Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

DO YOU HAVE ANY INTEREST IN KNOWING HOW A COMPUTER IS BUILT?
Poll ended at Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:34 am
YES 100%  100%  [ 10 ]
NO 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
WHAT'S A COMPUTER? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:17 am 
Site Admin

I'll let ya know Jody as soon as it gets put together.  I, too, do a lot of DVD burning.  Depending on the size of the AVI file, it takes 1.5-2 hours to convert and burn a DVD with my current system which is a 3GHz Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of RAM.  I just recently added the second gig and didn't see any real difference.  I'm hoping this Quad Core will speed things up a bit. =;

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:18 pm 

us7race wrote:
... it uses 99-100% CPU on my machine to do 1 movie. About 1 hour and it's converted, burn't and ejected.

gdmii wrote:
I'll let ya know Jody as soon as it gets put together.  I, too, do a lot of DVD burning.  Depending on the size of the AVI file, it takes 1.5-2 hours to convert and burn a DVD with my current system which is a 3GHz Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of RAM.  I just recently added the second gig and didn't see any real difference.  I'm hoping this Quad Core will speed things up a bit. =;

George

What size/length files are you converting?
I do quite a bit of video too.  I use premier elements and my computer has a dual core pentium 2.8 processor with a gig of ram and a couple of sata hard drives.  To render an hour of raw AVI video to DVD which the file is around 13 gigs takes about an hour.  I had a 2.0 athalon (xp2400 I think) before I upgraded to this and it took 6 to 8 times as long to do the same thing.  I can also do other stuff on the computer while the video is converting. The old set up would hang if I tried to do anything else while converting.  I think PE is a little slower converting than some of the other programs available but the quality of the finished vid is better and it's fairly easy to ues.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

My AVI files are anywhere from 750MB to about 1.2GB.  If your dual core is chopping that much time off then this quad core should fly.  I'm getting anxious to find out.  I use Nero most of the time to convert and burn with because I can customise my own menus with images, animation, and/or background music.  I'll take a look at PE and see what it can do.  Thanks Chuck.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:28 pm 

MY NEW COMPUTER HAS THE QUADCORE AND KICKS BUT ON THE VIDS.
ALSO HAVE 4 GIG OF MEMORY.

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:42 pm 

gearhead1011 wrote:
us7race wrote:
... it uses 99-100% CPU on my machine to do 1 movie. About 1 hour and it's converted, burn't and ejected.

gdmii wrote:

George

What size/length files are you converting?
I do quite a bit of video too.  I use premier elements and my computer has a dual core pentium 2.8 processor with a gig of ram and a couple of sata hard drives.  To render an hour of raw AVI video to DVD which the file is around 13 gigs takes about an hour.  I had a 2.0 athalon (xp2400 I think) before I upgraded to this and it took 6 to 8 times as long to do the same thing.  I can also do other stuff on the computer while the video is converting. The old set up would hang if I tried to do anything else while converting.  I think PE is a little slower converting than some of the other programs available but the quality of the finished vid is better and it's fairly easy to ues.

Hey Chuck most of the video's I am converting ae around 800mb some are over a gig. Once converted they are almost 4 gig. I use " Convert X to DVD". it works well.. Thanks George I will am curious.

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

The case came in today and now I know why the damn things cost so much anymore.  All my old cases had plastic fronts and blocking plates for the extra holes and painted metal sides and top.  Not this thing.  Get this...it's all anodized aluminum except the openings in the lower front for the air intake to the fan.  The edges of that were left natural for a silver highlight.

I took pics as I went with the motherboard and psu installation.  I'll post everything when I finish up.  All the other parts are due in tomorrow.  So by tomorrow night I will either have a smoking mess in the kitchen or a running bad ass new computer.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 am 

Leave it to George to build a hot rod computer \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it's not like firing up a new motor for the first time but the new computer is up and running.  At least part way that is.  I'm doing a full format on the hard drive right now which takes forever but it POSTed fine.  As soon as that finishes I'll get the rest of Windows installed and do a little speed testing.

On another note, my precious wife said today, "Now how are you planning on running both of those computers with only one monitor?"  And I said, "Dayum, Honey!  You know, I forgot all about another monitor."  (fingers crossed behind back)  So now I have a new 22" widescreen to go with the computer. \:D/

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Formatted a 320GIG drive on a 1.7 MHz Pentium 4 the other day and it took right at an hour!  In fact, Tuesday morning I had 5 computers here in the shop to work on and had 3 going at the same time.  Thought I was on a "merry go round" there for a while.  

Unfortunately all those were "freebies" so I got no money out of'em but a couple belong to people that do things for me so it's kinda like a trade off.  Two of'em belong to two elderly ladies in the community that I do work for for free and the other one belongs to my uncle.  

When I put that 500 GIG drive in this 3.6GHz Pentium 4 it didn't take that long to get it up and running cuz I cloned the partitions from the other drives that were previously in this one (George couldn't do this b cuz of new hardware).  In fact, those spare drives are still in there, just not being used at the moment.  They're kinda like a backup in case this 500 decides to hork up!  

But thinking about those, I could go ahead and connect them anyway as the 500 GIG is a SATA and the other two are EIDEs.  I do have two IDE ports available on this board and technically, I could have as many as 6 drives connected to it.  Yeah, now that's some serious storage space for all my "stuff", hey!

Or, I could load Linux on one of'em and make a dual boot system!  Hummm, that sounds like a good idea!!  I think I just figured out my project for the day, hey!! =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes those freebies come back around to help you though and even if they don't you get a good feeling about helping someone.

This thing took just under an hour to format 640 gigs.  Not bad I guess.  Once I got XP loaded up I set it up stock at 2.66GHz on the CPU and 1333MHz on the FSB and ran it for a while and monitored temps.  Then I cranked it up and overclocked it to 3.2GHz and 1600MHz on the FSB!!!!  And the temps barely moved.  WOOOOWHOOOO.  It's been running that way for the last 8 hours.  The CPU that runs natively at 1600 costs around $1500 so I'm getting about the same performance for less than 1/4 of that cost.  That's what buying faster RAM than needed does for you plus it looks like I got a good CPU chip.  Not all will overclock reliably even with the same specs.  Although a 3.2 overclock is relatively mild.  Some guys are pushing this CPU to 3.6-4.2GHz.  In my younger days I would be going for the max but a stable 3.2 works for me now.  I haven't tried doing any video conversions yet as I'm still loading software but I'll get around to that in a day or two.  

So far it seems like a great system!!

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:22 am 
Site Admin

Well...the results are in.  An AVI file that took 2 hours to convert and get ready to burn on the old computer took...drum roll please...21 minutes!!!

This thing is smokin. \:D/  \:D/

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:37 am 

Great job George \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:15 am 

\:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

So how about an explanation of "Overclocking"!   Along with it’s advantages and disadvantages.  

I’ve done that in the past with mixed results so I think some discussion is in order here.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm 

Interesting stuff.  I built my machine in the media room.  I put it in a horizontal rack mounted case and only eight fans to cool it.  Honestly I thought it would be a lot more difficult, but in the end it was no more difficult than reading the install directions included with the motherboard.

I too used Newegg for most parts and the best part about it they are located just 15 miles away...and the UPS station is in between...choose three day ship and get it in 1!

Glad to read your's handled the overclocking because mine hates it.  Mine is about 4-5 years old so maybe it's a sign of the times.

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog