Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner

Post subject: It's just primer
 Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:59 pm 

I have an ongoing project. It runs great. I am currently trying to tune in a Holley 800 spread bore. It will scream almost like a super car on top gear when I shift manually, (B@M floor shifter, Th400 SP) but when in drive, there is still a slight bog going into the secondaries, like it's using up the fuel. So this is the reason for my entry into this tech site, because I love to learn info on Holley carburetors. The carburetor and the distributor make all the difference in a good running hot rod. I have a 72 Cutlass, 455, machined and balanced, forged pistons, HEI, Hooker headers, Edelbrock heads and intake. TH400 switchpitch, (jetaway converter) Eaton limited slip 3.90 8.5'' 10 bolt, boxed in lower and upper control arms, relocation brackets. It used to be kind of a sleeper, when it was ugly with dents and the funky junkyard paint someone applied, but a couple of years ago I had the body work done, ( I hate sanding bondo) and I had it sprayed black satin, without any trim pieces. Other than that, and the machine work I did everything myself. Built it from scratch out of a friends junk yard. Even had to install an interior. It was just a shell with wheels and it had been a donor for at least three other people before me who just dropped a 455 in it and drove it. Now it lives a garaged life and i run it though town once or twice a week. In the past I have owned a 72 Chevelle (350 lumpy cam), 64 Buick Riv (401 nailhead), 71 Caddy (472), 64 GMC pickup (230, powerglide).

Steve

Post subject: Re: It's just primer
 Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:06 am 

Welcome \:D/ How about some pictures of your....."Iron" down in the show your stuff section =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:38 am 

Welcome to the Board Steve \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Admin

Welcome again Steve!!

It's been a long time since I heard the words "spread bore" when referring to a carburetor. I did run one of those things years ago on a 69 Chevy 350 but actually knew very little about carbs back then. I'm sure you'll get some suggestions on this after you post it in the "Fuel Systems" section. Until then, how's about some pictures of that ride down in the "Show Your Stuff" section?

Oh, BTW, here's a link to a pic of my Olds from the distant past. Kinda wish I still had that car as it was a rare W-30 Ram Air engine with the Corvette UHV CD ignition from the factory.

http://kenrutledge.com/rre/olds-cutlas.html

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner