Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Co2 Bottle?
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Had mine filled today at a local welding supply house. Cost was $8.66 and that thing looked like a Popsicle when they bought it back out front from all the frost on the outside. Put it on the car and turned the regulator on and the high side was showing 900 psig. It's regulated down to 105 right now but I don't think that's enough to open these two 750s with those aggressive accelerator pumps in'em.

Ennywho, was wondering what the hight side pressure reading is on bottles that you guys might have? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Co2 Bottle?
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 pm 

Generally Ken, on a 7oz fill I'll see 1300 lbs. 900 lbs is what I see not long before the bottle needs changing. 900 to 500 seems to come in a hrry.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:29 pm 

If you set it in the sun I have seen 1500psi and at 900 when it was filled is about right if it was all frosted up...On another note it they filled it to the top it will pop the seal..You can't fill them all the way to the top as there is no room for expansion...Been there done that...

Also it will work better it it's somewhat upright...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:35 pm 

For $8.66 you can afford to cycle the SLE to see how fast the pressure goes down.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:08 pm 

CO2 is stored in liquid form with vaporized (gaseous CO2) filling the remainder of the container. The liquid CO2 will vaporize in a closed container until it reaches the saturation pressure for the temp of the bottle. It will stabilize at that pressure if it is 5% full or 95% full for a normal range of bottle temps. When there is CO2 flow it cools the liquid and bottle causing the pressure to drop due to the now lower saturation pressure. Once the flow stops and the liquid and bottle have come back to ambient temp the pressure will now be the same again. When the liquid level gets low the pressure will drop quicker with flow.

In a nutshell, the bottle pressure will be determined by the bottle temp. The frost was probably from cooling the bottle to speed filling. Cold bottle=low pressure so the flow from the warm refill bottle will be quicker.

Rick

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Well, the CO2 system and I have been going round and round for the last two days!! I noticed early on that after the initial pressurization of the system the residual pressure would drop pretty quickly. Since I keep it off until I need it I didn't think anything of that. Well, yesterday I was fixing the trailer to where I could get the car in and finally did late in the afternoon. Backed the car out and into the shop but forgot to shut off the bottle. Remembered that later on and then noticed that it was empty? So I'm thinking I got a large leak somewhere so I connected that system to my air compressor with 150psig on it and broke out the soap bubbles. Found one tiny leak on the push connect fitting at the throttle air cylinder and replaced that and didn't find anything else?? So first thing this am I went to the local paint ball store and had the cylinder filled again and when I got it back on the car and started to open the valve CO2 was blowing off big time and I shut it off. That gas was coming from the hole in the regulator housing which turned out to have a ruptured diaphram. CRAP, yet another setback! So I called a local welding supply house to see if they could fix it but since there wasn't a name on it they couldn't tell without looking at it. So here I go off on yet another 30 mile round trip and finally had to just leave it with them. Well, about the time I got home they called back and it was ready?? So here I go back to Lynchburg again (another 30 mile round trip) and this time it cost me over $75 for the repair since they replaced everything in it. Probably could have bought a new one for that but since we're going to Roxboro tomorrow night I didn't have time to wait on a new one to get here.

So, at this point I'm not real happy with this CO2 system but in it's defense, it is on a 2000 model car so I should have known that those rubber parts were "questionable"!

Tell me again why I keep doing this? [-(

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:25 pm 

I still wonder why people waste money on those things in the first place, then there's the refilling and leaks and not knowing when its going to run out. They work ok when you have no leaks and you have CO2. I don't like the banging of the shifter and the wear that puts on the shifter, cable and trans.

When making the initial purchase, for NO extra cost you can buy a TransKing valve body with internal electric shift solenoid that draws < 1 amp. I think they are about $100 more than a normal pro brake valve body. How much does the bottle and air shifter cost?

I know, Ken, you already had the stuff ... but now you have $75 more + refill price in something that will keep costing you.

Oh well, that's the great thing about racing ... lots of ways to do it. Everybody does it their own way.

Rick

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

The Studebaker has a used up 10lb freon bottle in the trunk that I converted to use air that didn't get filled but about once a year way back when. I may try to mount one of those up where the old Crane ignition was and go that route since it was pretty reliable years ago.

The paint ball store didn't charge me but $3 to fill the CO2 bottle but that doesn't count the 30 mile round trip to get it filled. And like you said Rick, what if it goes empty in the quarter finals?? O:) Yeah, I'll be looking at an alternative for sure as I can see potential problems from the CO2.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:17 am 

Yea leaking is your only problem with them and you want to swap it out or get it filled when it gets down to 500psi...
I get an extra bottle that I keep in the trailer and I also run a throttle control like most of us so the CO2
is needed for that also Rick...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:50 am 

I made an adapter so I could fill mine with compressed air from my in trailer compressor, in case of emergency. Used it to fill mine and other racers bottles a few times. Cheap and easy, someone always has an air compressor. 120 lbs will make quite a few passes.

I eventually bought a K & R on board air compressor and really like it.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:58 am 

I keep an adapter in the trailer to fill the bottles. I have actually filled mine off a bigger C02 tank they use for the soda fountain at the concession stand. I keep a 10 lb bottle at the shop in case the big bottle on my mig runs out between deliveries. I have used that to fill the 10 oz. bottles.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Donee, do you have a picture of that adapter you made? There's an internal thread on mine that would be nice to use if it was a conventional thread, which it isn't! :-k

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:05 pm 

I'll see if I can find it next time I'm at the shop. The way I had it set up you had to disconnect the regulator and then screw on the adapter which had a air hose quick disconnect fitting on it, then plug in an air hose to fill.

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics