Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: My E85 1150
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:31 pm 

Mark*

Looking forward to read about your next test drive with E85 \:D/

/Tom

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:49 pm 

Broke down and ordered a Racepak Sportsman Logger today, with dual O2's. Time to get more data. I thought about getting an LM1, but only single channel units are available anymore. And it would have been half the cost of dual v-net o2's, in the long run I'll be better off.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

After all, it's only money and you can't take it with you! =;

Did I mention that I'm looking for a Dodge Truck transmission? =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:02 pm 

Small update, I was able to run last night at a less than desirable track, but got 3 runs in. I spent the day yesterday working on a few things, I went up on the main jets from 129/134 to 132/136 and it didn't like it. Made it seem ragged, so I knew it was on the rich side. So I went back to 130/134, and changed the idle jets as it seemed a little lean, mixture screws out too far. I figured it would have the transition too lean at that point. Went .046 to ,052 and seemed to help, it put the mixture screws at 1 1/2, might try a little more but I have another issue to address. I was having some issues getting the needles to seat after the bowls were drained, and realized the float level was way up from where I initially set them, readjusted them and finished up. Well, it got worse after I got to the track, I put in two new needles and still the same. I suspect the floats are soaking up fuel, brand new floats, but no time to pull them apart till tomorrow. I may just put a brass float in front, if the floats are soaking fuel I'll have to see what tricks the boys at BLP might have for the back. Once I left the line everything cleared up, and ran fine. ET and MPH might be a little better than on gas, however this track's clocks have never been correct compared to others for MPH (show a couple MPH high) and if felt like it may have been spinning mid track a little. But the main thing is it was running clean and pulling well all the way down the track. Plugs have almost nothing on them even though it may have been flooding a little in the burnout, other than some slight coloring change from heat on the electrode and strap they look like new. The good thing is no hint of detonation. As far as O2's... the FAST unit is almost no help. I get brief hints of a reading, in the range of 8.5 to 9, but nothing stable. The RPM's don't work either. And no software to download, firmware update only allows a slower playback on the unit. I may have to replace the O2' sensors themself, they were used with leaded fuel a bit. However once I have time to put it on I have a Racepak Sportsman logger with new dual O2's I can set up for Lambda display, and be able to save and print files. Best run was a 5.439 @ 129, a little better than on gas.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:07 pm 

I wonder if coating the floats with polyurethane may seal the floats up. It's nitro proof and brushed on lightly it may not add much weight to the float.

I just weighed both notched and un-notched nitrophyl floats. They were both 10.5 grams. They are light enough to coat I think. The brass float was 15 grams.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Those nitrophyl floats are suppose to work with that stuff as that's what Eric uses. That is what's in my 1150 methanol carbie too but I don't let fuel stand in it either as I drain the bowls after each race. I'd think that the O rings would probably be giving up and FYI, I got some silicon ones for my Methanol carbs for that reason.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:36 pm 

Brand new N&S did the same thing immediately, so it's not them or the o-rings. Won't be a hard fix once I figure it out, just need time. Working today, and got a call last night at 1:30, my daughter was in labor and as of 3:30 this afternoon just about ready to deliver. And the A/C guys are coming in the AM to replace my house A/C, so I may have some fix time tomorrow but probably no race time. Maybe in Orlando next Wednesday I'll get some more data.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:25 pm 

Hi Mark, check the condition of the drilling in the bowl that the needle and seat o-ring seats against. That an area often overlooked for corrosion , they leak there if its got even the tiniest amount. Take the bowl off turn it upside down and turn on the fuel and watch.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:12 pm 

Brand new bowls, I'll check, but float level was adjustable when I first put the carb on a week ago. It is like they soaked up fuel in a week, but haven't had a chance to pull them yet.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:12 pm 

Well I found the problem, &*^&^%#%$*^& "CHINESE" $%^#%$$(*^ "CRAP"!!!!!

OK, I let a little steam out. Any guesses? Well I won't make you wait, I put a brass float in front after making a bunch of measurements, found the tabs bent a little. Straightened the rear and put the bowls back on, same thing, even on the brass float, won't hold pressure. CRAP!!! Fuel pressure at 5 lbs... It was a new Mr. Gasket fuel gauge. I backed the regulator off a couple turns and put my old gauge off my other regulator, even backed off it was 9 lbs. Reset the fuel pressure to 6 and drained the bowls for about the tenth time today and now I have a handle on the float level. Next test day will be Wednesday.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 pm 

Glad you found it mark. I guess it's time to pitch all those gauges and measure it on the Racepak :-$

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:39 pm 

\:D/

Ive had a similar problem happen when I had a liquid filled pressure gauge on the fuel regulator. The basterd gauge would show low readings when it got warm... Took me a while and many, many curse words before I figured out why the carb was overflowing #-o I threw that liquid filled gauge in the dumpster...

/Tom

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 pm 

Well today was track test #2, I wasn't too confident when I was warming the car up and the dew was so heavy it felt like rain.... #-o Two passes and both were worse than the other track last week. Both nights the track was so bad at the shift that I couldn't feel it. Tonight it was skating all the way down. I through a bunch of jet at it for the second pass, went from 130/134 to 133/138 to see if it would act stupid. I think it may have liked it, actually made the car skate a little eariler in the run, hard to tell... ](*,) Lucky for me I have a mid 8 second engine in a 245" T/D chassis, Even spinning on water I think the car would still go straight. Just not too fast... =P~ Next test day for me will be the Thursday test session the weekend of the Snowbirds in Bradenton, track should be well prepped. I should have fresh O2's for the FAST system in by then, I was hoping to have them tonight but they didn't make it. Racepak is here, but with work, Holidays, and two new granddaughters, one last Friday and one this Friday, I won't have time to play with it till probably after Christmas. So for the most part a non productive day, and still don't see anything significant on the plugs other than it might like more timing. Plan to try the projected nose plugs as well, on the list.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:08 pm 

Well nothing much to talk about yet, tomorrow is the day. I did put fresh O2 sensors in my FAST unit, looks a little better than before sitting in the trailer. The track will be the test, hopefully I'll get enough time runs to find what it wants. I am close to breaking down and getting a lathe, my little Craftsman unit bit the dust earlier this year. I want to build a puller and installer to swap and test booster inserts without pulling the whole carb apart, I have an idea but need a lathe. Maybe after the first of the year...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:36 pm 

jmarkaudio wrote:
I am close to breaking down and getting a lathe, my little Craftsman unit bit the dust earlier this year. I want to build a puller and installer to swap and test booster inserts without pulling the whole carb apart, I have an idea but need a lathe. Maybe after the first of the year...

I just got a lathe myself. Always needing one and I finally got tired of having to do work arounds or take it to a friend or co-worker who always have other things to do etc etc. I got a Birmingham 12"x36" GH lathe. Should do for me. Make a drawing of what you need made and I'll make 2 so I can build one for me too. =;

Rick

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems