Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Hope none of you have a Dodge w/Cummins diesel built between 1999 and 2001 as your race car tow vehicle! Guy called me the other day with a 99 model that has a crack in the engine block. The truck only has 104k miles on it and is in excellent condition, except for the crack.

After doing some research it seems that these year model truck engine blocks were cast in Brazil and are defective as they seem to crack in the same place. Dodge has replaced a bunch of them on trucks with as few as 50k miles on'em but if the warranty is out, they will only provide you with a replacement engine block and you've got to pay to have that installed, which runs around $3500 from what I've read.

So if you have a Dodge w/Cummins that was built between 99 and 01 and it has the number "53" cast into the engine block them you're a candidate for the crack.

Boy am I glad I chose to buy an older truck!! The reason I got the 93 is because it was the last year of the mechanical fuel injection pump system as they went to electronic injection pumps in 94.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics