Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post subject: My E85 1150, Part 2
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:07 pm 

Well I have a little more to share, figured I'd start fresh. I learned a few things running the Gatornationals, not quite they way I wanted but an more info just the same. I ran 3 time runs, lights were .006, .013, and the final time run Thursday was .004 and an 8.901!!!. Too bad it wasn't first round....
I did have a .005 first round Friday morning, however the weather station predicted a drastic change, adding .16 in the t-stop but should have only added .08, and the engine didn't respond. We went from 494 DA Thursday evening to a -444 DA Friday morning!!! Why the Pro stocks were running high 6.40's to low 6.50's. Anyway, after a losing 8.953 touching the brakes that would have been about an 8.940, I checked the Racepak data and compared. I'll have to get the other computer out for exact data, but the O2's went from around .95 Lambda average to around 1.1 Lambda... ](*,) No wonder it would not pick up. Still able to run it stupid lean and not hurt it, a good thing.

So, with some spare time I took out a set of metering blocks I picked up to try, I set them up with the same .052 IJ and went with a 168 jet. The blocks use a gas jet but go from a #2 to a #3 tapered mainwell, and from the .175 exit channel on the old blocks to a .184. Immediately it seemed too rich on the transition, so I went down to .046 IJ and it cleaned up most of it, but still seems rough right at the tip in of the mains. I made drastic changes in e-bleeds and air bleeds and got no change, even pulled my booster inserts and put in some 16 hole boosters I had and still ratty at that point. It does clean up just above it, and under a load on the converter at 6000 it hit around .80 Lambda and is clean, so I have some control with the jets if I need to lean it. I do wonder if the old blocks would respond to a larger exit channel around .180, or if it needs the larger mainwell too. I'll try to run Saturday and have some more info. I also have the 1050 done, it has .950 skirts on it to size it down a little and pick up the metering signal, and with the original 1150 metering blocks on it. I will try it after I think I have the most out of the 1150. I think the smaller carb will be a better fit for the current engine, the 1150 is slated to try on the SB2 engines and should work fine on them.

Post subject: Re: My E85 1150, Part 2
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:39 am 

Mark - Thanks for the update. You've certainly been busy. Bummer re: first round at the gators.

BTW - I was going to ask about potentially adding a new member to this private forum. AJ Casini joined MSV back in November and I know from other Boards he's done a lot of work on E85 carbs, including a current dominator conversion. Because it's not my place to tell him about this section of the Board, I wanted to get your opinion.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:38 am 

I'm sure AJ will be fine, I'll have to see what Ken thinks as well.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:
I'm sure AJ will be fine, I'll have to see what Ken thinks as well.

You better talk to shrinker not Ken as I told you that this section basically belonged to you two until you told me otherwise. You bring in whomever you want. Just lemmie know who and it's a done deal.

Now if you want an opinion I'll gladly give you that if I have one, free even! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:46 pm 

I'm OK with AJ, and may have another interested in converting his own soon.

As far as mine, made it down to 4 cars on Saturday, 330 ft times were within .005 three rounds in a row. The one I went out on was better air and it finally picked up with a weather change so it looks like I am at the end of this carb for the moment. Lambda shows average around mid 80's although the ET gain from the other metering blocks wasn't much. Did run a 5.299 on a 5.31 dial dumping 3 MPH on the last run, best pass on gas in cold December air was a 5.28. I would like to see a bit smoother fuel curve, but I think the 1150 is a bit large for this engine and possibly the culprit there. It will go on my brothers 447 SB2 this weekend, the first SB2 I had in my car, and mine will get a 1050 with .950 skirted banjo's. Stay tuned, more to come after the weekend... ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Waiting for word from shirinker on AJ.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Well, still no word from shrinker on AJ? In fact, he hasn't been on here since the 14th so I guess he's busy with "real life" at the moment. I'll go ahead and let him in and shrinker can just bitch at me if he's not happy with that decision. =;

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems