Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Testing the new combo
 Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 am 

I went to the Valley last night to test with mixed results. On the 1st attempt the clutch slipped a little too much which upset the chassis on what could be considered a marginal track at best. I ended up out of the groove by the time I got past the 60 and just couldn't drive back into it. By the time I got to the top of the track I was so close to the center line I took out a cone, I might not have actually hit it but was close enough for the wind off of my car to blow it away. I lifted 5 seconds into the run and clocked a 5.34 @ 123 MPH. That's the same MPH I ran at 5.60s so I'm certain if I could've stayed in it the pass would have been in the 20s even with the loose clutch and wheel spin. I tightened the clutch a little and after the burnout on the 2nd attempt I lost the clutch release. I pulled it out and found one of the pins for the release lever came out so I'm off to see the clutch guy this morning to see if he can hook me up. Then I'll put it back together and head to Edgewater. Looks like a busy Saturday morning for me.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:21 am 
Site Admin

I know what you mean about not being able to drive back into the groove as I've had that happen myself with this dragster and once or twice with the Camaro. In my case it "mignt" have went back but I wasn't comfortable with the amount of wheel I figured it was going to take to do that. Always best to error on the side of caution as there's always the "next pass" that way.

Ennywho, at least everything is still in one piece and you've got something to work with. Good luck today! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:10 am 

I Got out to Ky clutch around 8:30 and as Chris was fixing my plate I commented on how quiet it was for a Saturday morning. He said it was because he didn't open until 9:00. What a guy! It's back together and ready to load up. Looks like I can still leave on time.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:31 am 

Keep us posted Chuck sounds like you will be happy with the new combo it is making some steam! \:D/ \:D/

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:06 pm 

Good luck today \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ 5.30 is impressive considering you backed out of it.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:16 am 

I added a little more base to the clutch when I put it back in and it looks like it might still be a little light. 1st pass out of the trailer it went 5.23 through the 1/8 and 8.20 in the 1/4 at 165 MPH. The AFRs looked a little lean at 14.8-15.1 so I stepped the jets up. Next pass I went 8.25 and lost about .4 MPH. The weather didn't change much and on both passes I was late to 2nd gear. I left it the way it was and decided to make another pass determined to hit the gear changes. I ended up short shifting and think it may have bogged it some. On that I skated quite a bit and ran a 8.42 at 157 MPH. The shift points on this new engine are going to take some getting used to and it seems I am better off going past the shift point than I am shifting too soon. We left everything like it was for 1st round and dialed a 8.25 thinking I would be the fastest car there and could play the top end. Apparently the car that went out before me must have left a little water at the line and when I let the clutch out it made a hard right and that ended my night.

Last year at this track I would run 8.80-8.90 with the air the way it was today and I feel it has more in it. All 3 of my 60s were 1.17 and my lights were .035, .033, .022 and the last pass when it went sideways it was a .057.

Greg was playing with his new go-pro and when he gets the video edited and uploaded I'll post a link.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:28 am 

Wow Chuck 6 tenths of improvement!! And still may be more in it when you get the clutch happy!!!
Congrats with your new best and everything coming home in one piece =; \:D/ ..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:08 am 

That would take about +180HP more to gain that ET. =D>

Did you change gears (rear or trans) from before?

Rick

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:44 pm 

rick360 wrote:
Did you change gears (rear or trans) from before?
Rick

I changed the rear from a 5.43 to a 4.57. I used some calculators to determine the trap speed for the MPH at the estimated power/weight and figured it should run about 165 through the 1/4. Then I calculated what gear it would need to travel that speed at about 7500 RPM. I expected this engine to be done at 7600 and figured the gear would give me a little room. It trapped right at 7450 on the 8.20 run.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:07 pm 

Good to hear the numbers. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Maybe in great air you could see some 7's!! \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:42 pm 

Been trying to do a 7 for some time now but don't look like it's going to happen to me... But did get that 170 mph =; I pulled 4.57 out and replaced it with 4.30 as my trap rpm was 8600 and after the swap it's now 7600 in good air.
My MPH on a calculator is way off but like the MPH as it's tough for the other guys to figure on the top end.... =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:53 pm 

So why was the AFR's like they were and not like on the dyno?

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
So why was the AFR's like they were and not like on the dyno?

Lemmie take a stab at this one. Because we don't race dynos and or that dyno isn't going 170 MPH at max RPM.

My second guess would be air management around the carb at speed, or the lack thereof which "could" be included in the things going wrong in guess number one. ;-)

As usual, you mileage may vary! =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:28 pm 

My carbys dont vary from the dyno to the race track. Either holleys or smartcarbys, it doesnt matter. This is a long way out, something must be causing that.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
My carbys dont vary from the dyno to the race track. Either holleys or smartcarbys, it doesnt matter. This is a long way out, something must be causing that.

Keywords here are "My Carbys" as you put it! :-k I don't think we have any of those here in the "States". At least no one that I know of.

FYI, there's been more than one person on this board that has had AFR "issues" down track that wound up being an air management problem (say hood scoop) cured by something as simple as the infamous "flute" attached to the vent tubes!! If you do a search here you'll find said data backed up with graphs from an Innovate logger!

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics