Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:52 am 

nomad wrote:
I suspect avgas may qualify here. Especially, for those use 110 octane race gas. While I haven't been able to find it again I had a nice spec sheet for Shell 100LL. As I recall it was pretty close to 110 in most areas. Including lead which was 3gr per gallon. A lot of race gas retailers say we shouldn't run it. I say let's see it in writing. Put the specs or MSDS's together and lets see. Anyone up for this?

THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH AVGAS IS HOT SUMMER AT THE SHORE!
it has some high aromatics and is meant to work cold ,injected and at low adr
the heat and psi of a carbed race car is brutal on the vapor lock as it has a trade off to work at altitude . there is enough lead to mix it with high test pump gas and get better than the average mix,r+m/2 would suggest. or cut a race gas down with to save some $
think e-85 in reverse

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:20 am 

ADAMSVEGA wrote:
the heat and psi of a carbed race car is brutal on the vapor lock as it has a trade off to work at altitude . there is enough lead to mix it with high test pump gas and get better than the average mix,r+m/2 would suggest. or cut a race gas down with to save some $
think e-85 in reverse

That may be an issue on a street driven car but not a full time drag car. Keep the engine temps on the cooler side and fuels that vaporize well make more power. Look at the RVP and vaporization curves of Q16, C23, and C25. It's why they make very good power, when the fuel vaporizes better in the induction the distribution between the cylinders is better, the engine can be leaned a little overall, and it makes more power. I have not see a vapor lock issue in a long time. I'd have no issue running av-gas as long as the compression is reasonable.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:23 am 

cuslog wrote:
Google searched for "E85 BC Canada" ....... says only 3 E85 stations in Canada, all in Ontario +- 2,000 miles from me. So, I guess I won't be burning E85 anytime soon. :-s

WELL ORDER UP 2 DRUMS OF 99.9% PURE ETHANOL (DENATURED) AND MIX .
mix it 50 gals to 7.5 gal of race gas,hi-test or avgas then add 1/2 bottle of favorite scented lube and 1 pint of acetone (stabilizer) and stir ....i'm sure we can set you up a base tune up for a carb conversion . you need 33% more volume ,a screen filter and alky regulator , no foam in tank .

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Hummm? Leaded gas mixed with ethanol? O:) Are you sure about that one Adam? :-k

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:07 am 

If you can buy pure ethanol then just run that.
You cant mix leaded fuels with alcohols.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:24 am 

heres an alternative race part for ya.
Mucking around with a speedcar one day and needed a bypass regulator so dug a plumbing tap out of the box and drilled a hole where the washer goes into the spindle to receive a spring out of a ball point pen. Put the spring around the shaft of the washer and reassembled the tap. POP one by pass regulator. Worked perfectly.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:18 am 

jmarkaudio wrote:
ADAMSVEGA wrote:
think e-85 in reverse

That may be an issue on a street driven car but not a full time drag car. Keep the engine temps on the cooler side and fuels that vaporize well make more power. Look at the RVP and vaporization curves of Q16, C23, and C25. It's why they make very good power, when the fuel vaporizes better in the induction the distribution between the cylinders is better, the engine can be leaned a little overall, and it makes more power. I have not see a vapor lock issue in a long time. I'd have no issue running av-gas as long as the compression is reasonable.

FROM MY SIDE , the specific gravity is lower and it needed more jet ,just like q-16 . it made more power than old cam 2 purple .showing my dated perspective ... i got mine from the air base after doing "fuel samples" and the local airport by the drum ...it worked awsome .untill i was hot lapping in two classes and it burped in both finals . anything i could do to keep car cool was done ... only thing i could not control was manifold temp and under hood temps ...those carb bowls were hot. ...went injection the next day with my runner ups money and never looked back . a freind/ engineer at sunoco looked at my combo and partners bbc set up and told us that he really has no ideal fuel for that and mixxing it would only way to ensure its best results ...he mixed up a drum of race108 & pump94 with some stabilizers for chris to try and the car was WAY more consistent hot to cold and less sensitve to DA change .he had to go up 2 jets . we asked about av gas and our problem we had and he told us its limitations and that using acetone as stabilizer would allow it to mix with unleaded and keep without venting off good stuff . at 50% he said was good for under 12-1 with steel heads ..this stuff is probilly dated since VP has like 30 blends now for all engine uses and e-85 works down to 10.0-

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:50 pm 

What pill boxes are really for. I have one for 6-32, 8-32, and 10-32. I need one for 4-40 stuff.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:28 pm 

OK what's the 4-40 for :-k HUMMMM that seems to be why there is a shortage of brass set screws :-

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:39 pm 

4-40 for BLP wide body blocks, they use it in the kill bleed. Also plugging some metering block emulsion passages a 4-40 can be used.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:12 am 

I had a converter that leaked a few drops when I was on it and had a hard time finding it. Long story short I got this from a buddy that works for the phone company. Can't remember what they use it for but I clamped it on the snout of the converter and put 90+ psi in it an squirted some soap around it and there was a small pin hole in the weld on the snout...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics