Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: GM EOS
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:11 pm 

Is this stuff ok and will mix with Mobil 1??????

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

How can I boost the level of Zn and P?

One way would be to use GM's Engine Oil Supplememental additive. By our calculations, between .5 and .66 oz of GM EOS has to be added to each quart of oil to raise the Zn and P by 100 ppm each.

But be careful, more is not always better. Too much and it will cause damage to your catalytic convertor and possibly other emissions controls. Although not as concentrated, STP 4-cyl Treatment (in the red bottle), is easy to find and inexpensive, and doesn't have the viscosity improvers (thickeners) of the blue bottled STP.

The blue bottle of STP does not have the same levels of Zn and P as the STP four-cylinder treatement and also has thickeners, which are not optimal for a healthy Porsche engine.

For a Porsche 911, I recommend using 1 bottle (pint) of GM EOS with every oil change if the oil you are using has less than the recommended 1200-1400 ppm (0.12-0.14%) Zn and P. If the oil you want to use has less than 1000 ppm (0.10%) Zn and P, choose a different oil, since you will need to add too much of the GM EOS to boost this.

For a four cylinder Porsche, 1 bottle of STP 4-cyl treatment is the perfect amount for boosting the Zn and P in a ~4 quart fill. Alternatively, about 1/3-1/2 of the bottle of EOS will be more than enough.

Do not overdose on these supplements, just add enough to get to .12% and leave your oil alone. If you feel the need to have higher levels, use a different oil that has them to start with! If the oil you are using needs more than 200 ppm of boosting, choose a different oil!

Here is the website that this info came from.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Ya know, it really amazes me how much biased info you find on the internet when it comes to engine oils.  All these “oil surveys” and “oil analysis” charts and such spew so much crap it’s really difficult to see what is really there.  At the risk of stepping on someone’s toes I’ll skip the name but there is one brand that stands out from most all the others when it comes to this.  Just do a Google.com search for “best synthetic oil” and tell me how many ads in the first 10 that come back with that specific name.  

But when you find a truly independent site, like the one I listed in my previous post, you find that the oil that boasts the most about “I’m best” seems to have no more of the actual wear inhibitors than the rest, and in some cases is significantly lower in both Z and P additives.  

So I guess what I’m trying to say is this.  When you look for info on something like “the best synthetic oil”, it’s best to skip any page that is sponsored by or overly advertises any one brand because the “tests” they refer to always show that their “brand” is best.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics