Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:53 pm 

From what I heard the car was deemed "illegal" by visual inspection without even putting the templates on the car. That is a recipe for favortism or the reverse.

Rules should have a definite specification and way of checking for that dimension. No way should any rule be by visual inspection. There are NO two people that would always see it the same. I hope JJ gets this overturned in appeal.

They can already use the old Section 12-1 rule "actions detrimental to stock car racing" when they want. That is used for things that can only be subjective.

Rick
PS: I'm not necessarily a JJ fan, but I am a Knaus fan. =D>

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

According to Rick Hendrick, Chad and other team members, this exact same car went through tech on MULTIPLE occasions last season with zero problems?? And all of a sudden it's "illegal", with as you say a "visual" inspection?? Even as much as I despise that 48 car, I don't see it either Rick. :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:49 am 

There's a lot riding on any decision regarding cheating . NASCAR has many , many , many faults , but accusing one of the top teams of cheating without having plenty of proof wouldn't be one of them . The internet story floating around about the call being made on visual evidence alone is pretty hard to believe . I imagine part of the Hendrick defense is true , the car did pass inspection several times last season , but they neglected to mention that the car had probably been changed for this season .
The question is , how long is Lowes going to put up with having their name dragged through the mud every year by the 48 team .

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Looks like it's "D" day for the 48 team as the appeal is being heard this morning.

Interesting note here, those "C" pillars had been through 16 tech inspections prior to being targeted at Daytona this year and this year's car had never had the template mounted on it by NASCAR when they confiscated it.

Why don't they just do like the IROC series did and have one builder do all the cars and engines!! THAT seems to be where the series is headed and has been for a while now.

Or they could let the Government build them and that would make it "fair" for everyone. ;-)

Or maybe even make it a "claimer" series? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like the 48 car team lost the appeal. Hendrick says he's going to take it to the next level.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:20 pm 

I wonder WHAT was wrong with the C-post that can be seen w/o templates and had passed inspection before. Nobody has said yet what had been modified or how it was modified.

I think Nascar thought something was up (probably rightly so) after the comments over the radio last Fall at one of the races (Talladega I think) when Knaus reminded Johnson to hit something in the rear during the burnout if they won. So Nascar had a closer look.

Rick

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:25 am 

At the rate they're dragging this out , they can keep knaus in the pits for several more races . The boards that these appeals are going through consist of mostly retired and semi-retired business men from pretty much the same area of the country . I don't know why it takes weeks to get these guys together for a hearing .

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Rick they did get a "warning" last year but I don't remember if it was because of that comment. One of their cars was carried to the R&D center and gone over with a fine tooth comb and while they didn't say it was outright illegal, they did warn them that it was very close. Maybe this was it?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:58 pm 

The 25 points and the suspensions were rescinded. They will get probation and the $100k fine will stay.

http://www.nascar.com/news/120320/cknaus-jjohnson-rhendrick-win-final-appeal/index.html

Still wish I could SEE what they had done that you can tell is illegal w/o templates. Nobody has really elaborated about what was done to the C-pillars.

Rick

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 pm 

if they have templates and they fit the car how can they claim it is illegal.. That is not good and may curve teams back from adding to the sport nascar can go down hill real quick by going against their own rules..

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:42 am 

Things worked out well for everyone . NASCAR was allowed to save face by not having the penalty thrown out completely and Hendrick and the 48 team ended up with the only part of the penalty that would have no effect on them .

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics