Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:30 pm 

I've used the default charcoal with no probs, not even sure what the other colors are!!!

Mark

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

This will be the default page with the new Version 3 software.

http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/?style=4

Faye is going to put the MSV logo at the top of the page.  Hopefully this one will work for most ppl.  We might include two or three more but that will be it.  

I was going to experiment with the new software today but my WIFI internet connection has been horked up a good part of the day and also the server we're on has been up and down too.  So, I guess I shall wait until tomorrow to play a bit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:51 pm 

i have been on the charcoal 2 it is easy to read.

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:09 pm 

YEAH-I HAVE THE CHARCOAL AND SILVER-I CAN READ IT BETTER =;  =;

OLD EYES [-(  [-(  [-(
LIVELY

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

None of the old stuff will work with the new software so what you got now will be gone once we change over.  Just giving you all a heads up as to what is going to happen.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:11 pm 

I don,t like change i want to keep my old stuff. =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:16 pm 

Ken
will all of the information from in here be carried over to the new forum

regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Rod yes, the new software has a "conversion" feature that will bring all the info from the other board, or at least that is how it is suppose to work.  They had the version 3 software available last summer and ppl have been switching over all along so hopefully the bugs are already worked out.  George and I are experimenting on other boards first before we do it here.  The old forum on my other site is my "test mule" and once that one is successfully done we'll be looking to start on this one.  I expect this to happen within the next week or two.

And Mike, come 1/20/09 you got "change" whether you want it or not!  ;-)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:32 am 

Ok this question is from someone that don't know stuff about this but why change??????????????????
We all seem to like what is here now :-k

Speed talk has had that same board for a long time....They didn't change

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:47 am 

THAT IS A GOOD???  LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO MICROSOFT/EBAY/AND OTHERS-CHANGE DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK FOR THE BETTER [-(  [-(  [-(
ALSO RJ.COM DID SOME SLIGHT CHANGES[THEY SAID FOR THE BETTER]- AND TRASHED ALL OF OUR PICTURES AND WE CAN NOT RECOVER THEM [-X  [-X  BUT-THEY DID SAY THEY WERE SORRY =P~  =P~  =P~ CURIOUS MINDS NEED TO KNOW :-&  :-&  :-&
LIVELY

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:54 am 

There is some real good info on here and some of it or all of it could be lost ](*,)  ](*,)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Change is necessary because tech support for this old software will cease as of 1/1/09!  In other words, if something goes wrong with the software after the first of the year, there will be no one that I can ask how to fix it, like I did last week!  

I'm with you guys and I realize that no one likes to see things change (except for Nobama voters) but I feel that this is necessary simply because of the tech support issue.

This evolution of this software has had a pretty long run as we're approaching 3 years of using it now.  So this isn't something that is done that often and there are some new admin features that will help with board maintenance.  

As far as loosing pics goes, we don't host them in the first place so we can't loose them!  That's just another reason not to do that.  

The nice thing about this is that the old board database will remain in tact before, during and after the new stuff is up and running.  The new software does not change anything on the old forum but simply copies stuff from the old to the new so if something goes wrong we'll still have this old board to fall back on until things are right with the new one.  

Like I said, I'm looking to do this within the next week or two and probably will be within the next week, depending on how the conversion of the old kenrutledge.com forum goes.  Once I finish that one, and I plan to do that today, and I'm satisfied with it then this one is next.

Just hang in there and if you come to the board and it says it's shut down you'll know why.  Durning the database conversion I'll have to shut it down until it finishes that part.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:36 am 

How long will it take after you shut it down as long as everything goes as planed???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
How long will it take after you shut it down as long as everything goes as planed???

Since I haven't done it before I got no clue.  It will take longer here though simply because our database is now approaching 140MB in size.  The one over on the other site is less than 2MB.  

And on another note.  I did try to do the other site this morning but the main server doesn't have the up to date software to support this new version so we're stuck where we are unless we can get the Server Admin to upgrade the server first.  If that doesn't happen, then I might be looking to move the site to another hosting provider. =P~

I'll let you know how this works out.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

I just did a restore of the MSV database to my mirror site or I should say I tried to do a restore.  My server went down with 94% of the restore completed.  It's seldom down but Murphy's Law I suppose.  At any rate, the restore process had taken about 45 minutes at the time the server went down.  So like Ken says it will take probably a few hours to do the restore and get it ready to go operational.  And again, nothing will be lost as we have multiple backups.  In order to keep everything current we will have to do a backup after shutting down the old board so no one posts anything after the backup then restore that backup.

The biggest thing is that Ken will have to decide whether to stay with this same provider since it looks like he will have to replace a server with a new one in order to upgrade his php software.

I was at the hospital in Richmond with Lynn the day that the board went down.  While I could have restored the board when I got back home it's good that Ken had access to tech support and got a solution to get the board back up and running much quicker than a full restore would have taken so having tech support availability is a good thing to have.

Believe me, neither of us wants to do this simply because we have nothing else to do.

George

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog