Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Well, it's consistent!
 Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:13 pm 

Last weekend was the first races of the year and I decided to run both days. Saturday I was out in first round, some issues with my front wing and the tree ended up causing me to red-light......Oh well. Race again next day. I made a small change to the car before my first pass and then in 1st time trial, ran an 8.554. Problem was, I cut an .043 red. I figured it was just me, so I decided to leave the delay alone. Second run of the day, 8.555, .007 red. Good thing they were just time trials!!! I still figured it was me and not my delay, so I decided to leave the delay alone, and dialed a 8.55 for first round. My opponent dialed a 7.82. He cut a .064 light, ran a 7.779 on the 7.82 dial. Me, I ran a 8.554 on an 8.55 dial, but gave it to him on guess what??? A .040 red!!! So now I'm changing the delay before next race! Not going to let that happen again! Car is consistent though, can't complain! Who says you can't run a three speed in a dragster????? I had fun though, and will keep working on the car, as it's still slow for what it is. I found out my cam is WAY too small for my heads, intake, and motor size, so a new one is in the works! Old one will be for sale as soon as a replacement is ordered, if anybody wants one! Can't wait until next race though!

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

LINELOCK. Get in the car, start it then put it in low gear and activate the transbrake. Then have someone rock the car back and forth and tell me how much it moves! If it's like mine you're gonna see an inch or two of movement even with the transbrake locked down.

THAT is why one of the first things I mounted on my car was a LINELOCK and I have it wired into my transbrake circuit with an on and off switch for backing the car up (pro brake valve body). I also done this with every door car I've owned since that 68 Camaro.

Not saying this IS your problem, only that it "could" be!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:46 pm 

Actually Ken, what I found was the spill plates on the front wing hang too low. They just "tickle" the top of the lights and false trigger them. What happened was I pulled forward until the top light came on. Crept a little more and the top went out, bottom came on. I thought I had deep staged, but when the tree came down, it showed red in my lane. I rolled forward a bit more, and top light came on again, then bottom like they are supposed too. So between now and the next race I got me some trimming to do!

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Check the car movement on the trans brake anyway. I think you'll be surprised at what you find! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:17 pm 

I do have more movement than I would like. I'm considering installing the line lock for that reason, but it's low on the list! I need to put more cam in this thing, and I also need to finish my intake manifold test I'm doing! Dang, the list never ends!!!!

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Mark you only need the line lock when you're staged so I just ran power for that off the transbrake circuit and put a switch on the dash so I could turn it off while I was backing up. If your TH400 doesn't require the solenoid to be engaged for reverse, then you could just connect that line lock solenoid directly to the delay box or the line going to the Tbrake. Some delay boxes do have a dedicated circuit for the line lock so check that too before you connect one up.

FYI, and you may already know this, but that TH tranny eats up about 22 more HP than a glide unless its full of high dollar light weight low friction parts and even if it does, it will still use up more HP to friction than a Glide.

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:54 pm 

I do have a separate output for a line lock that can be used for staging, but like I said, it's low on the list. Trans isn't exactly a low dollar unit, it's pretty trick, and I can get reverse in neutral by pressing the brake, or by going into reverse, so no worries with the line lock wiring once it's in. I just have to set the delay box for it. I did figure out something that I thought was messed up, and that's my trans not going back into neutral immediately from reverse. I forgot that the delay feature was still working!!! No worries there, just need to wait a second before I rev it or try to go into first. I'll look at the directions for the box, as I think I can wire it up so the delay is bypassed while I'm backing. I won't run a glide in anything!!! Just not a glide fan! If I must run a two speed, it'll be lenco drive. Just me and my preferences. I'm pretty happy with the car right now, just is falling flat on the top end, and after much head scratching, tuning, and input, I've found I don't have enough cam in it. Big motors like mine like a different profile than what I'm running, mainly on the lobe separation. I'm working on a new one, but will take a bit as my money is pretty thin right now......I guess my biggest issue was the tree, and I've got that figured out, so hopefully I'll be on the money with that too!! For me though, it's all about having fun, and I am. Plus I like running a combo that everyone tells me won't work, because it does. I like to be different with my stuff and this definitely is!!!

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics