Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Daytona Testing, NASCAR
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Friday afternoon test session: Friday's afternoon test session is underway. After 160 of 240 scheduled minutes, the five fastest drivers and some notes:
#51-KuBusch 206.058
#78-Smith 206.053
#18-KyBusch 205.813
#27-Menard 205.100
#29-Harvick 205.095

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

Speed numbers are up pretty good so you can look for NASCAR to do something to bring those down. I've read where the new rules limit the drivers to about 8 laps of drafting before they have to get into clean air. That might not be enough to prevent a drafting win though, which sucks.

IMHO, take all the restrictor plates off, put 300 CU IN limits on super speedway engines and let'em have at it! \:D/ That way the "cream of the crop" will run out front where they belong and the rest will wind up in "the big one" of their own making! Gauwd, I do hate NASCARs rules!!! Sometimes I wonder if the "IROC" bunch isn't running them now! :-

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:03 pm 

They were testing the EFI Also. They will make the programs all the same.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:05 pm 

The air was VERY cold here today, probably helped the numbers a bit.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:12 pm 

I find Nascar confusing and boring in an engineering sense. Why they chose to go with a common throttle body manifold is beyond me. It seems to me that approach doesnt eradicate all the issues of distribution requiring more intense tuning regimes. They could have used IR trumpets with injectors at the top like every other top line EFI system and taken some benefit from others experiences, instead they go with a single plane manifold. :-s

If they need to reduce power that an IR setup would provide then just place rev limits on the engines. Seems a simple easy to police system to me. Nascar is almost like its not there for the teams benefit but rather the organizations benefit. An organization must not forget who it is that makes the organization, things like revolutions do happen from time to time.

I think its good that they now allow EFI but they made it compulsory. So instead of introducing a different technology that has different aspects and allow teams to pick and choose they just mandate. They mandated the carby rules too I know, but I hate that attitude in racing. Too much mandating just makes it similar to playing a computer game.
What I find objectionable is mandating to a brand. I think its fair enough to control race track speeds for safety reasons etc but dont control brand choice or innovation. Have rules like intake area etc if you need to but dont stifle innovation of how to optimize.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:05 am 

One thing NASCAR wants to avoid is innovation . When they've let the racers and manufacturers design the cars , things like the winged MOPARS and 9/10s scale T-Birds showed up . So the rules were tightened to eliminate technology in the name of close racing and easy policing . Not that the tight rules make for slow race cars . I remember a test that took place by a car magazine in 1986 that compared the top speed of Al Holberts' Porsche 962 LeMans car to the Chevy Monte Carlo of Harry Hyde driven by Tim Richmond . The test was for top speed only , and the Monte Carlo was the winner by far . In race legal form it was clocked at i believe 226 mph . The Holbert car was several mph slower . When Hyde was allowed to lower the Monte Carlo and streamline the nose a bit the speed jumped to 240 mph . When the Holbert car was allowed to use the special LeMans tail section , they were able to get up to around 228 i believe . One thing NASCAR and the insurance companies don't want is that type of speed on the tracks .
In spite of the outward appearance of ancient tech , NASCAR teams employ some of the brightest engineers and designers in racing . Every time a rules change is made to slow the cars , it takes very little time for the teams to get back everything lost and sometimes even more . I think the particular design of the EFI system they are using is to keep the cost down , minimize the ability of the teams to experiment , and keep the system easy to regulate . A throttle body type EFI fits that bill perfectly .

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:26 pm 

Throttle body single plane EFI costs more money to correct the tune than an IR setup. There must be some other reasoning behind the decision.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:25 pm 

Tuning this particular EFI isn't a consideration for NASCAR . They assume , and correctly so , that the engine builders and engineers for the various teams will figure out the correct tune up . When they issue a new size restrictor plate , or a different size spoiler , or a different size radiator inlet , NASCAR isn't really worried about making it work , that's a problem for the competitors to wrestle with .
What NASCAR does not want is to give the teams any more development potential than absolutely necessary . And an individual runner EFI system would give those guys more development potential than NASCAR is interested in policing . That's why fuel injection and computers haven't been a part of NASCAR until now , but the manufacturers and to a certain extent the fans have been pushing for cars that at least have a little bit to do with modern automotive technology .

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics