Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: My E85 1150
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:20 am 
Site Admin

If I had it all to do over again, a lathe would have been something that I would have added to my collection of "stuff". In fact I had though about buying one years ago when I got my Bridgeport but back then I had access to several of them at work and I never realized how much I needed one until after I retired. Like Rick I do still have "connections" and can usually get stuff done but there will come a day that those "connections" may not be able to help me out.

Couple of other things I would really like to have for my mill. Need a compound vise so I can work metering blocks and also have had a need for an index head too, which could be used to gas port pistons among other things.

As I've mentioned many times before though, you just can't have too much "stuff"!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 pm 

Ahhh the Lathe, oldest complex machine known to mankind and still useful.
Hey KEN just put a chuck in your mill.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah Bruce I do chuck some stuff up in a collet and with a lathe tool in the vice on occasion. Works for simple stuff but there's just a bunch of stuff you can't do with a mill.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:19 pm 

Well here is a teaser, nothing good yet. O2's did not function, and times and MPH were all over the place. 5.40 best, had to go back to gas 1150 to race today. First pass was a 5.25...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:07 pm 

Now that I'm on a computer rather than the phone, I can post a little more detail. I didn't get any usable info, although I still don't know if the carb is an issue. NOTHING I did made any sense. Car ran a 5.41 first pass out of the trailer in the right lane. Went even richer, 136/141, to see how it would respond. Track conditions in the left lane the 2nd pass was bad and it was slow. Went back to the right for #3 and it went a 5.40 and a little more MPH than #1. OK, it liked it. And by the way the FAST O2 update with the RPM converter doen't work, either the software or added hardware is messed up. I guess I will be calling FAST next week, maybe even chatting with them at PRI. So no O2 data, and reading plugs is almost useless, they show only a little coloring on the ground strap after several runs, the inside is clean as new. Well for run #4 I went from an NGK R5671A-7 to a Champion C63YC projected nose. Car lost a tenth and a lot of MPH... :-s Made no sense, so I put the old plugs back in and jetted the front down two, run #5 was a little slower. Now I am really confused, put the projected nose plugs back in with a wider gap, losing more. Now I am worried something else is hurt, although the plugs show NOTHING. ](*,) So first thing yesterday, I went back to gas, car immediately ran a 5.259 at 130, picked up .15 over the best on Ethanol and about 5 MPH. Car ran great, got down to 13 cars and driver screwed up, lifted too much.

So now what do I know? Well, one variable in the mix is the regulator, I had a new regulator on it for E85. Pressure holds steady, and is easily adjustable. However I don't know if there is a delivery issue through it, maybe something not allowing it to flow enough fuel down track. The other is track conditions, being a practice day Thursday and not too many cars I wonder if they skimped on prep a bit. A lot of the faster cars that tried to go down had no luck, but quite a few ran well yesterday. So my next chance will be a little while, I need to get the Racepak hooked up and use my known good regulator. If I still have issues I will go back to a conventional booster insert after that, but hopefully the Racepak will help figure things out. Race tomorrow, one time run in the morning.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:27 pm 

Mark - That's a bummer but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Sounds like you just might need to wait until the Racepak is set and you can get some good data.

Good luck tomorrow, I'll be shoveling snow again ](*,)

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:18 pm 

Thanks, the nice thing is I can slap that 2 circuit gas Dominator back on it and click away. I'll get the E85 worked out, just a little more delay...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:
Well for run #4 I went from an NGK R5671A-7 to a Champion C63YC projected nose. Car lost a tenth and a lot of MPH... :-s Made no sense, so I put the old plugs back in and jetted the front down two, run #5 was a little slower. Now I am really confused

And you changed two things after run 4 for what reason? Why the 2 step lean on the jet after a previous run had better MPH??? And why smaller jets in front than in the rear? :-k

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:47 pm 

Smaller jets with a PV. We felt it might be a little rich from the change in exhaust smell, original plugs and still richer than the first pass, but slower? Like I said, everything we did kept going the wrong way even when going back to what worked. The engine sounded good, just didn't show it on the time slips. And nothing else to go by.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

IMHO it's counter productive to have a PV in when you're trying to sort out down track AFR/performance. I've found it easier to tune down track with NO PV and with jets square first, THEN go to a PV if you feel the need and work back to your original AFRs etc with the MJ. Since E85 works differently with the rest of the fuel circuit one must "assume" that it also works differently thru the PV circuit as well and until you have a working tuneup with data to back it up, I'd leave it out. ;-)

Just saying...................

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:28 pm 

I may do just that, not having O2's really killed me. FAST will get an ear full this week, might even talk to them at the PRI show... ;-) I put the E85 carb and fresh plugs back in after I lost today, but kept the BG regulator (sorry) that has been fine on gas on it, interesting thing is that all of the sudden my float level was way low? :-k I didn't get to run it, but I plan to do some investigating with the old regulator and pressures to see how it affects float level. I have a feeling something is going on with pressures that force me to lower the float level and limit the float drop, and limit the fuel under a load. I won't run it again until my Racepak is set up, and I will make sure I'm logging fuel pressure. It was interesting that before my last time run Thursday I dropped the float level a little, and MPH dropped to the lowest of the day...

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Are you sure you're not running out of fuel? What pressure do you have at the stripe? :-k And I'm sure you probably already posted this but what needle seats?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:09 am 

The N&S are .140 viton. I think there is something to do with pressure forcing me to lower the float level, which then limits N&S travel, causing it to run out or not keep up with the fuel demand from the engine. The pump is a Magnafuel 500 and will suck the tank dry quick when switching fuels. I don't have a way to monitor pressure down track, I'll fix that with the Racepak.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

I don't understand why you've got those fluctuations in pressure? Hell I set mine and forget it and there's never a need to do that again according to the data I get?? Something isn't quite right somewhere??

How much more fuel are you consuming when on the E85 carb? With methanol that ratio is around 2.3 times what gas use is and usually requires a pretty stout fuel system to keep it happy. You might want to go to a SS .150 NS just to see if they make any difference. I've been able to run those @ 8psig without any noticeable leakage although I do think it's a good idea to lap them with Comet cleanser mixed with some water to make a paste before you install them. I do all mine that way and I've even got some of those .150s in my gas only Dominator.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:48 pm 

I agree, something not right. Just got to find time to figure it out. Bowls are new, when I had a gauge issue I changed the front float to brass, tried .128 needles.... Someone just does not like me. [-( Next time I go out I'll change bowls out off my gas 1150 or 1250 if I have to. Having to wait is the killer... ](*,)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems