Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post subject: Lambda setting
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:30 pm 

Well been on the phone and e-mailing Computech for a few days now I think they got it..
Custom calibration but I need to give it a try to see if it actually will work =; ...
Can't understand why it's not a normal setting in the calibration..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject: Re: Lambda setting
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Back a couple of months ago when I called Rupert about the single needle seat fuel bowls for a methanol Dominator he mentioned something to me about AFRs and was telling me to shoot some number on a gas scale? I told him I didn't use the gas scale but used Lambda instead for both gas and methanol. He didn't know what I was talking about?? O:) And he uses the Innovate O2 stuff too?? #-o

As to why Computech doesn't have their software setup to use both? Who knows?? :- No particular reason I guess other than that's what they wanted to do.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:02 pm 

Ken, They have a few different scales...Gas,Alky,millevolt(sp),and something else that I don't remember and custom..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:20 pm 

Now I know you two guys know this but I'm going to write this so others can maybe understand this better.

People should learn how to use Lambda. Its really simple, its the percentage away from stoich that the mixture is. Lambda 1 is 100% of stoich, that means its exactly on it.
Lambda.85 is 15% richer than stoich. Lambda .95 is 5% rich of stoich, lambda 1.05 is 5% leaner than stoich. And so on it goes.
Not all race fuels (gasoline types) have their stoich point at AFR 14.7. Of the gasoline fuels I know about they range from AFR 12.06 to 15.05 for stoich. If you use lambda it doesn't matter what the stoich point is of the fuel your running. You can concoct up a mix of Ethanol, Methanol, and any number of unleaded race fuels and the Wideband sensor is supposed to read the mixture. If it reads lambda .80 well then your concoction is 20% on the rich side.
An advantage of using Lambda is you can adjust the mixture easily, EFI for instance can just use the lambda figure and move the mixture by percentages, carbys can be done the same way. Each Holley main jet size is approx 4% change in mixture so if you adjust your EFI or carby say 8% richer and the lambda number doesn't read .08 lower then you know the engine is either not burning the fuel or you have a supply problem. So its really handy to use lambda.

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems