Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

OK so this new scoop tray and scoop is on but I've got to figure out some way to hold it. The previous one was dual 4150 carbs and I just mounted that one off the 4 end carb studs. Since this 4500 doesn't have a way to do that, I've got to come up with something different.

Right now I have a K&N filter mounted with the 5/16x18 stud in the carb that will hold the scoop, tray and filter in place except for rotational movement. I had thought about putting some braces down to each head in front to 1. Prevent loading from possible lift down track @ 140+ MPH and 2. Prevent the scoop and tray from rotating on that filter mounting stud and turning around backwards?

So my main quesitons are.......

Do ya think a single 5/16x18 stud in that 4500 carb will be enough to hold the scoop/filter assembly on down track and 2. Can I run a single anti-rotation diagonal brace in the REAR of the scoop tray to a throttle linkage mount to prevent rotation?? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:55 pm 

Ken, I have a plate that goes under the carb with studs going up to the scoop tray, and also holds my throttle linkage. I have an open and now a 4 hole for a Dominator as well as a 4150 plate if I wanted to test a smaller carb. If you want I can try to scan it to an image.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:21 pm 

Ken - I have the same set-up as Jmark described, but over the winter I removed the 4 studs that went up to the bottom of the scoop tray (because they were always in the way when adjusting idle mixture screws) and installed the following part from J&J Performance:

http://www.jegs.com/i/J-J-Performance/560/JJDM1/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks jMark but I don't want to have to make that plate if I can get by without it. I've seen some of those Goza mounts that looked like they'd fly off any second.

MS, yeah but I'm trying not to spend any more money. You gots to remember that "I'm Cheap!" ;-)

I've got the entire thing mounted w/brace in rear and I think I'll go ahead and try it like it is. The frontal sq in area of this scoop is actually less than what I've run on the door car with 1/4" stud with zero problems so I think I'll give it a shot before I go to a bunch more trouble that "may" not be needed. After all, part of the air that hits the front of that thing is defused by the cage and my BIG head. Here is what I've got and keep in mind that I've got one of those scoops with a 6" round opening. And believe it or not, I've actually entertained thoughts of running without the scoop just to see if there is an advantage with it?? :-k So you KNOW I'm gonna try it just to prove it to myself that it's an advantage. =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

That 5/16 x 18 threaded rod has the following tensile strength:

Granger wrote:
Threaded Rod, Low Carbon Steel, Zinc Plated Finish, Overall Length 2 Ft, Thread Size 5/16-18, Thread Type Coarse, Thread Direction Right Hand, Grade Not Rated, Class 1A, Tensile Strength 60, 000 Lb

Lets just hope that the 4500 main body will hold somewhere near that. ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:39 pm 

Ken - I'm sure your setup will work fine and cheap is always good! I will say that it may run cooler if you hook up both radiator hoses =;

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:43 pm 

I've got the same type setup as Mark. Plate under carb with studs up to scoop tray.

I think a single 5/16" stud is strong enough to hold the scoop at lower speeds ... guessing in the 1/8th you'd be ok. I am not as sure in the 1/4 if you're running 170+mph that air starts pushing pretty hard on things. It may want to bend the scoop back bending the stud too.

JMO

Rick

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah Mark, I've got to get some fittings to connect that other side back up to the thermostat housing. That line ran in between the runners on that other intake but this one can't be done that way. That's the last piece of the puzzle that I'll get done tomorrow. I did burp the engine late this evening to make sure the wires were in the right place.

Rick I doubt this car will ever see much over 140 and hopefully both you and I are correct. ;-)

Thanks for the input guys.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

OK so after sleeping on this I decided to add a front brace down to the thermostat housing so that should do it regardless of how fast it goes.

Finished plumbing the cooling system this AM so now I guess I'll wait until tomorrow to run it and give the RTV time to setup.

Also got a gallon of tire treatment stuff yesterday so I'll start putting that on this afternoon.

If "Pit Bitch" weren't on vacation we'd be smelling smoke somewhere Sunday! =P~

I need to do some cleaning on the car anyway to get the burnout water and crap off it so I guess I'll work on that instead of racing this weekend.

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics