Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner

Post subject: Intro
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:39 am 

Howdy all, another one from Texas...

Seen some names I recognized that really know their technical stuff in a couple discussions. Just had to get a login so I can ask questions/followup/pick their brains. Looking to learn, or relearn as the case may be, all the things I should've paid closer attention to when the brain could retain it better.

Currently working on switching every car in the stable over to E85 (corn squeezin's) after seeing the benefits of running methanol late last year (yeah, I'm slow/hard headed, it finally hit after a couple decades of racing... and reaching the "enough is enough" threshold of $8-10/gal race gas).

Our 1st E85 conversion is my son's mild 427 (12:1 BBC, ported 871 heads, very mild roller). Went a best of 8.93 @ 148 on gas, bolted on one of Mark Sullen's (DragChevette) E85 conversions and went an 8.72 @ 151.7 an hour later. We're discovering more power on each pass/test, and doing it with fuel that is currently 1.41/gal.

Looking forward to it,

-Tim Lee,
AsleepAtTheWheelRacingTeam

Post subject: Re: Intro
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:57 am 

Welcome!!!!!!! So who do you know that's here???? Post some pic's of your toys =; =; ;-)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 am 

Well, the guy that put me onto the board (and didn't even know he did, when he did, LOL), but you guys can blame him, was Mark (a/k/a Drag Chevette).

I've since noticed that a couple racin buds, Tanner and Woodfin, are members (talk about your quiet but deadly types!).

I recognize a few more names on here, but they wouldn't know me "from adam", so I'd rather not make them guilty by association.

Here's my current ride (the one I switched to Methanol last year and finally started going some rounds):

Here's the one Tanner and maybe Woodfin would remember best (it's still around, probably will be when I'm wheelchair bound):

Woodfin knows this one cause I keep hounding him to buy it (I can't footbrake any more due to a bad hip, and the 17 year old just got a dragster so it's too slow for him):

Don't have a pic of my son's new car, now that it's running, but he does have the obligatory youtube link where we made the E85 pass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-tnTH4N_xY

my .02,

-Tim

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:38 am 

Welcome to the board. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Good looking rides.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:45 am 

Very nice!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

How about some specs on the motor and how the transformation from gas to e85 went???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Welcome aboard Tim. Hope you enjoy it here.

George

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:43 am 

Short version:

The Joe Monden dragster has a Boyd's 532 BBC with Brodix BB2 Xtra heads. Run's 7.90s at 167.

The Regal is a retired Super Stock car that had a flat-top 350 with stock Vortec L31 heads and a hydraulic roller that ran low to mid 11s until a couple months ago when I decided to pull it after 7 or 8 years and about 2700 passes. Putting together an aluminum Fastburn headed flat top 383 for it.

The Cutlass is an IHRA Stocker with a L31 dished piston Vortec 350 crate motor. Runs mid 11s, depending on weight class, running in bracket/low RPM shifted mode. I ran it successfully in stock eliminator and the occasional footbrake bracket event for about 4 years (finished in the divisional top 5 each year), until a hip problem that now prevents me from being able to do any footbraking at all. It's been raced, on and off, by buddies and my son since. Will likely be selling this one once the economy recovers enough that I don't have to give it away.

My son's new dragster is a 2005 Danny Nelson Racecraft with a mild 427 12:1 BBC using mildly ported 049/871 stock heads and a 650 lift roller, Strip Dominator intake, and a Holley 850DP converted to E85 by Mark Sullens (Drag Chevette). Still tinkering with the tuneup, looks VERY promising from all the early testing (enough that I've already decided to put everything else on E85).

-Tim

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 pm 

AATWracing wrote:
Well, the guy that put me onto the board (and didn't even know he did, when he did, LOL), but you guys can blame him, was Mark (a/k/a Drag Chevette).

thanks tIm...lol

im sure that you will be welcomed here.....there are plenty of sharp people who will answer anything you throw at them.
just do yourself a favor, search and research a bit before you ask....i found out the hard way that even though i know E85, im not as smart as i should be...and these guys have no problem tossing you under the bus if your wrong....lol

in all seriousness....they are great. \:D/

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Tim and I have already traded some Emails before he got in so I won't yack too long now. But to be honest, I'm usually the one with my foot in my mouth but I don't recall ever throwing anyone under the bus, (well, maybe a certian carb builder!). If someone has a difference of opinion that's OK because they have a right to be wrong. And if you disagree with someone that's OK as long as no one is disagreeable.

But hey, Tim's been a moderator on a board himself so he knows how it is. We're just glad that he decided to join us after all the questions and comments we traded in Emails.

Again, welcome aboard Tim and I hope you enjoy yourself while you're here!!!

Ken

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:03 pm 

Welcome \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

2008 P.S.C.A B1 Champ

2010 WCHRA SPM Champ

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 pm 

welcome to the site.. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:54 am 

Welcome to the site, and are you letting Mexicans in your back yard by chance?? [-X [-X [-X after hearing what they might be getting thru the Amnesty bill's floating around, I am ready to quit work and paint my skin color and hair color as well \:D/ \:D/

Hope you enjoy our company, and glad to have your info also. ;-)

Elkyman
John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:18 pm 

Welcome to MSV Tim. Good to have ya here. =;

Rick

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 am 

Beretta wrote:
Very nice!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

How about some specs on the motor and how the transformation from gas to e85 went???

The conversion is working out nicely. We just had our 1st 3 race weekend and across 23 runs the ET varied only .03 for the entire weekend (not counting the runs where the driver lifted/braked). Although the tranny temp was an issue a couple times due to late rounds and double entries, the engine temp never got above 180F all weekend.

Apparently one of the local race fuel dealers is "feeling the heat" of folks converting to E85... (I'm the 3rd or 4th person at the track to convert a car over to it). I had a couple "concerned racers" (who happened to be customers of the aforementioned fuel dealer) "warn me" about E85 being corrosive, "too dry", and that it would ruin fuel systems, carbs, valve guides, rings, valves, and seats. I thought it interesting the dealer should be passing that propaganda since he's (re)selling and running "99%" Methanol in his own car.... and those are the same arguments that people propagate(d) about it. I guess that 15% gasoline in E85 has no lubricating properties?

Can't wait to convert the next one,

-Tim

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:10 am 
Site Admin

I had toyed with the E85 thingie but with an engine at 15.2 to 1 I'm a little gun shy. That and the stuff is NOT available around here so that pretty much took care of that idea.

As far as the corrosive stuff goes, I've been running methanol now for longer than I can actually remember and even though there is a down side, even a limited amount of PM will virtually eliminate major problems. Of course, having good equipment to begin with is a key also.

FYI, braided hose seems to get hard after a while with methanol but when I switch over to gas using those same lines, the flexibility comes back!

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner