Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like MicroShaft might have finally gotten the hint, ie, sales of Windowz 8 is like 66% LOWER THAN THEY PROJECTED IT TO BE!! I read where one of the "higher ups" has already been s**t canned over this debacle and rightly so!

Ennywho, it's "said" that Windowz 8.1 WILL have the traditional START button and I've also heard that it will be setup so that you can boot right in to an old style Windowz 7 type desktop!

That'd be a step in the right direction if they really want to sell their junk! That new release won't be available on new PCs though until some time in the fall.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE:

Well, I'm writing this from Windows 8.1. I downloaded it yesterday and installed it last night on a spare drive so I could take it for a "test drive" to see how it feels now. That download was 2.8GB and took the better part of 3 hours to download. The install on my hard disk consumed a whopping 28GB of space??? WTF?? As a comparison, the original Windows XP is right around 400MB installed and the latest service pack 3 version is like 1.2GB. In spite of that I'm happy to say that this version looks to be a "KEEPER" as it can be setup to show a somewhat typical Windows Desktop that includes a "Start Button" that works somewhat like the one in Windows 7.

While the start button was a welcome addition, you still have to go to that stupid assed Metro desktop to start any programs you might have installed on your system. Not too happy with that but to be fair, I haven't had much time to explore how things can be changed around that might make it better for older "set in their ways" computer users.

Windows Explorer looks very similar to what it was in Windows Vista?? Don't know why they chose to emulate that POS but it is what it is and you can access your files and stuff there.

So far I've only installed Firefox and Opera browsers along with some plugins for those and that stuff works OK at this point. Next I'll install Microsoft Word 2000 to see how Win 8.1 handles that OLD office suite. I also have a couple of other old pieces of software I plan to try.

Will update as I go along so stay tuned! ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Well, looks like there's no way to put icons on the desktop for different programs?? You have to go back to that funky assed Metro page to open them and you can't right click and send a short cut to the conventional desktop either.

I did put a couple of icons on that desktop but I had to navigate through Windows Explorer and find the .exe file then right click and select "Send To Desktop To Create A Shortcut" to do that. Installed Office 2000 and had to put desktop icons for Word and Excell up that way but hey, that old office suite does work, at least they open OK.

I think next I'm going to try to install Unreal Tournament to see if that will run in Win 8 since it was written for Windowz 98. This may be a major problem though as there's no hardware driver support for this ATI 1650 PCIe video card that I'm running in this computer??

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Found a program called "Classic Shell" that's suppose to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7 and it's FREE. Just downloaded that and will install it tomorrow. Will let you know how it works out.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classic ... source=dlp

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:14 am 
Site Admin

UPDATE: Got some good news!! And some bad news.

Good news is that there's a program that's called "Classic Shell" that will put a standard "Classic" Windows start menu on your Windows 8/8.1 desktop!! I've got it running on mine right now and it's the shitz!! Looks like the Classic Start menu you can get on Windows XP that ISN'T available on Windows Vista or 7. Here is a link to that download and notice that it's hosted on Cnet, which means that it's LEGIT SOFTWARE AND NOT A HACK!! Download and use this one with confidence!

http://download.cnet.com/Classic-Shell/ ... 53853.html

Bad news, I tried to install Unreal Tournament last night but it won't go, probably because there are NO VIDEO DRIVERS FOR THIS ATI 1650 VIDEO CARD! Microsoft is using a "generic" driver just to make it work but it won't run that game! =P~

Keep in mind that this computer I've got Win 8 installed on is OLD! It was built back not long after I retired and that's been almost 7 years ago now so I expect it's at least 5 years old now if not older. It's a 3.6GHz Pentium IV (single core processor) with 4GB or RAM and still works fine though and is as fast on Windows 7 performance test as Faye's Dell laptop with an i3 processor and 4GB of RAM.

Ennywho, I'm going to try to stay on Windows 8.1 for a few days to further test it and I'll keep this thread updated as I go.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE: Gave up on it for now as without drivers for the ATI video cars it's not much use to me at this point. I've still got it on that spare hard drive and I'll be able to play with it some more but without the correct video drivers for my ATI card it's an exercise in futility!

Will update if I find anything worth reporting, and thanks for looking at my review on this latest M$ operating system!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Read today where according to an internal Micro$oft memo Windows 8.1 went RTM, ie, Release To Manufacture on August 26th and will be showing up on store shelves in the not too distant future.

I also read where hackers have cracked it, ie, they now have working activation keys so now Micr0$oft can begin their never ending task of trying to stop the piracy! Good luck with that as there's pretty much no way to stop people from reverse engineering their activation schemes, at least none have survived to date!! =;
\:D/

Me, looks like I'll be running extinct software come April of 2014 as XP is still my OS of choice where Windows is concerned. I do use Ubuntu 12.04 for most everything I do though except for that one game I play and also the electronics on the race car, hence the need for Windows.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:10 pm 

Looks like Microsoft is still lagging behind in Windows 8.1 sales as word has it that there is an update that is going to make the conventional Windows 7 type desktop the Default desktop at boot up.

Windows 8.1 update may default to desktop on startup

An expected update to Windows 8.1 could reportedly boot directly to the traditional Windows desktop, bypassing the tiled "Metro" start screen.
by Brooke Crothers
January 30, 2014 6:23 PM PST

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57618 ... &tag=title

Quote:
The expected update for Windows 8.1 could bypass the touch-centric tiled start screen and jump directly to Windows desktop, according to a fresh report.

The latest build for the Windows 8.1 update indicates that devices will boot to the desktop UI by default, according to Wzor.net, which has been leaking screenshots over the past several weeks.

This would go beyond the option to bypass the tiled start screen -- what used to be referred to as the "Metro" screen. That feature was introduced in Windows 8.1 last year.

If Microsoft actually carries the UI switch forward to the Windows 8.1 update released to the general public, this would be a reversal of one of Microsoft's key original concepts for Windows 8, as noted by The Verge.

The tiled start screen is touch-centric and designed for devices like tablets and touch-enabled laptops.

The problem is, lots of users still use a mouse and keyboard with Windows 8 and spend a lot of time in the Windows 7-like desktop environment. Microsoft also is expected to allow Metro apps to run in separate windows on the desktop, according to The Verge.

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog