Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post subject: Re: Windows 8
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

ss436 wrote:
Yeh Ken all that puter talk aint fixing your car O:)
Steve...

Not to worry Steve as I'm retired!! The car will be fired tomorrow with that tricked up 1150 Alky Dominator. ;-) The scoop will be mounted on the new tray that I got yesterday on Thursday so I'll be ready to race somewhere by the weekend. Whether I go anywhere or not remains to be seen though as my "Pit Bitch" is leaving on vacation Saturday morning and won't be back for a week.

Puter stuff is just something else that I do, and, I do make a dollar or two working on them from time to time. That will stop with Windows 8 though as at this point I have no desire to do anything with it. As I said before, Microsoft finally wrote a version of Windows that isn't even worth stealing. O:)

FYI, I also have another hobby. Satellite TV via free to air receivers. Got two BIG dishes, one 10 ft and a 7.5ft and I watch a BUNCH of free TV with them.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like that crap Win 8 has gone RTM and will be shipping to vendors to get loaded up for the big release date in October.

Shipped! Windows 8 is done, set for October release

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/shipped-mi ... r-release/

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:39 pm 

I only have Win-7 on one computer (home laptop) and everything else is XP. Win-7 looks OK, but mainly MS just moved everything around so I can't find it now. I don't want Win-8, I'm sure they found even more ways to slow me down and move more things so I can't find it.

Is there even anything BETTER about Win-7?

I think XP will be with me for quite a few more years. It's still the primary OS for my work computers too.

Rick

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

7 has some decent features and can be made to "look" somewhat like XP but 8 is total garbage "UNLESS" you're a smart phone junkie, in which case those "types" will probably love it. Me, I don't have a smart phone so I'm still not impressed.

I keep bringing this back up trying to warn ppl that if they are thinking about buying a new puter, then NOW is the time to do so before they start making you PAY for a Win 7 "downgrade" like they did with XP when windwos Vista and 7 came out.

For a Windows box I can "tolerate" 7 and in a pinch will make do with that OS but as long as Linux does for me what it's doing now then Windowz is just around for the few things I haven't figured out how to do on Lunux yet, ie, Logworks, Unreal Tournament and CCP. ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

OK, yet ANOTHER reason NOT to have anything to do with Windowz 8! Microsoft is trying to shut out Linux by making it so it can't be installed on any computer that is running Win 8?? [-( [-( The hits just keep on coming!

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/softwar ... y-answers/

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

And here's even more crap from Redmond, Wa via Windows 8!

http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-spie ... ted-63426/

Quote:
Microsoft spies on all your Windows 8 installs
24 Aug 12 15:41 by DoMiN8ToR in category Windows 8

Nadim Kobeissi, developer of an encrypted instant messaging application has discovered that during the installation of every application in Windows 8 the Microsoft servers are contacted. While Microsoft’s idea behind this seems good and is meant to protect you against malware, the way the feature has been implemented causes possibly security and privacy breaches. The feature, called Windows SmartScreen is turned on by default and sends an encrypted string to a Microsoft server containing information about any software you are trying to install, and like with all internet communication also your IP address is revealed to the Microsoft servers.

According to Kobeissi this is a problem as he writes on his blog, “The big problem is that Windows 8 is configured to immediately tell Microsoft about every app you download and install. This is a very serious privacy problem, specifically because Microsoft is the central point of authority and data collection/retention here and therefore becomes vulnerable to being served judicial subpoenas or National Security Letters intended to monitor targeted users.” He goes on to write, ” This situation is exacerbated when Windows 8 is deployed in countries experiencing political turmoil or repressive political situations.”

This means that in some countries the government could make efforts to intercept traffic from the user to the Microsoft servers and then would be able to track installations of e.g. the Tor network used by dissidents in countries like Iran to securely transfer information about sensitive subjects. Even worse, the servers collecting the information are running an insecurely configured web server. If you don’t want to be tracked, but then also are unprotected by Windows SmartScreen, you can turn it off, however Windows will continuously nag you to put it on again.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

Haven't said much on this lately as this "miscarriage" went on sale the end of this month but today I saw some stuff on another site where a guy was trying to sell a less than 2 year old Dell N7010 Laptop that he had put Windows 8 on and it just so happens that Dell Laptop is almost identical to the one that Faye uses that was 2 years old in September.

He took a screen shot of the Windows performance index page showing that the performance level is down 1.3 points BELOW what Faye's is with Windows 7 on it. Here's a couple of screen shots that show the difference.

Note that the one above is Faye's Dell N7010 laptop computer and that it has Windows 7, 4GB of RAM and an M350 i3 Intel processor running at 2.27GHz and it scores a 4.6 performance index.

This one is the same model N7010 Dell Laptop running Windows 8 with 8GB RAM and an M370 i3 Intel processor running at 2.4GHz and it only scores 3.3 on the performance index??

So it looks like Windows 8 won't run well on a less than 2 year old computer even with 8GB of RAM installed, making it a first cousin of Windows Vista. Can you say de ja vue boys and girls?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Well, looks like I was right about this one, ie, ppl don't want Windows 8.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411664,00.asp

Survey: Most U.S. PC Users Say 'Meh' to Windows 8

Quote:
Microsoft officially released its long-awaited Windows 8 operating system seven days ago, but a new survey suggests that a mass migration to the next-gen OS by PC users in the United States probably isn’t going to happen overnight.

A survey of 2,135 “tech savvy Americans” by coupon code site CouponCodes4u.com turned up some pretty interesting numbers, not least of which was the news that more than twice of those polled are still using Windows XP on their desktops, laptops, and netbooks than are running Vista.

But the main number to look at in the CouponCodes4U-commissioned survey is 67 percent—the percentage of respondents who said they had “no plan” to upgrade to Windows 8. An additional 12 percent of those polled said they were “unsure” about upgrading, leaving just 21 percent of respondents in the gotta-upgrade-to-Win8-ASAP camp.

“It is no surprise that many people are interested in Microsoft’s new operating system, Windows 8. While it’s a hit with tablet and smartphone users which offer a touch screen, desktop PC and laptop users seem less than impressed, as it seems they were an afterthought when Windows 8 was being developed,” CouponCodes4u.com chairman Mark Pearson said in a statement.

Indeed, reasons cited by respondents who are eschewing an immediate upgrade made a decent amount of sense. For example, 67 percent of those who don’t plan on moving to Windows 8 said the new OS is “too geared towards touch screen,” which seems fair enough given that many of the software platform’s new features won’t be accessible on existing hardware. Some 58 percent of non-upgraders also called the new Live Tile interface in Windows 8 “too complicated,” while 44 percent simply like the version of Windows they’re currently running, 31 percent felt the new OS lacked support for apps and programs they use, and 25 percent described Windows 8 as not “user friendly.”

Of course, there are some folks who are excited about the new OS and its capabilities. Of those respondents who do plan to upgrade to Windows 8, 45 percent said they were “impressed” with the platform’s radical new interface, formerly dubbed Metro before Microsoft ran into trademark issues with using that name. Windows 8 also impressed 39 percent of those surveyed as being faster than earlier versions of Windows and 16 percent said they were simply “tired” of the version they’re currently running on their PCs.

The breakdown of hardware and software currently being used by respondents to the CouponCodes4U.com poll yielded some surprises. Some 51 percent said they’re using a netbook, which begs the question of how that form factor was defined in the survey, because that category as commonly defined has been in serious decline for several years. Another 27 percent had laptops, 13 percent had desktops, and 9 percent said they owned more than one type of PC, according to CouponCodes4U.com.

As far as operating systems are concerned, 56 percent said they were running Windows 7, 25 percent are still plugging away on XP, and just 12 said they have Vista installed on their PCs—perhaps highlighting just how disastrous that Windows version was for Microsoft, given that Vista was the bridge between XP and 7.

In the end, it’s probably a bad idea to make too many assumptions about this survey. The fact that folks generally don’t want to install Windows 8 on their existing hardware shouldn’t be seen as too damning for the new OS—after all, the hardware optimization needed for things like touch that are heavily featured in the new platform makes this particular version of Windows far more dependent on new system sales than previous versions of the operating system.

If people who would typically be in the market for a brand new PC actually refrain from buying one so they don’t have to make the switch to Windows 8, then Microsoft might want to start getting worried.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:54 pm 

I have 8 xp boxes, 6 xp laptops, 2 Win7 boxes and 1 Win2000 box. Biggest problem we have is the incompatibility of Win7 with some of our older "daily use" programs that are no longer available.

I heard Win8 was supposed to have a 16bit emulator so i had hope it would be a solution for us in the future..... now I'm not so sure...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

BBR wrote:
I have 8 xp boxes, 6 xp laptops, 2 Win7 boxes and 1 Win2000 box. Biggest problem we have is the incompatibility of Win7 with some of our older "daily use" programs that are no longer available.

I heard Win8 was supposed to have a 16bit emulator so i had hope it would be a solution for us in the future..... now I'm not so sure...

Don't know if this will help or not, but there is suppose to be an "add on" for Windows 7 known as "XP Mode" and it's my understanding that it will run some of the old stuff.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx

Also, have you tried DosBox on Windows 7? I've run some old 16 bit games in it on XP and it works fine for that.

http://www.dosbox.com/

IMHO Microsoft is going to have to modify Win 8 to make it more user friendly for the average user or they're going to go broke pushing a smart phone/tablet OS on desktop computer users. My guess is by next summer Win 8 will have a new look and a conventional desktop environment available for those who want it. That or they will release Windows 9 next year, which will be Win 8 with a Win 7 desktop.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 am 

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried to use the virtual machine xp feature in Win7 Pro, but it is a tremendous resource hog because you are essentially running two operating systems at once and accessing other drives and computers on the network is less than easy or reliable. Haven't had much luck with DOSBox either. Accessing drives and ports becomes a pain and is not something our mildly computer illiterate people can deal with on a daily basis.

Come on Win9!! Lol

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hree's a link to some current reviews on Windows 8 on Amazon and it seems that a great many there think it's a piece of crap also.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-System-Bu ... ewpoints=1

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:01 am 

Ken,

There have been some web sites that want me to update to Windows 8,will not even let me bypass the link. I would rather not change anything in this old Gateway that runs XP.Will there be a day that I will not be able to get on the internet unless I update to W-8? Bob J

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:54 am 
Site Admin

scoop wrote:
Ken,

There have been some web sites that want me to update to Windows 8,will not even let me bypass the link. I would rather not change anything in this old Gateway that runs XP.Will there be a day that I will not be able to get on the internet unless I update to W-8? Bob J

Well, I can't say that would never happen but Windows 7 is still around and is pretty easy to use, ie, looks much like XP.

FYI, One of my old laptops has Windows 2000 on it and it will access the internet fine now even though Micro$oft dropped support for it a few years back.

IMHO Windows XP will still be used by many even after support stops for it in 2014. End of support doesn't mean it will stop working. It just means that Mcro$oft will stop issuing updates for it.

Here is some info on "end of life" for the systems that most are using now. Note that Windows 7 support runs out in 2020 so if you're thinking about upgrading, that would be my first choice.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... #section_2

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:30 am 

The laptop that I take out on the road has Windows 7. Might have to change over my desktop. Bob J

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog