Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Is today the day Ken???
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:18 am 

Well are you going to make a few runs today???? =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I just updated the "Under Construction" thread with a pic with the car all up except for the nose piece. Looking like rain right now but Roxboro doesn't start time runs until aftrer 7pm. I'll load'r up around 3pm and hope for the best. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 pm 

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:07 pm 

Good luck, hope all goes well! \:D/

Don't keep us waitin' to long tonight with the results. =; =;

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:11 pm 

Good luck Ken \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:11 am 
Site Admin

Well, I got good news and bad news. Good news is that the car, the truck and that "new to me" POS trailer came home in one piece. Another piece of good news is that those 10 year old Hoosiers got sticky and seemed to work pretty good? O:)

Bad news is 1) Freaking Friday Night at Roxboro Motorsports Dragway is NO PLACE TO BE IF YOU WANT TO GET ANYTHING DONE!!! There must have been at least 5 thousand red necks there tonight? 2) The front end has a shimmy around 90MPH that will about rip the wheel out of your hand so top speed for the night was 96 MPH. 3) one of the rear slicks is also out of balance as there was some vibrations there as well. 4) Either I'm not use to how this new torque converter is suppose to act or there's something wrong with either it or the transmission? Acts funny leaving the starting line, ie, engine up but lazy leaving?? And show on the short times @ 1.33 and the tire never did spin???

So, looks like there's some work to be done before I go out again!

On another note, those Fab Shop headers just totally changed the sound of this engine? It's quieter with these headers than it was with the others and Dynomax mufflers?? O:) Go figure? The engine also seems to be phat now too and the one EGT probe I have in #6 never got over 1,000* but then again, I never got to make a full pass either?

Then, there's always "next time"! \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:44 am 

Glad to hear the good news, and at least the bad news ain't that bad.
If it would have jumped out there and ran a 4.70, what would you have to work on all winter? =;

What times between the 60' and the 330'?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Last pass was 1.323 on 60ft then 3.479 @ 330 running 5.878 @ only 88.5 MPH. O:) Yeah, I shut down way early on every pass but hey, it was a good night overall and it is going to take a few more passes for me to get comfortable in this car. It's been 6 years now since I rode one of these so it's almost like starting over.

I'll have some info once I unload the car and look at the MSD log for that last pass.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Front of the car shook so hard last night the sheetmetal up front cut the two wires that go to the headlight I have mounted on the upper suspension arm! Just filed a half round hole in that sheetmetal piece and installed a rubber gromit around the wire in that area to keep that from happening again.

Checked the tranny fluid and it's not showing any signs of being burnt? :-k Hummmm, may have to pull this thing and put the converter in that was in the Camaro last time out?? Or, since this is a spragless verter, am I missing something here???? :-k

Hooked up the computer to my MSD to try to see the launch history but the only thing that's in there is the last run at Eastside Speedway on August 12th?? I though that thing was suppose to reset itself after each run but obviously I was mistaken about that. O:)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Well, looks like we'll be going back to Roxboro this coming Friday night, hopefully with no shimmy in the front end (tires balanced and tow-in set) and a transbrake that will work like it's suppose to. Pit Bitch is coming over after work (yeah, he has a job) and we're going to pull that tranny. I'm going to take some measurements on the rear of that case to see how much gap there is between it and that shorty cover and if a gasket will fix it, it's going back in tonight!! \:D/

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:54 am 
Site Admin

Well, we were going back to Roxboro tonight for a test and tune but I checked their website and I've changed my mind! Have a look at this link and you'll see what I mean.

http://roxboromotorsports.com/

Just something inherently wrong with mixing rednecks, beer and a racetrack, don't you think? O:)

So we'll be going to Eastside Speedway in Waynesboro, Va instead. The last passes with the Camaro was at Eastside back in August and it's a decent track. The only thing I don't like about it is that there's no 330 timers there but it does hook well and there's a long shut down area too.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:37 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
Just something inherently wrong with mixing rednecks, beer and a racetrack, don't you think? O:)

Personally I don't think there's a place for beer at a racetrack under any conditions. It's just way too likely it will find it's way to the track in some form and I think the track is opening itself too some serious liability. If there won't be any racing it might be OK but I have a strong aversion to alcohol consumption in general. It's been the cause of the deepest pain myself and my family have ever endured.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Good news, bad news. Car, truck and the POS trailer I got from Dave Weakley came home in one piece again. Bad news is that I still haven't gotten a full pass in because of an engine miss and during the 3rd burnout the engine cut off and now won't start, ie, no spark from the MSD? I really don't need to buy another one of those right now @ $829 each plus the ride! O:) The earlier problem may have been a symptom of what happened on the 3rd burnout. Ennywho, looks like I got work to do tomorrow. =P~

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Dunno but after thinking about this stuff last night, I'm thinking that the converter that I put in this thing is too loose. After the initial hit last night off the transbrake, I did a footbrake run and it did better but I never felt the gear change? It was in high gear and I was running 125+ @ the stripe after letting off down track but there's just so much going on in such a short period of time it's difficult to know exactly what's happening. More good news though is that the transmission was working fine after I installed that spacer between the case and that shorty cover.

On that first pass the thing was missing and popping out the exhaust something terrible. It was like it was on and off a couple of times before I lifted. Pit Bitch says that there were flames out the exhaust about 18" long when it was missing, which leads me to believe that it was in the rev limiter?? The one EGT probe I have in #6 wasn't showing anything close to being lean so that's not the problem.

I guess I'll have to put that DL-32 on this thing so I can get some "reliable" info as to what's happening since my old mind doesn't seem to be able to comprehend it all in that short time period. I've found out that things that are happening in a race car aren't always what they seem to be to the driver.

Oh, and those 10 year old Hoosier tires did a 1.17 short time last night even with the miss. The Camaro was 1.21 on that track back in August.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Image \:D/ Image There is JOY in Mudville today!! Image Just found out that the trigger wire plug at the MSD box had a wire connection inside that had slipped back and disconnected one of the two wires to the crank trigger pickup!! That also explains the engine miss before it completely quit working.

Man, I was really worried about this as I really don't have that kind of money to spend right now!! \:D/

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics