Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post subject: Internet Connection
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:33 pm 

Well I have finally had enough of the Wildblue Satellite internet service. They claim "up to" 500Kbps download speeds and $50/month. Every evening the real speed was closer to 50Kbps and would occasionally reach 500Kbps in the middle of the night or early morning. Typical speeds were usually around 100Kbps. This is barely 2x dial-up speed. I called them to complain and they ran me thru the typical phone support troubleshooting ... an idiot with a computer program telling him what to do. I played along and it did no good and I asked about my signal strength (they can see it, I can't) and they said it was really good. I said "it must be your satellite link is overcrowded. I am not getting what I paid for"... his response... we can have someone come out to check it out and it will only cost $100, but we'll pay half so it will only cost YOU $50. "How will this help?" I say " your satellite is overloaded with customers and you want to charge $50 to come out and find that out? Never mind.

I can't get cable or DSL where I live so my only choices are satellite or wireless.

I first tried T-mobile ... $39/month ... cheaper than Wildblue. I hook it up and great signal strength... but normal speeds slow anyway with only very rare increase near 1000K and normally <100K, so I take it back and cancel.

Today I tried Sprint which is $59/month and they are planning 4G upgrades in the area in the Spring. Got it hooked up and with strong 3G signal I ran a couple tests and got 1600Kbps and then 2000K on a 25Mb test. Very much improved speed and definitely a HUGE improvement over Wildblue. Hopefully the 4G will get to my tower and then it will be like real broadband internet.

Wow, I might be able to load a web page w/o going to get a snack while the page loads. =;
Now I gotta change my email address on a bunch of stuff.

What email does everybody use? I like having a Pop account so my Mozilla T-bird gets mail. Does hotmail or Yahoo etc do that or am I stuck with web based email now?

Rick

Post subject: Re: Internet Connection
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:56 am 

I know ken don't like web based e-mail but I have been using G-mail for some time now and really have no issues. You will get some spam for a wile but after you delete it really slows down to maybe a few a month. I also run Mozilla's T-bird for e-mail for work and no issues there.
Just got tired of setting up new e-mail every time I changed service...
Next =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 am 

Comcast e-mail web based / internet here. Mozilla for a browser.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 am 
Site Admin

FYI, Virgin Mobile has a USB data card service available that is suppose to be a full 3G connection with unlimited use for $40 a month, NO CONTRACT but you have to buy the data card which is $80 and available through Wal Mart. I've been thinking about trying one of those myself just to see how they work.

I use nTelos here in Va which costs me the same thing but it comes with a 2 year contract and they supply the data card. My contract will be up next month so I'm right at 2 years with my setup. My connection is suppose to only be a 1.2m but throughput tells me it's more than that. Actual throughput is usually 10% of "connect speed". I use speakeasy.net/speedtest to check the speeds on mine to make sure they are up to snuff. Here is the results of a speed test I just did.

Quote:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 2395 kbps (299.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 424 kbps (53 KB/sec transfer rate)

Each morning I do a backup of the forum database before I even get out of bed and it normally only takes about 2 or 3 minutes. My connection will vary from 150 kbps to as high as 320 kpps with an "average" of around 200 to 225 kbps.

I use my data card and an MBR-1000 Cradlepoint wired/wireless router to provide internet connections for the 7+ computers/devices I have connected to my LAN. Wireless speed is 10/100 and the wireless is Draft N @ 150 and is faster than the wired part. It was so much faster with Faye's new laptop that I recently converted three of my desktop puters to wireless also. The router I have came off fleagay for $75 but they are available brand new for $150.

For Email I've been using nothing but webmail for a while now and love it. You can access it from ANY computer connection in the world and NONE of it is ever stored on YOUR computer unless you download an attachment. I've got accounts with Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo and all work well and if I only had one it would be a Yahoo account. When we were having a bunch of problems with out site host back a year or so ag0, I closed that Email account and opened one for the admin account with Yahoo and that one works OK as well. The only thing I've found that I DON'T like is that there's no way to get a delivery confirmation receipt, which I've been able to live without.

Rick you have my number and you're welcome to call later this afternoon if you'd like more info. I've got a customer coming after lunch and will be replacing a hard drive for him and that will take me a couple of hours. After dinner, around 6pm to 9pm eastern time would be good for me, and I promise I won't talk politics! =;

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:00 am 

I have had a yahoo email account for several years because I didn't want to mess with changing email accounts because of changing ISPs. I opened a gmail account because yahoo seems to have trouble handling larger attachments. It's supposed to handle 10 MB attachment but errors out when the attachment gets close to that. Gmail will handle 25 MB attachments without issue. I have never used pop mail because I think it is more likely to launch a virus than web based. Yahoo has a virus filter on your incoming email so you get a warning before downloading any attachments. I'm not sure if gmail does that. The only advantage I could think of for using pop mail is for slower internet connections but maybe there's other advantages I'm not aware of?

I have DSL at the shop and cable at home. My DSL is supposed to be up to 10 meg and usually test at least 7 and uploads at about .65. At home it's twice that both down and up and the cable thing has 20, 30 and just released a 50 meg connection. The 20 is only an extra 10 bucks a month and I'm too cheap for that so I never bothered checking prices on the others.

Eddy, my pit crew lives in a rural area and he uses a satellite internet connection. We were discussing internet connections over the weekend and he said his was a pretty fast connection that it was about 500 k. When I told the boy he said that he cracked up. I think you guys that are "out in the country" get hosed on your internet because there aren't any options. The competition of other ISPs makes the pricing a little more competitive.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:04 am 
Site Admin

Chuck you're right about getting "hosed"! DSL STOPS within a mile of my driveway and they won't run it any further down the road!!!! [-(

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:15 am 

Hey Chuck what's up? It's been a while.

You would think that since they have to use your telephone line with DSL there should be no reason that you couldn't get it anywhere you have a phone. You can get dial up everywhere why not DSL?

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 am 

When we signed up for DSL we were told the location had to be within a certain distance from the phone company. I believe the farther away from the phone company the weaker the signal. My shop is about 150' from the old phone company building which still houses a lot of the equipment. You would think with the technology today that they would be able to somehow amplify the signal and provide DSL to anyone with a phone.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Info I got is that you have to be within 30k ft of the box where your dial tone originates, or, the telephone company building. I'm within that distance but the problem is that years ago they ran fiber from the teleco to a distribution box located about a mile down the road. They say that it takes some "high dollar" equipment to run DSL over fiber and that there's not enough demand in my area to justify the expense? That's odd too as I could probably find about a 150 houses within a mile of me that are "potential" customers.

SCREW'EM, my data card download rate is actually faster than a standard DSL connection anyway, so there! ;-)

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog