Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: howdy fellas
 Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:49 am 

been awhile, was out of town for a while working in savannah, ga. well anyway went racing last wednesdaynight. car was running and hooking well \:D/ , made a 9.52 pass, until the last pass
of the night when rear end decided it was time to let go. busted housing, bent pinion gear, and broke driveshaft(which just had a new set of u-joints installed)

it appears that weld(which it appeared to be sheared) around the perimeter around axle tubing at housing is just not enough surface area to support that kind of load.

so this time i decided to cut a 4" x 1/2" slot on either side of center section and added a gusset to inside of housing. will try to post some pics later on tonight.

well anyway have a safe and good day.

Post subject: Re: howdy fellas
 Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Congrats on making enough power to break s**t! That's yet another down side of heavy cars so ya just have to deal with it. ;-)

Were those brackets MIG welded? :-k A weld that is properly done "shouldn't" fail but, you can have a failure in the metal on either side of the weld.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:12 am 

I take it you are using a 12 bolt and the weld that failed is where the axle tube is welded to the cast center section? It sounds like it's all junk now so why not replace it with a 9 inch? I have welded several of the 8.8 Fords and 10 & 12 bolt Chevys and never had one fail that I know of. It sounds like you're making quite a bit of power and if the car is fairly heavy with the kind of power it takes to go that fast you might have to step up the driveline some.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:49 am 
Site Admin

For some reason I "assumed" this was a 9" Phord and it had broken around the bar to housing mount?

OK so maybe not, but I'm with Chuck if this is/was a 12/10 bolt and it broke where the tube goes into the cast center section. Since you're going to have to spend a lot of money to fix it, you might as well go ahead and put a Phord 9" in it while you're at it as it probably won't cost you that much more since so much stuff is likely horked up, ie, housing trash, ring and pinion trash, probably bent the axle = trash, bent driveshaft, etc. So all you got left is one axle and maybe the spool if the splines aren't horked in it also. O:)

FYI, I've setup 10 bolts, 12 bolts, Dana 60s and even a Dana 70 over the years. My first 9" was back around 2002 or so and and it was so easy I'll never put another rear loader in anything ever again!! I've even "considered" replacing the Dana 60 in the Studebaker with a 9"! Yeah, they're that easy to work on! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:02 pm 

its a 9" with a four link i put together about 5 years ago. mig welded.
i am still stumped on why it gave after two solid years and over 200 hundred passes. i am guessing fatique, lots of tire shake, bad weld.

well anyway all good, she will hold a battletank this time.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Reefer, I NEVER MIG anything on the housing!!! Too hard to get good penetration on thicker material with MIG unless you really know what you are doing. I always use a STICK welder with either a 1/8" 6013 or 7014 rod @ around 130 amps and BURN IT IN REALLY GOOD! Sorry but as I said, MIG welders "seem" to be easy to use for the occasional welder but they will fool you as what LOOKS good, may not be so hot! Welding is very much like sex. Without good penetration it's not worth a damn! \:D/

If the weld broke, then it WASN'T DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME! ;-)

Oh, and ask Jody about this! ;-)

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:52 pm 

yes you are right mig and sex. she will be tigged this time

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics