Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Pit Bitch had an IBM that went belly up last year??  I got what's left of it in the shop now waiting for something that I can use the spare parts on!  This was a work laptop that he took home with him every day as his job is not an 8 hour day.  No one else in the family used it but him.  The video went haywire and would flicker and go off and on.  I think that there was either a crack in the motherboard or there was a cold solder joint in that circuit.  Either way it is toast and in my junk box.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:03 am 

Ive had 2 Dell Inspiron's that are still working great. My daughters inherited them. One gets used  a lot at school on a daily basis. She is an engineering student. I now have an HP that I use daily at school. I teach and the school provides me a laptop and docking station.
I am really leary of buying a used computer from someone I dont know very well, but I cant really justify buying a new one just to dedicate to my racing. The other reason I dont buy new is Vista. I dont use it anywhere else so I want to stay with XP.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:28 am 

What I like about ours is the number key board is part of it. It has a built in mike and camera. Bluetooth which Jake uses. It also has vista sp2 and we have not had a problem with it. I like the wifi. We can print from a different room and log on anywhere there is a service. It also has slots for 5 different camera cards.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Since Microsoft has not released a service pack 2 for Vista, I did a Google search just now to find out what Steve is talking about when he stated that he has a Vista SP2 HP laptop.

Here is the result of that search, and, it might just make it easier for some of you to purchase that new computer the way you want it!!

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20080428/vista-xp/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:47 am 

Thanks Ken. I may just need to order up a new one with a 'downgrade'.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:57 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
Since Microsoft has not released a service pack 2 for Vista, I did a Google search just now to find out what Steve is talking about when he stated that he has a Vista SP2 HP laptop.

Here is the result of that search, and, it might just make it easier for some of you to purchase that new computer the way you want it!!

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20080428/vista-xp/

Image Image I meant SP1 for vista. They said they got smarter and did all the changes in this one. I guess I had a PC moment ;-)

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

SP1 didn't change Vista all that much that I can see.  At least not what happens from the desktop anyway.  There were a bunch of security patches in SP1 but all the worthless GUI security BS is still there.  I did find a way to defeat most of that stuff though and as I said before, if you just make Vista look like "Classic Windows" it makes it much easier to navagate.  

Since Microshaft is still supporting Windows 2000 I would guess that XPee will be around for quite some time yet, especially since a bunch of users still don't want Vista.  So, I wouldn't think twice about the XPee downgrade if it's offered.  If I only had one computer, then Vista wouldn't be on any.  As it is, the computer that Vista is on also has Windows XPee and also Suse Linux so it's a tripple boot system.  If I get pissed off at any one of'em, then I got two more that I can use instead.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:31 pm 

I have an old Toshiba Satellite that I use for the drag race stuff. It had ME on it when I bought it and I managed to put 98se on it. That was a hassle at the time because of the availability of the drivers I needed. I was reluctant to go to xp but that's what is on it now. I think I bought it in 2000 so it's kinda dated now (700 mMHz and 192 megs of ram) but it's a very durable & reliable piece and works fine for data logging on my car with the datapro45 and the jr with mychrom 3 660.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:56 pm 

this is the one i bought the boy's. they play warcraft online and it has been working good on the wireless lan built in. they loaded 8 discs for warcraft. the vista has not been a problem yet. with the wireless they can go anywhere in the house they want. i also bought them wireless mouse that plugs into the usb port.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=KN986UAR

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog