Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: engine temperature
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:40 pm 

Hi Everyone. I'd like to pick your brains a little. My car runs fairly consistant times but when the engine warms it slows down alot. I run my first run at about 150 degrees and As I run rounds it gets warmer and keeps getting slower and it is very hard to keep guessing a new dial in number. Heres my question- with a mechanical fan, water pump, and thermostat I think the engine temp would stay at whatever the thermostat was. I currently have electric fans, electric pump, and a thermostat with a hole in it which is basically like not having one. Can I do this or is 7200 rpm just too much. I dont care if the car slows down a tenth or two, if it will run more consistant. My electric water pump is not supposed to be used with a thermostat unless I drill a hole in it which is basically like not having one, which is the reason for the mechanical pump question. Any thoughts or opionions would sure be appriciated. Thanks.

Ty

Post subject: Re: engine temperature
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Methanol! Then you'll be having to idle it in the staging lanes to get heat in it.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:54 pm 

If you have an electric fan and water pump you will need to get that temp down to 140* before the next round..
What kind of car are you racing anyway???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:06 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Methanol! Then you'll be having to idle it in the staging lanes to get heat in it.

I hadn't thought of that. Probably part of the rason so many people use it. I drive the car sometimes on the street and am not sure I'm willing to give up the range, and I'm also lazy enough that I'd like to not drain stuff every time I use the car, unless that is the only realistic option.

Ty

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:12 pm 

Beretta wrote:
If you have an electric fan and water pump you will need to get that temp down to 140* before the next round..

Its a AMX that has been back halved with latter bars, with a roll bar, and runs 10.00 quarter mile runs.Every now and then it runs too fast for not having a cage and they yell at me. 140* puts it in the 9s. I really do appriciate any thoughts you have on this.

Ty

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

I don't drain the fuel cell. If the car is going to sit for a week I will drain the carb bowls to keep those nitrofill floats from horking up.

As far as driving around town goes, I've done that as well on methanol but it was usually trips of less than 15 or 20 miles. The Studebaker has a 22 gal fuel cell so it had a pretty good range even on methanol.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:39 pm 

Do you have a sealed hood scoop with outside air or is your engine breathing under-hood air?

Under hood air will make it inconsistent and slower.

Rick

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:43 pm 

rick360 wrote:
Do you have a sealed hood scoop with outside air or is your engine breathing under-hood air?

Under hood air will make it inconsistent and slower.

Rick

Thanks for the tip Rick. It has a hood scoop but it is not sealed.

TY

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:46 pm 

If you consider a fuel change, E85 would be my choice ..... best of both worlds.

The simple answer, IMHO, a much larger rad, and you're done. The extra water/weight will slow you down a little and then you won't get in trouble. =;

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

On second thought, you might not want to go to methanol as it's probably going to pick you up a fair amount and you'll be in trouble all the time then.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:33 pm 

J_6961 wrote:
If you consider a fuel change, E85 would be my choice ..... best of both worlds.

The simple answer, IMHO, a much larger rad, and you're done. The extra water/weight will slow you down a little and then you won't get in trouble. =;

I like the big radiator idea. Can I use a mechanical water pump and a thermostat so that it will warm up quickly but stay cool?

Ty

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:13 am 

Beretta wrote:

fasthappy wrote:
Its a AMX that has been back halved with latter bars, with a roll bar, and runs 10.00 quarter mile runs.Every now and then it runs too fast for not having a cage and they yell at me. 140* puts it in the 9s. I really do appriciate any thoughts you have on this.

Ty

If you can get an aluminum Radiator with a duel pass cross flow it will and should take care of it that is if you don't already have one..You will have to stick with the electric fan or fans and the electric water pump also..Also a shroud around the fan works better than it just mounted to the rad.. I second Ricks idea on sealing off the hood also..
Another thing are you running anti freeze in there??? Cause it will take twice as long to cool off as it holds the heat..Just water with a can or two of water pump lube will work good and it will help with the corrosion... A 5/8 hole in the thermostat housing always seemed to work for me to help slow the water down to cool it better in the radiator..
http://www.afcoracing.com/dr_cooling_doorcar.html#

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:50 am 

I didn't know anti freeze holds heat. I'll try it without. Thanks.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

fasthappy wrote:
I didn't know anti freeze holds heat. I'll try it without. Thanks.

I didn't know that either? :-k

Where did you get that info Barry? :-k

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:40 pm 

Well that's not totally what I meant to say..Water will pull the heat from the engine quicker than anything else
so it will cool your motor quicker than antifreeze....Read this it will make better scene... =;

http://www.koolance.com/technical/cooling101/002.html

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics