Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post subject: Holley Banjos
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

Got a call from BPTcarbs today and I asked him about the Holley banjos for this "new to me" Dominator carb I just got. He can get those but they are special order and take 7 to 10 days before he can ship them.

I'm not exactly sure yet where I'm going with that carb, ie, E85 or Methanol but was wondering how many different size banjos Holley has? And is a regular gas Dominator banjo large enough for an E85 application? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Holley Banjos
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:34 pm 

The stock versions on my 8896 HP are .170. I think Mark opened his up to .185

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:08 pm 

Banjo's are easy to get. The HP carbs are no issue at all, the earlier carbs no longer have a drop in part available. You have to take the new boosters and modify them (make them narrower), or modify the slot in the body wider. E85 is no issue, Methanol needs different pins and has to have te body modified.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, annular boosters are still available for the old style Dominators. Holley PN 34-9 and they are around $80 and include banjos, boosters and booster pins.

I just bought a Holley Booster Kit #34-34 which has banjos, boosters and pins for $90 shipped to my door from Autozone online. They are also available locally but are special order and take 3 days to get them. Figured it wouldn't take much longer than that for them to mail them to me.

Also, Jegs and Summit have these available but they are cheaper at Autozone because of the Summit/Jegs $10 processing fee. Shipping on my order was only $4.62.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Check out this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Holley-34-9-Ventu ... B00062YT54

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:15 pm 

4 non skirted banjo's + 4 stock inserts + 4 stake tubes from BLP is $57.24 + shipping. Billet inserts you drill yourself will add about $16.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:17 pm 

By the way, BLP has an updated website with prices and online ordering.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:
4 non skirted banjo's + 4 stock inserts + 4 stake tubes from BLP is $57.24 + shipping. Billet inserts you drill yourself will add about $16.

OOPS, already ordered them now. Maybe next time. Ordered the rest of the stuff I needed for this carb plus some mainwell plugs from BPTcarbs and it was $39 shipped so even at that I'll have less than $250 in this thing if I put it back stock. I do have a pair of 2 circuit 850 metering blocks that need a home so you know what might happen. ;-) Just imagine the possibilities! \:D/

Can you believe that Dale Cubic charged me over $300 to put a set of BLP .062 flared banjos in my 1150 methanol carb a few years back and he used the same billet boosters that were in it when I shipped it to him? Not much profit in that work, hey! THAT is another reason I have a hard on for pro carb builders! ;-)

Went through the shop this afternoon counting up what I have as far as carbs are concerned.

2 ea. 750 methanol carbs
2 ea. 750HP gas carbs
1 ea. old style 8896 Dominator 2 circuit conversion
1 ea. 1150 HP methanol carb with a Ken modified 3rd circuit
1 ea. 1150 HP that might just be anything when it's finished
1 ea. 650 DP
1 ea. 600 vac secondary was on Chebby truck

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:42 pm 

I was just checking out BLP's new website and wondered what the difference was between the .500 and .600 billet center booster inserts. What performance characteristics are associated with each type? They also have several part numbers for each size?

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:28 pm 

I believe the .600 boosters are for the 4150's with annular boosters, the .500 for Dominators, although they can be used either way. The .500 would give a 4150 a stronger signal, the .600 in a Dominator increased airflow. Not sure on the different part numbers, possibly differences in the step amount. I'll have to ask next time I am down there. With more smaller holes the more the fuel is spread out, and with smaller droplets. I've seen some different stuff lately for gas, they are using more holes, and at the point where fuel exits the banjo they use several smaller holes in that area. Possibly to get a slight jump start out of the booster at low airspeeds.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:43 pm 

Ken, you'll be sending the 34-34 banjos back. I ordered some in the spring and the quality was horrible. Plus, they were for the early Dominator and didn't fit at all. I sent the damn things back. Take some of those 750 banjos you have and cut the skirt down to .980 and you'll be good to go.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

Bruce the part number for the annular booster kit for the early Dominators is 34-9 not 34-34, according to Holley's website? But yeah, if they look like s**t then they will get them back! ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:36 pm 

You're right on the part number Ken. Took me weeks to get the darn things and they were scrap. That kind of stuff just convinces me further that we here at MSV are on the right track.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Got those boosters today and you were right Bruce. They are for an early Dominator conversion not for an HP. I just sent them an Email asking for a call tag to return them with.

I guess now I'll try to order them from BLP.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 pm 

I'll be testing tomorrow in Bradenton, I'll find out if the new regulator cures my issues. And how my booster mods work...

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems