Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: truck broke
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:12 am 

I was heading to the track yesterday and developed a small exhaust leak so I really didn't think much of it as I would look at it when I get there.. Well then it became a big leak so I pulled over and took a look and the O2 sensor was hanging next to the trans swinging back and forth :- ..
I used a piece of exhaust tubing to cover the hole and put a clamp on it and that worked out for the time being. I called Chuck on his cell and just asked it it will be ok to drive dragging the trailer as it was hesitating and shifting some what erratic. After talking to him all was well and should not be an issue driving it home as it's only a 30+ mile ride home and made it just fine...
Thanks Again Chuck for the long distance diagnostic help!!!!!!!
It's great to call someone when your not sure about something and get a answer to help you out and
put you at ease..... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

So speaking of Chuck.........Well how did you do????????? As he was on his way to a race =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject: Re: truck broke
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:46 pm 

It wasn't good for me, in fact I wish I hadn't gone. The track was crap and I nearly crashed my car. 1st time run I could feel the car skating and moving around a bunch from about 100' out. I asked the guy with the next quickest car how he did and he said he had the same problem from 3rd gear on. Mine started at the top of 2nd. The guy I ran next to on the 1st run said the left lane was loose and his car is quite a bit slower than mine. I tried that lane (left) for the second shot and it was worse, the car went pretty hard right and I had to lift. After talking about it with a couple of the guys with faster cars I went to have a talk with our director. I asked him if something could be done with the track and he said he would see what could he could do. He talked to the track personnel and they agreed to work on it. They did bring the tractor out and worked on it from the 1/8 to the 1/4 and I don't think they even sprayed that part. We were in the lanes for 1st round when I was told what working on the track amounted to and when I repeated to the director that I was having trouble from about 100' out he acted as if it was too late to change anything. After losing the coin toss and getting put in the worse lane (left) I considered dialing it real slow and trying to play the top of the track. Eddy wasn't with me this week and the guy that came suggested dialing a 8.35 so that's what we did. Same spot in the track the car made a hard right again, I lifted straightened it out and tried to hit the throttle again, it lit the slicks up and turned again at which point I just let out and coasted to a very slow 1st round loss. To say I was upset would be a gross understatement. I think I'm done with this series, probably just go back to bracket racing and maybe try Top Sportsman race or 2.

A little more info to put things in perspective. This race was held at Beech Bend and they run their regular program on Sundays and our events are always held on Saturdays. Saturday is a test and tune night for BB and it appears they do little track prep on T&T nights. Because of the heat we only had a handful of cars, 9 or 10 in QS and maybe 4 or 5 in SS and that included a guy that was entered in both classes. That was probably over 1/2 the total cars that were at the track so I think track management didn't want to put the effort or expense of prepping the track with no more cars than what they had there. UMTR normally runs with a hosting track's bracket event so car count is always better than this. The hosting track gets none of the entry fee, the UMTR keeps a part of it and the rest is divided up for payout so the track had even less incentive to put any effort into prep. Conditions being what they were I think the event should have been cancelled, just like you would if it had rained.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Chuck sorry to hear about your problems and believe me, I've seen my share of this too as I've only been testing since I started running this new to me car and I've seen a lot of crap race track prep and have the data logs to back that statement up. Track promoters/managers like to have the fast cars there to draw spectators but most have never even owned a car, and the few that have haven't had anything anywhere near as fast as you're running. Which means they don't have a clue!

At Piedmont last Thursday I was the fastest car there. Logs were showing me some tire spin down track but there was a couple of "Big Dog" cars there, ie, normally fun low 4s, and neither of them could get much further than 60ft so I was fortunate that I had 225" of wheelbase and much less HP to work with.

And a final note, this is the price we pay for going faster! [-(

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:10 pm 

I talked to the guy at our local track and he said he prep's the track the same as if it was a
race day on a T&T...And after yesterday I do think he does... =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:16 pm 

Chuck that sucks. Most any track won't put good prep on a T&T night. Usually BG is pretty good on Sat night but with the heat the way it is even good prep would have a bad track. =;

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:01 am 

Yeah Ken I've come to expect poor track prep on test nights but this was a race for UMTR. I don't know how the race was set up but it was stupid to try to put on a race program on a test & tune night. If they weren't going to prep the track for a race it should have been called off. I have discussed track problems with the director before and he said the contract they have with the hosting track states that they will provide a properly prepared race surface. When I voiced my concern about the condition of the track I expected him to enforce that part of the contract. He let us down as racers and put our safety at risk.

Barry, I'm glad you have a track you can count on. So how did testing go for you?

Steve I am aware that tracks around here don't prep well on test days and that's part of the reason I don't usually go to T&T. You can't really tell anything anyway. We have raced in heat like what we had Saturday before and the temperature wasn't the problem.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:56 am 

Testing for me went good as I tried the 1250 carb with E85 gas. Mark and Bruce gave me a tune up and the parts I needed to get it together. Car went almost as fast on the first run but not thinking I went the wrong way on the tune up on the second and 3rd run. So back to square one and me the car, and my truck almost came back in one piece =; ..I got the truck apart Sunday and the Y-pipe looks good and just need to get a O2 bung and mig it back on the pipe and I am going to get a new O2 sensor as I can't remember when if ever I changed it. I got a pair of stainless steel shorty headers on a closeout deal that were $50 bucks cheaper than 2 cast manifolds that only last a year or so and they crack, Yep china junk cast...
But overall the E85 was good and the stuff does run cooler and more manageable.
Still have some tuning to do.

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics