Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Supertrapp mufflers
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:01 pm 

Hello
I don't know where to post this, so I am going to try it in here
I am building an old vette(street/strip) and will be using side exhaust. The factory Hookers pipes are loud enough on a stock engine, so I know they are going to be even louder for me
I have to stay with a round muflfer and was curious on Supertrapps?
Does anyone have any positive or negative comments on them?
I cannot go under the car for an exhaust system, buit I do like the idea of being able to tune them
I don't want to order them until I have some feedback on them. I have never used them
I will have to keep this thing respectable for in town driving in the noise dept
any info is appreciated
Tom

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:10 pm 

never heard of em but they sound cool (name wise)

Post subject: Re: Supertrapp mufflers
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:13 pm 

henny496 wrote:
Hello
I don't know where to post this, so I am going to try it in here
I am building an old vette(street/strip) and will be using side exhaust. The factory Hookers pipes are loud enough on a stock engine, so I know they are going to be even louder for me
I have to stay with a round muflfer and was curious on Supertrapps?
Does anyone have any positive or negative comments on them?
I cannot go under the car for an exhaust system, buit I do like the idea of being able to tune them
I don't want to order them until I have some feedback on them. I have never used them
I will have to keep this thing respectable for in town driving in the noise dept
any info is appreciated
Tom

Tom...I'm not a fan of super traps...some people are....disc diffusers are old technology....here is what i found on the Jegs site....may give you some ideas....

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... &langId=-1

hope it helps....Hooker makes some really good slide in mufflers...kinda like the old chambered exhaust...may be a lil' loud but...somebody has to here ya coming....that car is goona be flat bad azzed... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:16 pm 

Da** are they still around ? I havent seen or heard anything on them since Flowmasters came out.

When they first came out they were supposed to be the hot ticket, I never ran them so no first hand experience but after they had been out for awhile all I heard about them was negative.. having to do with being too restrictive .... and that info is going back 15 yrs. or so

Post subject: flowmasters??
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:00 pm 

What do you guys think would be the quietest with the side exhaust
I can forsee me punching this thing out of town and yet everyone knows it is me.
I like loud, I just don't like getting hassled
...........bottom line is, the car is going to get beat. I just don't want to be heard miles away, when I am not putting anyone else in danger doing so
just having fun
take care
Tom
I do have some short flowmasters which are new.(18-19 " long)......can I bolt another pair in front of them to help quiet things down
If I did this, I could occasionally drop the inner muffler and go back to the last one with striaght pipe
Supertrapps were the hot thing before I got away from the car stuff. I have a 15-18 yr black spot in which I was not following anything to do with cars.......so much is new to me

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:13 pm 

i like the look of them hooker ones....flashy if ya ask me

Post subject: Re: flowmasters??
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:03 am 

henny496 wrote:
I do have some short flowmasters which are new.(18-19 " long)......can I bolt another pair in front of them to help quiet things down
If I did this, I could occasionally drop the inner muffler and go back to the last one with striaght pipe

If you have the room to do it I dont see why not, especially if you went to say a 4" system.

What do you have room for ?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:29 am 
Site Admin

Tom I have a set of Supertraps on my Studebaker. They work reasonibly well as long as you're just cruising but when you nail it, they are pretty loud also.

I ran mine all the time, ie, I even left them on the car in race trim. They are still available as I saw them in either theDoug Herbert, Summit or Jeg's catalog not long ago. When I bought mine I also bought an extra pack of disks and split that up between the two mufflers. Room for them is an issue though as the head on that thing is 5" in diameter.

I'd have to go with the other guys on this now though as muffler tech has come a long way since 1992 when I finished my car the first time. If you have room for a three chamber Flowmaster they would work well. I put a 3.5 inch set of those under a 57 Chevy with a 509 BBC a few years ago and they were VERY good from both a sound and performance standpoint. Down side of those though is they are very big mufflers. FYI, I put a set of Dynamax Race Bullet's on my Camaro and they are LOUD. They meet NHRA sound specs but I gotta tell ya, I still have to wear ear plugs in the car on a run!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:13 am 

Hello
I have to go down the side of the car, I cannot go under it. My headers come out there as well, but I may have to change them now, since my engine is centered and the driveshaft is higher.......nothing fits
I have factory sidecovers to hide it. I will check out the headers on the frame tomorrow night when I am at the welding shop
I cannot use an oval muffler, but would you think Flowmaster is best??
I also have some Hooker sidepipes but they are loud on a regular vette
Perhaps if I re-route the headers, I can use the whole side of the rocker for mufflers??
.........no easy solutions I guess
Thanks for the tip on the Supertrapps Ken, they would not be what I wanted and they are not cheap. I have no idea of what is good and bad for mufflers with the new ones, so everyones input is much appreciated
take care
Tom

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics