Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Engine Dyno Project
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:23 am 

I've been looking for an engine dyno for cheap for a while and I ran across an old (but not much use) Go-Power water brake absorber for a really good deal. I bought it last weekend and will be planning and building a complete engine dyno using this absorber. I also bought a fast acting 4-20ma pneumatic control valve to go with it.

Lots of work ahead to get this fully functional, but should be a lot cheaper than buying a complete dyno. A homemade dyno should go nicely with my homemade flow bench. =D>

I have a couple of other projects to finish before diving into this. Doing research for now and looking at a lot of options for various ways of doing the different pieces of this puzzle.

Frame construction
Data Acquisition
Load/RPM control
Connection to engine
Accessories like pumps and fans
Room construction

After building this then the real fun begins ... =;

Rick

Post subject: Re: Engine Dyno Project
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:02 pm 

rick360 wrote:
I've been looking for an engine dyno for cheap for a while and I ran across an old (but not much use) Go-Power water brake absorber for a really good deal. I bought it last weekend and will be planning and building a complete engine dyno using this absorber. I also bought a fast acting 4-20ma pneumatic control valve to go with it.

Lots of work ahead to get this fully functional, but should be a lot cheaper than buying a complete dyno. A homemade dyno should go nicely with my homemade flow bench. =D>

I have a couple of other projects to finish before diving into this. Doing research for now and looking at a lot of options for various ways of doing the different pieces of this puzzle.

Frame construction
Data Acquisition
Load/RPM control
Connection to engine
Accessories like pumps and fans
Room construction

After building this then the real fun begins ... =;

Rick

Data Acquisition...if it's for use to get performance number from the car a V-box works nicely and doesn't cost too much.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:57 am 

Disturbed wrote:
Data Acquisition...if it's for use to get performance number from the car a V-box works nicely and doesn't cost too much.

The data acquisition is for the dyno to collect the necessary data during a dyno pull.

Rick

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 am 

I had a stuska dyno about 20 years ago. ALL gauges were mechanical. It only took one pull to realize I couldn't collect the info fast enough with pencil and paper even with 3 guys trying. A good friend, Steve Foster (he ran Top Fuel and Pro Mod a while back), had the same dyno and same problem which was solved by a suggestion from his wife while watching them scramble to write everything down, she said why don't you use a VCR then you can play it back and pause it at each RPM to write everything down. So my data acquisition was a VCR (VHS) played back on the TV. Cheap and effective.

Good luck on your project, I learned a lot on that old dyno.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:50 am 

Slowpoke wrote:
I had a stuska dyno about 20 years ago. ALL gauges were mechanical. It only took one pull to realize I couldn't collect the info fast enough with pencil and paper even with 3 guys trying. A good friend, Steve Foster (he ran Top Fuel and Pro Mod a while back), had the same dyno and same problem which was solved by a suggestion from his wife while watching them scramble to write everything down, she said why don't you use a VCR then you can play it back and pause it at each RPM to write everything down. So my data acquisition was a VCR (VHS) played back on the TV. Cheap and effective.

Good luck on your project, I learned a lot on that old dyno.

Great idea ... Funny how someone away from the problem can sometimes see the solution better than the ones in the middle of it.

I hope to have a computer doing the recording for mine, but that is a great idea.

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:19 pm 

A computer is definitely the way to go.

I think it was a great idea also.

A lot of times someone that shouldn't have a clue about what the problem is can offer an opinion that will get the experts thinking in a new direction. It's amazing how that works, but I have seen it happen over and over again in many of different areas. Usually it's because everyone has tunnel vision or preconceived ideas about how something should work, and the "new guy" is looking at the problem from a completely different angle with no, or little "experience" to cloud their thinking.

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics