Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post subject: Windowz Vista?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Well, after all the bad news for the past week I thought it would be nice to have a laugh for a change.  This is really funny, at least for a computer repair guy it is!

http://blip.tv/file/340692/

Last edited by Ken0069 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:31 am 

That rocks \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:06 pm 

that was good.. i just ordered two laptops for cristmas that have vista O:)

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:34 pm 

VISTA SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:06 pm 

I'm still running xp on my puter now, but am looking into getting a Mac when I get my new one.  I haven't heard anything good about vista yet.  What do you computer gurus think of Macs?

Thanks guys,
Mark

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:38 am 

I have Vista on my laptop and it takes time to get used to it. But I have not had any problems.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:43 am 

tonyy358 wrote:
that was good.. i just ordered two laptops for cristmas that have vista O:)

Tony, Our IT guy had got a lob to for the office and had Vista on it. There was nothing But problems with it. Kept on locking up with programs that we needed to have. The main one was Quick books O:) He spent a hole day on the phone with tech support and finally they swapped it for one with XP pro..
Problem solved..

If it were me and I don't know $**t about computers I would stick with XP for now..... =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:10 am 

I'm getting old. I hate change. Must be an old Dog new trick thing. You just get to know one and they have to change it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with Dennis on the "change" thingie.  I configure my XPee systems to look like Win 95 so I'm way back still.  The bad thing about it is they still have the same s**t in'em but they move it all around??  Like same s**t, different place, is what I've found.  

I had a working copy of Vista before it was available to the general public.  I ran it for about a week and that was it for me, back then.  I didn't like all the BS questions it asked when you wanted to do something, ie, make a mouse click and a box popped up asking if you were sure you wanted to do this.  Well, after about a dozen of those I had enough and it got gone.  

So, this last computer I just put together got a multiple boot setup and one of the operating systems on there is Vista.  I found some "tweaks" to get rid of the nag stuff and with service pack 1 it seems to be better both speed and reliability wise.  Hardware support is good and you can also fix the desktop to look like "Classic Windows" ie, Windows 98 if you want.  So I'll start using that one within the next week to see if I can stick with it.  Oh, that computer also has Windowz XPee and it will have Suse Linux available also.  

RE: Mac.  I know several ppl that have Macs and they are fanatics but NONE of'em only have a Mac.  All of'em have both a Mac and a PC because there are some things you can do faster with one or the other.  Me?  I get along with a PC and don't see a need for a Mac, especially if I've got to have a PC anyway to do what a Mac can't.

Bottom line is that if you buy a Mac, you're going to pay thru the nose for it!  I'd venture to guess that an apples to apples comparison of the PC and Mac would put the Mac at over twice the cost of a PC with all hardware being equal.  Oh, and Mac computers now use Intel processors just like PCs do!!  Basically the only difference between a Mac and a PC is the Unix based operating system that a Mac uses.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:55 pm 

i had read up on vista before i purchased my new puter last year, i got it with xp pro..

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:22 am 

XP pro is what I have now. I'm not happy with it because it's not the same as 98SE and I wasn't happy with 98se because it wasn't 95. they keep obsoleting them every time you get used to one.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Bubstr wrote:
XP pro is what I have now. I'm not happy with it because it's not the same as 98SE and I wasn't happy with 98se because it wasn't 95. they keep obsoleting them every time you get used to one.

Dennis you can make XPee look and work kinda like Win. 98.  I got all mine setup that way, and I even setup Vista like that too.  Yup, hard to teach old dogs new tricks.

Post subject: Vista Update!
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

This operating system really sux!  It's been crashing on a regular basis now for about two weeks and finally this morning it went "belly up" and I can't get it to do s**t!  I've tried everything I know to get it back up and running without a reload to no avail!  There for a while I though it was going to be OK but not so now!  I've spent the better part of the day trying to get the contents of the "My Documents" folder off so I can put that stuff on a puter that is useable and I keep getting this s**t about "Access Denied" and even Google hasn't found a fix for it to this point.  So, right now I'm in a position that I have to load a "live" version of Linux on this computer with the drive with the Vista s**t on is so that I can get that stuff off.

Man, is this a POS or what?  Geez!! O:)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:56 am 

Ken.

put the HD in another computer to get at the my docs stuff, you'll need to be signed in as admin and change all the permissions to access the folders to avoid the access denied crap.

went through this the other week. lost a load of stuff but managed to recover most of the docs and pictures.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:22 am 

A friend of mine just bought a Mac laptop, and had the harddrive partitioned with XP on one side, and the MAC operating system on the other side.  You can have XP running in the background at the same time as the Mac side is running.  

He did this because he had so much software for windows (engineering and racing related programs) that he didn't want to give up or replace.   He runs it as a MAC till he needs to do something that MAC can't do, or he needs to run a program that is loaded on XP.  Switching between the two is as easy as clicking an Icon.  He hasn't seen a down side to the set-up yet, and the Mac is way faster at doing everything it does.  

I'm thinking seriously about a MAC set up like this for my next laptop.

Donee

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog