Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:04 pm 

:-$ glad you found it.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:37 pm 

Nice find Ken!!!!!!! I had one do that once and it was the trigger sensor...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Piedmont Dragway today, Sunday. Just don't like that 130 mile tow though. Really good race track and great ppl that run it. Won't be many more opportunities so hope I get some full passes in today.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

THE RACE GODS SMILED ON ME AS I GOT 3 FULL PASSES IN TODAY!! \:D/ LAST PASS WAS 5.04 @ 138 WITH A 1.16 SHORT TIME AND KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS WAS ON TIRES THAT ARE 10 YEARS OLD!!! That and EGT was showing me it was rich, which is the same tuneup that was in this engine from the last trip to Waynesboro and it was rich there @ 2000 DA. Weather was pleasant but not great at 1880 DA. So it was old tires with tubes, phat and not so good air. There's a 4.9x in this thing for sure!

The car handled well except for the second run where it seemed to move around on me down track? Don't know if I was over driving it, tires spinning or whether a wind gust moved it but on the next pass it was straight down broadway and the quickest of the 3.

Got some questions but I'll post those in the proper forum.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:19 pm 

Congrats!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Well, weather at Piedmont Dragway looks good again this Sunday so we're off for another test session with the dragster. I leaned the engine down a bit yesterday so maybe I'll get that 4.90 something Sunday. Forecast is for a high of 69* so that's about 15* lower than it was last week.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:36 pm 

Good Luck. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

WR169 wrote:
Good Luck. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Thanks Steve. What I really need is seat time as it's been about 6 years since I ran one of these things and believe me, 5.ohs in this thing is quite a bit different from 5.40s in a door car. Only way to get seat time is doing laps. Hopefully I'll get more than 3 passes in this week as I'm planning to just circle back to staging and hot lap it. \:D/ The way the cooling system is setup it actually cools better than the Camaro did. I guess since the engine and everything is out in the open it dissipates heat better. If I can get 5 or 6 passes Sunday that might be it for me for the year since I'm real low on fuel. Of course I could switch over to gas? :-k ;-)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Well, the race god smiled on us yet again! Truck, car and POS trailer all came home in one piece again from the 265 mile round trip to Piedmont Dragway. \:D/ Now if I could just find some sponsor that would pay for that $71 worth of diesel fuel for the trip I'd be happy as a hog in slop!

So last Sunday we made 3 passes there and each was quicker than the last with a final pass at 5.08 @ 138 and change. I think most of the pickup there was due to the track coming around. So this week I did some stuff to the car in preparation for todays test.

1) I took .010 of jet out square.
2) I softened the hit off the two step from 5500 to 5000 RPM.
3) I moved the gear change up from 7500 to 7600 RPM where it was when this engine was in the Camaro.

So off the trailer today we went 4.973 @ 139.49 with a 1.138 short time. The car was moving around down track again in the left lane so I decided to try the right lane next pass. I talked to Jason Kowalsky last week and he told me that their car has a tendency to do that also in that lane. Well, they had some "Big Dog" cars there and between my first and second pass they treated the track for those guys. Second pass it went 4.962 @ 139.57 with a (get this!) 1.124 short time!! Keep in mind that these times are with 10 YEAR OLD TIRES STILL? O:) So for the 3rd pass I went back to the right lane and it went 4.958 @ 139.83 with 1.129 short time. At this point runs were coming almost 1 hour apart so we decided to leave.

After thinking about what went on today during the ride home I've decided that the tuneup is still phat. On the last two passes I didn't even have the water pump or fan on? Didn't turn the pump on until I got back to the trailer and even then the engine was only at a little over 180*?? I struggled all day to keep heat in this thing as it seems to like temps in the 150/170 range. I've got less jet in it now than I normally run @ .156 and if I go lower than that it's uncharted territory for me? :-k I guess I need to put the O2 sensors in the headers so I can see where it is. The Omega EGT showed temps in the low 1100* range on all passes.

But like I said, it was a good day and these passes were the fastest I've ever been in my life! I'm getting to be more comfortable in the car with each pass so that is good also. \:D/ I just hate it that I go to that track and at one point today I sat in the car in the staging lanes for over 45 minutes while they ran TWO rounds of qualifying for the 5.95 index race they ran today also, started having cramps and had to get out. They finally ran us about 10 minutes later. With car counts down most of the local tracks try to combine stuff and it's just getting to where it's just too damn many cars there to be able to do what I want to do, ie, I like to make runs about 30 minutes apart and do 4 or 5 per session. No way in hell that can be done at Piedmont Dragway now though. [-(

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:13 pm 

Sounded like a good day over all. Congrats on the 4's!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ That's awesome for no power adders. I think this time of year the only way to get a good track is to show up when they have some kind of event.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:40 pm 

Good to see it all is working out for you Ken!!!!! All home in one piece is the best of all!!!
Is that it for you this year??? #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure Barry? Have to look at what's going on, how my finances are and what else I might want to try. I do think it would be quicker and faster on GAS and I do have two GAS 750 carbs and 4 gallons of C12 that I need to get rid of! =; Hummmm, that might work for one more trip out, hey! ;-)

I tell ya, if a new tire works better than these 10 year old ones, I'm not sure that my old heart can stand it!! I've been 1.10s in 60ft at that track in that first skinny car I had w/482BBC back about 10 years ago but it wasn't this fast at the other end as it only ran 5.02 @ 137!! That 4.95 I ran today calculates over to a 7.83 in the quarter mile! O:) That BBC dragster ran 7.96 @ 168 in the quarter mile @ Dinwiddie.

Ennywho, weather looks real "iffy" next weekend so probably no runs then. We had our first frost in some areas here last night so the cold weather is setting in.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:33 pm 

Congratulations Ken, glad things are starting to feel comfortable for you.

Good to see you get a personal best, great way to go into the off season!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:15 pm 

Yeah Ken, those old tires start hookin' after a few GOOD burnouts. My tires are old, but probably not 10yrs. I don't plan on EVER buying new tires. The cast-off 16" tires from the BB S/C or T/D cars for $100/pr will be the only tires for me. I'm not as cheap as you Ken, but I run a close second. 8-[

I bet there's more there too.

Rick

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks guys and Rick, I'm also thinking there's more in it yet.

As far as the old tires go, I've got a video from yesterday that I just took a close look at and there's a pretty fair amount of tire spin at the hit and it looks like it's spinning almost the length of the car? Not sure if a new tire will be any better though.

I'll upload that video so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics