Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post subject: Windows 8
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Download Windows 8 Consumer Preview

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

Post subject: Re: Windows 8
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:20 am 

Great ... they are going to move everything around again so I have to re-learn things I already know how to do and charge me more. ](*,)

No thanks, I'll stick with XP for a while yet. ;-)

Rick

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:34 am 

No computer wiz by no means but Vista was a POS but do like windows 7...and XP.... But what do I know ](*,) ](*,) .. =;
So Ken how is it #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 am 
Site Admin

I've had a developers copy of 8 loaded on a mule box for a couple of months now but haven't fooled with it much. I can tell you though that the new desktop absolutely SUX!! I guess I need to get into it a little more so I can be more specific with regard to what is and is not good about it.

FYI Barry, I'm with ya on both XP and 7 as I like both for a Windows OS but I recently "discovered" a version of Linux called Linux Mint and I've fallen in love. I spent most of the day yesterday playing with that and the more I see, the more I like it. Ubuntu Linux is OK but it's geared more toward Mac users, ie, all the buttons and stuff are in the wrong places. That and the theme on Ubuntu kinda reminds me of dirt as it's usually some funky shade of brown.

Rick, so when did you finally ditch Windowz 98? =; I noticed recently that your OS is listed as NT5.

And along that line, I've noticed a guest that logs in here has an OS listed as Windowz 3.11?? O:) I think it's a bot but even that doesn't explain the 3.11 OS. :-k

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:28 pm 

I finally switched from W98 to XP a couple years ago when I built a new desktop for me in the house. My garage laptop (that I'm on now) I finally got wired to the house so I can access the net from the garage, has W2K Pro. It's an old Toshiba that I take to the track and had 2K installed when I bought it. Then I got a new laptop last Fall (also Toshiba) that has W7.

XP isn't really better than 98, its just different. Many drivers for usb thumbdrives were not available for 98. Nothing else in XP or any other OS that really stands out as better than 98.

I helped my parents get a new computer a few yrs ago and they only sold new with Vista at the time unless you PAID them to "downgrade". NO thanks ... I didn't want to support Vista w/o having it myself so I ended up getting them a refurb with XP.

I stay at the trailing end of all the hardware and software cycles cause it is much less expensive or as some say CHEAPER. =; and then you aren't part of the R&D that goes with new products.

Rick

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Trailing edge hardware may not be so bad in some cases.

I'm on a computer that I built over 5 years ago and when I boot it on Windows 7 and check the performance index it lists it at 4.5. Faye has a laptop she bought new in Sept a year ago and it only hits 4.6. I had thought about doing some hardware "upgrades" on this one but after looking at her laptop's performance I decided not too even though there's a couple of dozen dual and quad core processors I can upgrade too.

Faye's laptop has an Intel i3 processor and my old junk has a Pentium IV 3.6 GHz x64 socket 775 processor. Both have 4 Gigs of RAM.

My race laptop is an old Dell 620 with a 933 MHz P III processor, 512 RAM and it also has Windowz 2000 Pro. It does all I need done for the race car.

Now if I could only learn to be happy going slow in a race car............... O:)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE: Congratulations to Microsoft as they finally made an operating system that isn't even worth stealing!!! :- Good thing this developers copy I'm trying out is a free trial! They'll never have to worry about me trying to get an illegal copy of this crap as I wouldn't have the s**t if they gave me a legitimate copy! O:) Believe it or not, Windows Vista was a bargain compared to Windows 8 and Vista was a certified POS! O:)

Word of caution here, if you're looking to buy a new computer within the next 6 or 8 months you better go ahead and get it now before they start shipping new ones with this crap on them! I don't know when Win 8 is scheduled to go RTM but I'd make damn sure that whatever I bought didn't have it on it! :-

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

webermaniac wrote:
Is there a Start menu in this thing at all?

Well at leas it's faster than Vista, at least in a VM.

NO START MENU! And you have to start and stop on that funky desktop that looks like the crap they put on smart phones? IMHO if I want a freaking smart phone desktop, I'll get a freaking smart phone! =; [-(

I "discovered" Linux Mint back a week or two ago and fell in love with it. It's basically Ubuntu with a conventional Windows type desktop instead of Mac type. So far all the command line stuff I've used from Ubuntu works in Mint and it even has the correct drivers for my Linksys N speed wireless card in my laptop. All the versions of Ubuntu I tried in that laptop and my Desktops would only connect at 54G even with an ASUS N-13 wireless USB adapter that Windowz XP will show 144KMbsp with??

Ennywho, I'm slowly phasing out Windows and won't plan to take any work on Win8 systems as I don't plan to learn anything much about it. ;-)

Penguin Power \:D/

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Sergey there's a mod out that gets rid of that funky desktop that first shows up. It requires that you write a scrip to make it go directly to the desktop and there's also another mod that will put a regular "Start" button in the lower left corner of the desktop also. I'm going to try to do that here in the next day or two to see how that works.

The copy I was working with here is a Developers copy that the timer had run out on so a bunch of stuff didn't work. This morning I downloaded the newer Customer Preview version and loaded that this evening so I'll play with it a little to see how those mods work. Had it up a bit ago and my Wife said that it was UGLY! And I have to agree with her at this point.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like that info I got on the release date was wrong. It looks like this miscarriage will hit the shelves in stores in October.

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2012/0 ... le-in.html

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Well, here's a good review on Win 8 written by a guy on Slate and his view of it is just about like mine. Good read and even more reason to buy now before they try to stick you with this latest P. O. S. from Redmond!

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... _end_.html

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:16 am 

I have XP pro on my home puter and W7 on my lab top that I am using now and don't really have any issues with either of them and they work somewhat the same.. But then again what do I know :-k

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:25 am 

I dont buy new desktops just go to dump shop pic up 2 year old pc's for $20, throw in some nice ram and good hard drive and they kick arse. have XP and 7 both run nice as for Vista take 2 hours to start
with all the crap they have on it.
It is amazing what people throw out.... most of the time its a software issue.

Steve..

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Admin

@ ss436, there's a thread in this section that I posted some time back (year or two) where I raised the possibility that Micro$oft was screwing up Windows XP by increasing RAM usage during updates to slow them down so that ppl would get pissed and think something was wrong and go by new puters.

Example: Old Emachines 933 P III computer one of my customers had that originally shipped with only 128MB of SDRAM. Over the years it slowed to a crawl so I reloaded it and it ran fine, until......., wait for it..........I did all the Windowz updates and guess what happened then? Yup, it was slow as a snail again! 2 gigs of ram and it ran fine and that's not the only one I've seen do that either as most ALL of the ones I've worked on with XP got like that over the years.

When I built my first computer back in 1998 it was a P II 400 MHz and a whopping 256 MB of SDRAM that I built for gaming! The VooDoo 3D video card had 16MB of RAM and it was a screamer. That OS was Windowz 98 SE and it was also a screamer in it's day. That one eventually wound up with XP on it a few years later.

The 3 main computers that I use now (shop, living room and bedroom) were put together from some new stuff and old stuff. I have NEVER bought the newest fastest CPU because I'm Cheap! I usually never spend more than $125 or so on the CPU then buy the other parts I need to go with that older technology. During the last couple of builds I had to get some motherboards that would handle both SATA and EIDE drives cuz I have a bunch of the EIDEs from past projects. I've found deals on some used SATA drives on fleabay and a satallite tv forum that I belong too. Even got two SATA 320s from one guy that were still new in the box at half price. So I'm gradually replacing some of the old EIDE stuff as time goes on. Bought a second 1TB drive about 3 months ago from fleabay so I could backup the stuff I had on the other 1TB drive that a friend gave me for my birthday. Ya just can't have too much "stuff" IMHO!

My fastest computer is a 3.6 GHz P 4 with 4GB of DDR2, Asus P5Q Pro board with ATI 1650 PCIe vid cards. That computer has 6 active hard drives in it (4 SATA, 2 EIDE). All of those drives are bootable and I've got LInux Mint 12, XP, XP x64 bit, a second XP, Vista and 7 all on that one system. I change the boot drive in BIOS to whichever system I want to run, which is usually Linux Mint 12.

The puter in the living room has 4 drives and is a 3.2 GHz Pentium D with 4 GB of DDR2, and it only has one 1600 ATI PCIe video card. That's another Asus board but an earlier P5K Pro. I boot Ubuntu 10.10, 7 and XP on that one with one drive being storage only with a recovery partition for that load of Win 7 just so I could see how it works.

This puter I'm on here in the bedroom now is the cheapest one I have as it's a Foxconn board with a used socket 775 3.2 GHz P 4 with only 2GB of DDR. It only has 2 drives in it with Mint 12 and an old load of XP.

Out in the shop there's 7 more OLD systems that are "usable" that range from a 2 GHz socket 478 P4 down to that 933 P III that my customer use to own. She now has a Dell 3000 that I picked up at the dump and reloaded and it works fine so she gave me the old one, which would work well as a server for my network if needed.

So as you probably already guessed, I'm a pack rat and hate to throw anything away that works. With that, I guess I better get out in the shop and work on my car!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:18 pm 

Yeh Ken all that puter talk aint fixing your car O:)
Steve...

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog