Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: data recording
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:06 pm 

Racers, I am ready to begin using a data recorder. We have a gas powered rail and our Performance Welding headers have an O2 bung in each collector.

So I want a system with at least:
* two, O2 sensors
* engine RPM
* driveshaft RPM
* fuel pressure

Let me hear about what you are using and what has it done to help the consistency of your runs?

Post subject: Re: data recording
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Larry Woodfin wrote:
Racers, I am ready to begin using a data recorder. We have a gas powered rail and our Performance Welding headers have an O2 bung in each collector.

* two, O2 sensors
* engine RPM
* driveshaft RPM
* fuel pressure

Let me hear about what you are using and what has it done to help the consistency of your runs?

Big question is, how much $$$$ do you have to spend? A good many of the systems out there now can do most of those things and more but you have to decide how much money you want to spend and remember that cheaper is not always better.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm 

I do not have a set money amount because I do not know the options. Once I learn what the market offers and the options available I will make a decision.

My first three desires;

*User friendly
*good support from the seller
*removable card to read data from PC

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

About the cheapest thing out there with an SD memory card is the Innovate DL-32. Since this is a modular system you will have to buy 2 LC-1 O2 sensors setups that are around $150 each and may be discounted "some" if you buy the whole system from one seller. I got mine from Greg Kelly at Motorsports Innovations up in Jersey and his tech support is second to none! I will caution you in that the Innovate systems are known to go bonkers once in a while and you have to work on it from time to time to keep stuff working right. I will also say though that the Innovate LC-1 O2 sensors are second to NONE in the industry! Those replacement O2 sensors are available at your local parts store for around $50 each.

Gearhead1011 sells the Computech systems and there's a few here that got them from him. From what I can remember they are pretty much trouble free after you get them setup, which gearhead1011 will help with I'm sure. I don't know if this system has the SD memory card feature or not?

The next system is a Race Pack Sportsman logger that is also sold by Greg Kelly and Scott Smith has one of those and is very happy with it as far as I know. It does have the SD card option as well.

As far as the Innovate system I have goes: Am I glad I got a logger? Yes. Would I buy another Innovate one? Probably not and I'd probably go with either the Race Pack from Greg or Computech from Chuck. Do I think they are a necessary tuning aid? Well, not sure on this as I raced a long time without one. I do believe they are a valuable tuning aid, but they are NOT a do all end all for tuning! The channels I would prefer are engine and driveshaft RPM and AFRs. All the rest is just info and not something that is that critical. Engine and shaft RPM will show you when tire spin slows you down and where. It won't tell you how to stop it though.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:55 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Do I think they are a necessary tuning aid? Well, not sure on this as I raced a long time without one.

Ken, I completely understand your comment. I have also raced a long time.

In my opinion, the engine and fuel combinations we run today are so different from what we ran in the "olden days" that we need all the help we can get. I also completely understand that nothing is a magic wand but good tools are a big help.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Larry I couldn't agree with you more on the way things have changed mainly due to the fact that so many guys are learning to do their own carbs. While O2s and such aren't mandatory they do help show you what the changes you made are doing, which is invaluable when you take that info and something as simple as a time slip and analyze the two, ie, split times off the slip along with AFRs during the run.

And as far as data goes, I always try to backup what it tells me somewhere else so I know it's not lying to me! ;-) Oh, and something else data will tell you is that all drivers lie! ;-)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:13 pm 

Larry Woodfin wrote:

* two, O2 sensors
* engine RPM
* driveshaft RPM
* fuel pressure

Barry and I are using the Computech DataPro dataloggers and other than a problem Barry had with an accelerometer I don't think there have been any problems. The Datapro has been discontinued and replaced with the DataMaxx which uses a SD card for data and configuration. I have sold a couple of the DataMaxx loggers and they seem to be as easy to use and trouble free as the DataPro that I have. To me the Computech software is easy to use and understand and that seems to be helpful when you're learning something new. I will agree with Ken's comment about it being a useful tool as far as telling you what happened on a run but it won't tell you how to fix it.

If you're interested in a DataMaxx just let me know and I can PM a price to you.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:06 am 

I've been looking around for a dual channel O2 system that is stand alone. I have a single channel O2 for our Super flow dyno (fast) and like the ability to see the info it gives us. I don't tune by it alone. I'm thinking the car would be a good place to monitor O2's, esp with the different tracks/conditions I'm subject to run in. I've been looking at the "Fast Digital Air". Thought it might be nice to hook it up to my airplane and check it out, too. Any input from you guys???

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics