Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post subject: Laptop ?
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:34 pm 

Looking to buy a cheap laptop. Internet use, games, nothing serious. What should I be looking for? Brand, size etc. I know nothing about them. I do know I don't want vista. May have to load it with xp.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:07 pm 

I am in the same search mode as you. I am looking for a relatively inexpensive laptop to take to the track, etc. Load my racing related stuff on it. Maybe watch videos on an overnight stay. I already have 3 computers and none has Vista and I dont intend to start using it just yet. I'll go to Vista when we change over at work.
I dont do gaming.
It would be interesting to hear suggestions as to what to look for.
Dennis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:24 pm 

look through here.
http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=NBB

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:42 pm 

You can still get XP you just need to ask for it ....One other thing...You get what you pay for O:)  O:)  O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen some complaints with The Geeks Site tech support, or rather the lack thereof!  They sell on fleabay and that's where I got that info.

Here is where I would look if you HAVE to have a laptop and you can't find a decent used one.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/ca ... =19&~ck=mn

If it wasn't for my car, I wouldn't have a laptop.  They suck!  I don't like the touch screen mouse nor do I care for the "compressed" keyboard.  I got big fingers and typing on one is somewhat of a pain in the arse.

I do have a couple of old Dell Laptops that were given to me cuz they were horked up.  Both had bad hard drives in'em and now I have one for the car and the other is connected to my satellite receiver.  

If you can find one that is like 900MHz or up for not much $$ then I'd try that, and when I say not much $$ I mean in the $50 range.  Just make sure you get as many of the accessories that go with it as possible, ie, charger, floppy and CDROM drives and software if possible.  Batteries, hard drives and memory are all available on fleabay should you find one that needs some TLC.  

The one I use on the car is a Latitude 610 with a 1000MHz (1GHz) Pentium III processor, 512 meg of RAM and a new (last year) 60GB hard drive that cost me around $50.  I run Winders XPee SP3 on it and it works fine for what I want it to do.  I also got a draft N wireless network card in it to allow me to transfer files between computers.

As far as games go, I don't think I'd buy one for gaming simply because the cost of the 3D hardware and extra memory would make them really expensive.  That, the touch screen and small keyboard would make it harder to use for that also.  For gaming I use a 5 button mouse and additional keyboard binds for different game functions.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:16 pm 

If it were me I would not buy a Dell...Had 2 of them and both were junk..Didn't last a year with problems...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:21 pm 

Online games was what I was refering too. I have another computer, maybe I need to see about networking them together. My wife wants to get online at the same time as me LOL. Other than that I have no use for a laptop.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:26 pm 

StrokerCamaro wrote:
Online games was what I was refering too. I have another computer, maybe I need to see about networking them together. My wife wants to get online at the same time as me LOL. Other than that I have no use for a laptop.

On line gaming???Your time would be better spent in the garage working on that camaro engine O:)  O:)  O:)  O:)  =;  =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing wrong with online gaming Greg!!  It's good for hand and eye coordination and also keeps your reflexes keen.  I spend about an hour or so a day at it.   ;-)

If you want some networking advice just ask.  George and I both have networks and I'm sure there are others here that do this as well.  We just need to know what kind of connection you have.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

OH BTW, I don't think you can get a Dell laptop with XPee any more??  At least not without paying for the "downgrade" that is!  If I'm wrong then someone please correct me.  

Buying one with Vista then switching to XPee isn't a done deal either.  There are NO drivers written for XP on most of the newer laptop hardware so unless someone is offering the XPee downgrade then I don't think I'd consider that as an option.

Barry won't buy a Dell, and I wouldn't buy anything else?  I've got two Dell laptops and three Dell Desktops.  I guess one computer brand can't be all things to all ppl hey!  ;-)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:48 pm 

just thought i would throw my 0.02¢ worth into this discussion

i have had atleast 8 laptops over the years & all of them have been IBM excluding the last couple as they are now Lenovo - IBM, never had any problems with any of them & some of them get a bit of a work out

most of these have traveled to & from work in the boot / trunk or my car for 6 days of the week as i use it as a work machine & just drop it onto a port replicator when i get to work

the last couple i have have been passed down to my children & family friends, my very last machine that i had i was going to keep & use it just for the race car but my youngest son has taken it over & you know what punishment a 8 year old can do to a laptop, at times it makes my head spin as it was a good $4K machine

no matter what i tell him he does the oppersite so i have given up even talking about it, i bought my partner a Lenovo - IBM laptop last christmas 07 & she loves it & has not had any problems at all

guess i would buy enother Lenove - IBM without any hesitation

regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:05 pm 

Beretta wrote:
StrokerCamaro wrote:

On line gaming???Your time would be better spent in the garage working on that camaro engine O:)  O:)  O:)  O:)  =;  =;

LOL actually my wife is the gamer, I very seldom play. I am usaually reading about hot rods. Barry, I,m getting my plans in order for an engine ;-)

Ken, and everyone else, good info about the lap tops.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:49 pm 

rodrocket wrote:
just thought i would throw my 0.02¢ worth into this discussion

i have had atleast 8 laptops over the years & all of them have been IBM excluding the last couple as they are now Lenovo - IBM, never had any problems with any of them & some of them get a bit of a work out

most of these have traveled to & from work in the boot / trunk or my car for 6 days of the week as i use it as a work machine & just drop it onto a port replicator when i get to work

the last couple i have have been passed down to my children & family friends, my very last machine that i had i was going to keep & use it just for the race car but my youngest son has taken it over & you know what punishment a 8 year old can do to a laptop, at times it makes my head spin as it was a good $4K machine

no matter what i tell him he does the oppersite so i have given up even talking about it, i bought my partner a Lenovo - IBM laptop last christmas 07 & she loves it & has not had any problems at all

guess i would buy enother Lenove - IBM without any hesitation

regards
rod

I agree with Rod as we have 8 IBM/lenovo lab tops with the business im in. there in our trucks and have a ton of software loaded on them along with a gps map program and no real problems except 2 had recalled batteries in them but they sent new ones right out....I also have my Computech data logger program on the one Im using right now
n =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:28 pm 

Acer  $650 That is what we have..

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:46 pm 

This is close to ours. but ours has 250 gig HD