Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: GONE!
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

This is the last picture I'll post of this car.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: GONE!
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:54 pm 

I am sure your glad to see it go but that was a good car!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the sale \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah Barry, Faye looked at me this morning and asked if I was sure I wanted to let it go?? If I had plenty of money I'd have kept it as I did have a lot of fun driving that car. But I'm sure that Sheldon French (new owner) will enjoy it too and now I can concentrate on getting the dragster to run as consistent as that Camaro did the last time out.

Oh, and the guy that came with the buyer was all over the Studebaker!! Asked what I wanted for it and I laid a number on him and he didn't flench a bit?? OOPS! To be honest, I think I'll hear from him again in the not too distant future! And then what?? :- :-k #-o

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:31 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:

Oh, and the guy that came with the buyer was all over the Studebaker!! Asked what I wanted for it and I laid a number on him and he didn't flench a bit?? OOPS! To be honest, I think I'll hear from him again in the not too distant future! And then what?? :- :-k #-o

You find a new car to replace it with, another new challenge!!! \:D/

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:
You find a new car to replace it with, another new challenge!!! \:D/

No Mark, [-X this Undercover dragster will likely be my LAST race car!! I can't see me doing this but a few more years and I'll be done. The expense alone is a killer, not to mention the older I get, the more I wonder why I keep doing this! When you get to be my age you'll understand what I mean! ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:02 pm 

Congrats on the sell! Must've been priced reasonable. There's a number of bracket cars in my local area thats been sitting Idle thanks to this wonderful economy. Some have been For Sale but with not too reasonable prices.
Ken, how old are ya? I'm 44 and have ben having similar thoughts that you posted about racing/the $$ involved.

I add up what I spend on the play toys here (4 Stangs) and it always comes back to this thought. I have a 69 Mustang convert. Totally stock and I've rebuilt pretty much all the suspension,steering,upgraded the brakes.....etc
That car is fun and there's no entry fee's at the track gate, no gas to feed the F250 to drag it to the track, no real maintenance to hop-n and go get ice cream....lol

Then the next day I'm all about modifying/changing something on the Foxbody in search of a better ET.

I swear this stuff is like a drug/alcohol addition!!!...lol

Tater

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Tater I was 66 years old last September. I'm on social security and what little bit of savings I have and have been using the interest off that to play but when the economy went south, so did the interest I was getting on that money so race funds will be scarce this season. 2% interest on my savings doesn't generate very much $$ to play with. I can stay home, drink liquor and watch TV a whole lot cheaper than what it costs going to the race track!! \:D/

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:36 pm 

Ken ok. Your in my parents age frame so to speak. They're in the same situation on earning $ from their savings thru many years of saving!
I agree 110% on the costs going to the track compared to staying home.

Last year I only made it to the local track 3 times. First time out the MSD dizzy took a crap backing outta the trailer, luckily I got my entry fee back. The other 2 times I went I won the bracket class I was in. Which was a 1st for me...lol
What made my day was seeing the look on my 9 yr old daughters face and getting our pic in the Winners Circle!!! That was priceless!!! I've been going and racing since 1985 at the local track and never actually Won. Got a few runner-up trophies. Yeah, I've been a loser...lol

Hang-in there Ken and don't dip into the Liquor bottle too much.

Tater

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:28 am 
Site Admin

Yeah Sergey I hear what you're saying, but my mind keeps writing checks now that my body can't cash! Men on my Dad's side of the family don't live to be real old. He died of a major heart attack @ 45 and my uncle and aunt (Dad's brother & sister) died at 72 & 74 of the same thing.

With the back problems I have I can see a time coming when I won't be able to get in and out of anything with a cage in it let alone roll around on the floor working on one. There's hardly a day that goes by now that I'm not on pain meds (tramadol) and if you could see my back Xrays you'd know what I mean.

But enough of all this as I'll keep at it until I can't and cross that bridge when I get to it!! \:D/

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:44 pm 

Glad to hear you sold the car. Its tough enough to keep one let alone two or three.

Would you mind sharing what you got for it and what was included?

I'm also interested in how you sold it. Was it just word of mouth, or did to have it advertised all over the place?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:23 am 

think i would have shed a tear to see her go.
at least i did back about ten years ago when i sold my 69 chevelle.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:36 am 
Site Admin

themadreefer wrote:
think i would have shed a tear to see her go.
at least i did back about ten years ago when i sold my 69 chevelle.

Yeah I really did hate to see it go as I'd had that thing for 6 years now and had gotten it to where it was pretty quick and consistent too. But we always have to go faster though and about the only way I could see doing that and feeling comfortable driving was with one of them long skinny cars. If you get one of those things crossed up then you've probably done something REALLY stupid!!

While the dragster won't ever replace the Camaro, it does have it's own positive attributes that I can build on if I can afford to get it to a race track this summer!! :-({|= If diesel fuel prices do what they are saying they will do then I'm probably going to go less and sit at home more, which will be really good for the distilleries. =;

Oh, and the guy that bought it called me a couple of days later and he's tickled pink with it already!! He runs an automotive machine shop up in Ruckersville, Va and said he's going to build an SBC for it so the car will need little work to make that happen. I just hope that he has as much fun with it as I did cause that thing was a blast to drive!! \:D/ \:D/

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:41 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
themadreefer wrote:
Oh, and the guy that bought it called me a couple of days later and he's tickled pink with it already!! He runs an automotive machine shop up in Ruckersville, Va and said he's going to build an SBC for it so the car will need little work to make that happen. I just hope that he has as much fun with it as I did cause that thing was a blast to drive!! \:D/ \:D/

It's always great to hear the new owner is 'pumped' about their new toy. It really makes it a win-win for all involved.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:17 pm 

J_6961 wrote:
Ken0069 wrote:
themadreefer wrote:

It's always great to hear the new owner is 'pumped' about their new toy. It really makes it a win-win for all involved.

Agreed. It's nice to hear about a win/win.

I'm 39 and know that the car I have right now is my last one. I want to retire one day. If I can keep myself from spending too much money, I'll have the house paid off in 11 more years and I'll work a few more after that just to build up a bigger savings...then call it quits.

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics