Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Diablosport Predator
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:12 am 

Hey Guys... I installed my Diablosport Predator today... Played with the tunes a little and ended up with the 85hp and 195 Torque tune.(Puts the truck at 385HP and 695 Foot Pounds of Torque) \:D/ \:D/
I have to say the truck drives now like it should have from the factory. It has always ran good and pulled great but light throttle and passing could be improved. So I got the programmer used and had Diablesport unlock it. The tune says it will improve fuel milage so I just refilled it up and will be hand calculating it.. We will see what it says.

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject: Re: Diablosport Predator
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:52 pm 

Cool. Keep us updated on the mileage. =;

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Don't know much of anything about the electronic controlled diesels but I can tell you that every time I've tweaked the power on my pre electronic Cummings I've gotten both more power and also more MPG! My 93 Dodge (pre electronics) gets 23.7 MPG running empty and I've gotten close to 14 MPG pulling the trailer loaded. Only problem with mine has been that the additional power has proceeded to break s**t, ie, I've been through one Getrag 360, pushed the lock nut off 5th gear in an NV4500 and also broken a Dana 70 rear gear!!?? But yeah, tweaking one does have it's advantages, and disadvantages! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:31 pm 

Quit speed shiftin' !!! =;

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:38 pm 

Ken must be a gorilla on the gear lever, he must get that look just like those Ed Roth hotrod cartoons with those bloodshot eyes and think everything is a christmas tree. Oh by the way have a nice Christmas. See the nice way I linked in drag racing and christmas. All the best Ken.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

FYI guys, I've NEVER jerked the truck around since I bought it. Yeah, I've been one that went WFO after the clutch is out but never done an "Ed Roth" rat s**t on it from the day I bought it back in 12/of 1999!

FYI, after it pushed the 5th gear lock nut off in that NV4500 in 9/10 I've since not held it in 5th overdrive with boost over 20psig. So far (knock on wood) that 5th gear nut double nut I put on is still on and next time it comes off, I'm going to buy another new pair and WELD THEM TO THE OUTPUT SHAFT!!! O:) The stuff that's in it now is basically "junk" anyway so welding won't really hork it up any more than it's already horked up!!! Good part about it is that even if that 5th gear nut comes off, you still have 4th gear DIRECT to get you home! \:D/

But my main point was that ANY increase in HP and torque will result in the weakest point in the power train experiencing failure! s**t happens! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:50 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
FYI guys, I've NEVER jerked the truck around since I bought it. Yeah, I've been one that went WFO after the clutch is out but never done an "Ed Roth" rat s**t on it from the day I bought it back in 12/of 1999!

yeah right Ken we believe ya, no worries mate, used to dream of being a used car salesman did ya? 20psi max yeah real funny. What the gauge stop there does it? =;

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
yeah right Ken we believe ya, no worries mate, used to dream of being a used car salesman did ya? 20psi max yeah real funny. What the gauge stop there does it? =;

Nope. The boost gauge is an ISS Pro that reads to 30 psig and that Cummins WILL peg it now in 3rd and or 4th gear direct. So I'm leaving a fair amount of power on the table by limiting 5th OD to 20 psig. Just something I decided to try to keep that 5th gear nut from coming off the shaft again. Oh, and BTW, this Cummins would only do around 20 pisg W. F. O. on a good day in ANY gear before I modified it. ;-)

Bruce, if you get a chance, take a look at the overdrive gear layout on an NV4500 tranny and you'll see what I'm talking about. Piss poor tranny design IMHO but even at that, slightly better than the Getrag 360 that came in the truck from the factory, which is a P. O. S. that I horked up TWICE. And from what I understand, the NV 5600 6 speed is just as bad as the NV4500 and a lot more expensive to work on??

Bottom line is that the drive line wasn't designed to hold up to what that modified Cummins is able to put out! ;-) "A man has to realize his limitations!" Quote from Inspector Harry Callahan in the movie "Magnum Force"! ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:45 pm 

yeah well when you hotrod stuff your gunna break it.
So why does it back the nut off? I remember when I was kid my dad fixed that problem on a quickchange diff in the sprintcar by making a split nut. The nut was cut with a hacksaw from a flat down to the thread and then fitted with a clamp bolt through the hexagon so that you did the nut up then tightened the clamp bolt so it grabbed extra hard onto the shaft. Did I make it clear how to do it?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:49 pm 

Ive checked them out and it looks like it should have been a left hand thread. Pretty poor design.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
Ive checked them out and it looks like it should have been a left hand thread. Pretty poor design.

Mine pushed the threads OUT of the inside the nut! The thread material was on the magnet in the case and there's ZERO therads left inside the nut! FYI, I put TWO nuts on mine last winter. Machined the taper off one and screwed the second one up behind the other. Tack welded the two together then pulled them off and welded them solid. Then put them back on with 4 set screws locking them to the main shaft along with RED Loctite. I'll bet that they still come off some time down the road and when they do, THEN it will get two more nuts and a solid weld job to the output shaft. It's already junk so that process won't hork it up any worse than it already is.

FYI, it's a piss poor design to put any gear on a shaft hanging off the back end of the tranny output shaft to be held on with a nut of any kind. It needs to have another piece of cast iron to mount a bearing and a positive capture device on the OD end of the tranny. That 5th gear was an add on to what was orginally a 4 speed tranny, which was bullet proof until it became an add on 5 speed OD. A large number of them failed with completely STOCK Dodge Cummins engines in front of them.

FWIW, mine was originally built (by me at my expense) with a "mod" that was suppose to eliminate this problem. Less than two years later it did it anyway??? So much for the "bullet proof" fix, hey!! ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:02 pm 

That a very severe problem isnt it. How the hell does it push threads out of the nut?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:36 am 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
That a very severe problem isnt it. How the hell does it push threads out of the nut?

All helical cut gears create axial loads. So the 5th gear on the counter shaft is cut so under load it tries to push back towards the case and the other gear that mounts on the shaft has an equal and opposite reaction, ie, it tries to go in the other direction, but is "suppose" to be held in place by that big nut. The driven gear on the output shaft has a spline and and smooth ID. What happens is that the splines have "some" slack in them and over time they work back and forth and eventually wear inside of that gear to where it also wears material off both ends releasing some of the torque that's on the nut. It then eventually wears enough that the whole assembly is loose and the threads finally wear out because of the slack. Here is what is "suppose" to be the ultimate fix for this problem. And notice the price!! O:)

http://quad4x4.com/NV4500%205th%20Gear% ... utions.htm

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:43 am 

Thats a good article. But the whole thing is ridiculous. Its just cheap engineering to make the box like that in the first place.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:15 am 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
Thats a good article. But the whole thing is ridiculous. Its just cheap engineering to make the box like that in the first place.

Well yeah! I think I already brought that up in a previous post up the page.

Dayumn, did we do a good job of hijacking Jody's thread or what!! O:)

Sorry Jody! I'm done!!

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics