Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: I got my license!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:45 pm 

Well, after much work, frustration, and just about everything else, I finally completed my licensing runs!!! Final two runs were 8.78 at 154. Seemed a bit flat on the top end, so I think I'm needing more jet there. Also spun alot off the line, and was told I hazed the tires once on the shift. Track sucked, but it did what I needed it to do! So now I get to race finally! I've got a bunch of tuning left to do, and a few other things to take care of, but I'm ready to go!! I'll pull the converter and get it redone after the season is over, as it's WAY too tight, but it works for now. I'm wondering how much it will pick up once the carb is dialed in and the converter is fixed??? I'm just stoked that the "process" is over for now!

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post subject: Re: I got my license!
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats on the license! I thought I'd get one once upon a time but decided it wasn't worth it to run outlaw tracks.

You say it's flat on top? Refresh my memory on what carb you are using. :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:46 am 

Cool ! When are you headed out for a race?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:22 pm 

Hey Ken!

It's an 1190 King Demon. Jmark has helped me with it a little bit getting it to run right at lower speeds. it's not too bad really, I just jetted it down to see where it was at, and those were the first full passes I've made with the car. I've got several people here that have told me to put more jet in it too. 93's are in it right now, but I know it should be more like 95's or so. It was pulling all the way to the finish line, just not as strong as it should have been. I have a 1295RS as well that I'll try later on, after I get the one I have now dialed in. I know a bunch of et was left on the starting line and the first shift. On the last "moderate" run, I got nearly two full tire rotations of spin before it hooked, and it hazed the tires on the shift. The nights I did my license runs they don't do any track prep, and alot of street cars run, so the track is crap. My 60' was a 1.25, so I wonder what it would have been if it stuck. I know it's a work in progress, but the hard part is done, now the fun begins! I'm hoping now that during my tuning process it will keep the consistancy that it showed in licensing. All the early numbers during the runs repeated pretty well, so I just need to find the missing hp. I know the converter is holding it back alot, as it's about 1500 rpm too tight for my combo, but I decided to run it as is so I could get my laps and license done. I might make a couple of races before I pull it to send in as well. Either way, it was fun, it's over now, and I get to play!!!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:55 am 

That sound great Mark!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Refresh me on what motor you have in there???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:57 pm 

Barry,
It's a 600 ci chevy that's basically made up of spare parts that were given to me, and a few things I bought. I know the heads are an issue, and they are on the list to get replaced when the funds allow. Intake port volume is big at 400 cc's, and the exhaust volume is small at 129 cc's. 2.30 intake and 1.90 exhaust. Runs good though, I just need to find the right tune up for it. I checked timing again yesterday and it was close, but still not where I wanted it. I also found out that my timing pointer was off two degrees in the retard direction! Add that to the fact I run an older Holley crank trigger (came with the car) and I had to figure out that you needed to place the pickup at the trailing edge of the magnet to get it to fire right...........Rotor phasing was off too, and now I know about it, so I bet I was losing something there. Torque converter only stalls to 4200 on the brake, and needs to be quite a bit looser, so I think that is costing me some et as well. I should be in the sevens with my car, or at least very low eights, so there's work that still needs to be done. I'll get there! The hard part is out of the way now! Car was consistant though, and someone would have been in trouble if I had been racing! I can't wait to get back to the track!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:07 pm 

Congrats Mark!!! Good Job. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics