Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Sam wrote:
Ken.

put the HD in another computer to get at the my docs stuff, you'll need to be signed in as admin and change all the permissions to access the folders to avoid the access denied crap.

went through this the other week. lost a load of stuff but managed to recover most of the docs and pictures.

Yeah Sam, I already have that drive in another puter but still can't get past the "Access Denied" BS.  That folder doesn't even have a "Secutity" tab in "Properties" that allows the permissions to be changed??  

I'm going to try the Linux Live Suse thingie this am as Linux will bypass the Winders security s**t, or at least that is what some ppl online say.  You can read NTFS from Linux but not the other way round.  Suse Live runs from the CD so it won't reqire a dedicated load to do this.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Slowpoke wrote:
A friend of mine just bought a Mac laptop, and had the harddrive partitioned with XP on one side, and the MAC operating system on the other side.  

A Mac is just a PC with a Unix based OS on it because now Apple is using the same hardware that a Windowz PC is based on.  

You can have a dual boot system using Virtual Machine software as I've loaded Linux on a regular PC before in a partition that VM created for that purpose.  And the nice thing about it is that you can uninstall all that stuff and it's back like it was before you started.  

I'm not a big Mac fan because of the stuff they can't do.  Everyone I know that owns a Mac also has to have a PC so why have two when one will do?  

As far as the speed issue goes, if you "Tweak" WinXPee you can get it quite a bit faster than it is in default mode.  Been there, done that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

I used Linux to access that My Documents folder but even after it opened it it didn't show me anything.  Like the stuff wasn't even there.  

So, I ran the repair tools in WinXP on that drive while it was in a WinXPee mule box.  It took about 2 hours to complete and afterwards Vista would boot up but it was missing a bunch of s**t and half the stuff didn't work.  The good news is that I got those files off then and copied them to the WinXPee drive so I didn't loose any data.  From now on, I'll just create another folder on the C: drive to keep this type stuff in so I can get to it from any other puter on my network and also I'll be able to access it with that drive connected to the "mule" box.  

After that I messed with that Vista drive for the better part of the day trying to fix it only to give up about 10 minutes ago and just wiped it out and now I'm starting over!  One more time like this and this sombiatch will be in the trash!  I've wasted 2 damn days horking around with this POS and I've about had it.  [-(

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:12 pm 

VISTAS WONDERFULL [-(  [-(  [-(  [-(  [-(

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog