Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:16 pm 

I finally got a few hours to start tearing apart the HP 8896-1 gas carb that I'm going to use for my e85 conversion. The carb has one specific issues I had to deal with when I built it for gas - the Transition slots are too long and both primary and secondary sides approx. .035-.040 is exposed when the blades are fully closed. To overcome this problem when using C12 last season, I needed to drill 1/8 holes in the throttle plates. I also installed .055 TSJ's to lean out the circuit, but still ended up with the 1/8 holes in the plates. Sometime during the build I'll need to mess with these again, but I'm hopefully that the additional fuel required with e85 partially compensates for the existing rich condition and that I'll be able to solder up the holes (or replace the throttle plates).

Ok - so before I deal with the TSJ issues, I want to update the rest of the main body so I've stripped the carb. I managed to pull the stock booster pins and remove the stock 8 hole annual boosters today. I was planing on ordering some 12 hole billet boosters and pins ( with both banjo's and booster pins drilled to .180). What's the best way to install the new booster pins?

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:31 pm 

For E85 I think bigger is better. Billet is OK, but you need bigger holes, you could get the 12 hole boosters and make the holes larger, back to the size of the 8 hole, just more of them. I have a brass drift i tap the pins in with, after making sure everything is lined up. Let me know what they quote you on booster inserts, I have a set of billet blanks I could set up like mine if you are interested.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:28 am 

Thanks Mark. Question - do the stock annular boosters come apart? I assumed I needed both new boosters and banjos because of the need to drill out the banjo's. Is it possible to just get away with using these? If upgrading is the best scenerio then that's what I'll do but thought I'd ask first.

Assuming upgrading is a better solution, I'm definitely into trying your style set-up, so given BLP sells several style banjo's so which part # do I need?

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:51 am 

If you have annulars they do come apart. Unless they have a large skirt like a 750 Dominator there is no need to replace them. If you have a socket that just fits the inside diameter of the banjo you can tap the booster insert out, a 9/16 Snap-On I have is just right. I have a small bearing splitter I put between the top flange of the insert and the banjo to support it, then it should come right out. Try not to scratch up the banjo if possible. You will need a dremel with a small ball nose cutter to radius the banjo exit, and a set of small needle files to touch them up after.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:27 am 

Maybe I'll try to make some sort of wood fixture to hold them while I try to dive out the boosters. Assuming I can get them apart without damaging them, should I try to enlarge the booster holes slightly to increase flow or just upgrade to the billet style?

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:23 pm 

You can try opening them up, the issue is the factory inserts are cast, and the area where they are drilled is thin. Once you open them up that leaves little material between the top and bottom halves so they may collapse when trying to press them back in. It's one of the reasons I went to slots and billet boosters, I can increase the area lowering the restriction at the booster, the other is it keeps the bottom of the slot opening closer to the step in the booster where the signal should be stronger. I'll find out how much better after I get some time to dial it in next week. I'm at 138's for jetting on an 1150 now, a friend of mine at BLP built a 1050 for his brother-in-laws car and was at 140's and still thought it was lean, but the car had to be shipped over to Germany so they got no other time to play with it. If my 1150 needs less jet than his 1050 I believe it will show I am going in the right direction with the boosters.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:36 pm 

Thanks Mark. I'm very interested to see how you make out once you have some good track conditions. It was easy to drive out the boosters using a 9/16 socket and I see what you mean about being very thin. I think I'll leave these alone so I don't ruin them and plan on doing something will a billet set after you have a chance to do some tuning. Unfortunatelty, I'm not getting out anytime soon anyways. Today the snow tires went on my car and they are calling for 8-12 inches of lake effect snow tonight and tomorrow. =P~

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:09 pm 

Could try a little of this...
http://www.merrillicedrags.com/

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:28 pm 

Ha - no thanks. I even gave up snowmobiling years ago because it gets too cold outside. Every year I get older I'm less tolerant of the cold temps so I guess I'll stick to brushing up on my carb knowledge. =;

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

mslayton wrote:
Today the snow tires went on my car and they are calling for 8-12 inches of lake effect snow tonight and tomorrow. =P~

Ah yes, I spent a year one month in Oswego way back when. O:) Got one snow that was 36 inches two days before I was scheduled to leave there. Was working at the Nine Mile Point power plant there on the lake. Went to Syracuse the week before that and got caught in a white out between there and Fulton on the way back. NOT FUN for a southern boy!

That place would have probably been OK in the summer as Oswego speedway has some of the best modified racing there is but it was pure hell in the winter time and I won't ever go back! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:43 pm 

Small world Ken. I work at the college in Oswego and many of my co-workers work at the the plants. The city is great but we definitely have to deal with the lake-effect snow. Fortunately I live 70 miles to the west so I miss the worst of it, but just in case the snowblower was also swapped for the lawn mower today.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:28 am 

Had an opportunity to pick up a 9377hp that had seen better days so I decided to leave my gas carb alone and convert the 1150. Spent the past two weekends working on it and am starting with jmark's tune-up and just waiting to see how he makes out with his experimental boosters. My booster banjos are just set into the main body at this point but I'm looking forward to buttoning this thing up in the next few weeks and then waiting for spring ](*,)

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x44 ... 7cc718.jpg

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x44 ... 9e2557.jpg

Super Comp 130C

Last edited by mslayton on Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:40 pm 

I think my initial tune will be on the lean side for jets, I now have a Racepak to install and a regulator that will vacuum reference. Hope to get it set up in the next couple weeks and try when it warms up a little.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:19 am 

Mark - I'll be waiting patiently to see how you make out. I'm also very interested in hearing how you like the new Racepak since I was also thinking about adding one to my car as a means to tune it this spring.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Mark, how were the T slots on your 9377? I put two butterflies in mine yesterday to tinker with the external linkage I made and I got no slot showing with them closed and opened them up one full turn on the idle stop and still no slot? It's looking like I'll have to extend mine some to get them right.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems