Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner

Post subject: Re: Intro
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:26 am 

I unnerstand about being gun shy (no pun intended, LOL)!

My 532 is a 14:1 motor and it may well be the last one I convert, particularly since I have it on methanol now. Right now I'm buying VP Methanol for about $4/gallon, so it's not QUITE as bad as when I had it on racegas at $9 or $10/gallon.

However the consistency and power we gained from the E85 switch on the 12.5:1 427 (let alone it only being $1.50/gallon) was enough to convince me to convert the Regal, and the stocker (when we're bracket racing it... Stock Eliminator rules say we still have to run from an approved list of racegas when running class competition). Maybe Woodfin will finally buy the stocker and remove my "temptation to sin", LOL!

-Tim

PS - We've also been running Methanol in a junior dragster for almost 10 years, and I have seen what a lack of maintenance will do to them (talk about TINY passages in some of those carbs!). However even hurried/half-hearted attempts at fuel system maintenance seem to do away with the issues with Methanol.

Post subject: Re: Intro
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:46 pm 

Ken -

Dunno if you're close or not, but the Navy just installed an E-85 pump at Oceania Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach.
Here's a couple links about it:

http://domesticfuel.com/2009/03/15/navy ... up-on-e85/
and
http://domesticfuel.com/2009/03/13/navy ... ton-roads/

-Tim

Ken0069 wrote:
I had toyed with the E85 thingie but with an engine at 15.2 to 1 I'm a little gun shy. That and the stuff is NOT available around here so that pretty much took care of that idea.

As far as the corrosive stuff goes, I've been running methanol now for longer than I can actually remember and even though there is a down side, even a limited amount of PM will virtually eliminate major problems. Of course, having good equipment to begin with is a key also.

FYI, braided hose seems to get hard after a while with methanol but when I switch over to gas using those same lines, the flexibility comes back!

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner