Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:49 pm 

Number 8 intake (sb2) body broke and the axle got stuck between the rear counter weight and the rear main cap. It kicked the cap back so hard that it broke the thrust flange off of the crank! O:) Bent the crank too. I peened it straight and had bullet weld and grind the flange, cam only needed a regrind, two new rods, and a new set of Comp lifters. I thought for sure it would be a grenade but this combo now has 111 passes on it and the filter is always clean. Kinda crazy.

Denis

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:25 pm 

Crower or Isky for lifters.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

Crower HIPOs here and about 815lbs on the nose of the cam. Changed them out last winter after 325 or so passes but they were still good. Had some lifter bore damage from a previous failure of a Comp lifter so had the lifter bores opened up to .874.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:58 pm 

Ive never heard of anybody claiming to get long life out of Comp lifter. They do seem to hold up to very high spring pressure better than most other brands. The worst Ive seen is the Morells that Bullet sells. I killed bearings in one after 9 passes, the next at 22 passes, ended up changing the entire set with used Comps and never had a problem with them for the next 70 passes to finish the season.

Ive got a buddy that broke a Crower earlier this season after aprox 150 passes so he went back with the most expensive Iskys. No problems after 50 passes.

All my buddies and me have been asking for trouble though because we run more pressure than anybody should with .842 lifters. Anywhere from 380 to 420 on the seat and 1000 open - we all need .904s to be safe.

Denis

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics