Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner

Post subject: Newb here
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:03 pm 

Hi Guys .... new to this site. Looking forward to chatting with you about our addiction called drag racing. I stumbled on to the site by accident and found it quite interesting. I have been racing since 1973. I race mostly at Milan Dragway and do some IHRA 8:90 Quick Rod racing. Hence the user name. I have a '32 Bantam with a 540BBC that runs 7:90's. Thanks Rick

Post subject: Re: Newb here
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:45 pm 

Welcome to the Village Rick \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ I'll be at Milan at the end of Aug with the NMCA. Nice little track.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:48 am 

Welcome \:D/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:45 pm 

Good to have ya here!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

quickrodrfs wrote:
I have been racing since 1973.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I've got ya by a few years there but it's good to see yet another old fart going fast. I'm currently in the process of upgrading (again) to a dragster with an SBC that I have in a door car now running mid 5.50s in the eight mile. Can't wait to see some 4.90s or something close to that. I've already been 1.15 in 60ft with the Camaro so I'm hoping that I will be able to do some 1.0s in the digger. \:D/

Ennywho, HOW ABOUT A PICK OF THAT RIDE!!! And better yet, how's about posting a few down in the "Show Your Stuff" section so we can all see that "beast" you are riding! ;-)

Question, are ya gett'in skeerd yet? Reason I ask is that's why I'm moving from the door car to this 225" dragster. 106" wheelbase is too short for me running this quick. I've had it get around on me twice and was lucky enough to drive out of it @ over 125 mph on one of those but it was NOT fun! [-X

Ennywho, welcome (again) to the MSV family of racers. ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:59 pm 

Hey Ken ... I saw the picture of your '53 Stude. I started out racing a 53 Stude. My mom bought it for me when I was 16. It belonged to my uncle who was a Stude nut. It was a light weight deal. He ran it as an AHRA BB/A back in the late 60's. Rear axle moved forward, flip front end and completely gutted. It had a 289 Stude engine bored out to 302 with 2 paxton superchargers and 2 carter AFB's. It ran 12:0's and competive imagine that, today I think the BB/A index is a 7:95 and costs about $100K to build one.

The Bantam is a fun ride. Runs pretty straight, 125" wheel base with the wheelie bars set at about 4" off the ground. The wildest part of the ride is usually the launch. Had it way up in the air a couple of times, once I even lifted O:), couldn't see the track in front of me and was heading towards the wall. In good air I have been as fast as 1.07 in 60'. It was haulin the mail.

I will get some pictures posted as soon as I figure out how.
Rick

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

quickrodrfs wrote:
Hey Ken ... I saw the picture of your '53 Stude. I started out racing a 53 Stude. My mom bought it for me when I was 16. It belonged to my uncle who was a Stude nut. It was a light weight deal. He ran it as an AHRA BB/A back in the late 60's. Rear axle moved forward, flip front end and completely gutted. It had a 289 Stude engine bored out to 302 with 2 paxton superchargers and 2 carter AFB's. It ran 12:0's and competive imagine that, today I think the BB/A index is a 7:95 and costs about $100K to build one.

The Bantam is a fun ride. Runs pretty straight, 125" wheel base with the wheelie bars set at about 4" off the ground. The wildest part of the ride is usually the launch. Had it way up in the air a couple of times, once I even lifted O:), couldn't see the track in front of me and was heading towards the wall. In good air I have been as fast as 1.07 in 60'. It was haulin the mail.

I will get some pictures posted as soon as I figure out how.
Rick

Yeah an additional 20 or so inches on the Camaro wheelbase would make it a bunch better but it's still right around 2500lbs wet.

The Studebaker is a 1955 model, about the only one I've seen in this area for years now and I bought it from a guy in Danville, Va 70 miles south of me. It's been a "hoot" and I've actually got over 6K miles on it on the street around this area. It does still turn heads too. \:D/ Oh, and the rear end on that car was moved forward 10" and the firewall was cut back and the engine was set back about that same amount. The car actually has 54% of the total weight on the rear tires.

On the picture thingie, there's a sticky in the "General Topics" section with info and if you got questions just fire away as there's a few here that are tech savy enough to talk you through it. ;-)

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner