Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Did high fuel prices change your holiday plans?
Poll ended at Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:53 am
Yes 48%  48%  [ 10 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
What Holiday? 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Just wondering if high gas prices caused you to change your holiday plans.  I talked to a friend the other day that goes to Bike Week at Myrtle Beach, Sc every year and he said that attendence was WAY down this year.  Uaually you have to have reservations to get a room there but this year almost none of the motels were booked solid.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:07 am 

There was alot I wanted to do but I ended up doing things for our business and working on my car. We just dropped the engine in and are trying to get it going. But the gas prices did not and would not have stopped me from going anywhere.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:28 am 

We had already made plans to spend the weekend with my mother-in-law in her timeshare in Vail, Co.  Where we did have to curtail travel is that we were also planning a short road trip as well.  We got here and parked my truck.  Every place we've gone has been within five miles from the condo...................Lots of travel in the coming weeks though.................

Mark

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:34 am 

Well we didnt have any plans to speak of this weekend .

But i have talked to a lot of the local racers that usually do a lot of out of town races clay city KY norwalk Indy bowling green witch are all within 2 hours drive from here and i was shocked how many are not going because of the fuel prices a good friend of mine that runs two dragsters and a door car goes to a lot of big money races but now is staying home with diesel over 4.00 dollars a gallon it sure can eat up some money especially towing .

We are planing on going to clay city for a couple of races and that trip will cost at least 200 or more.

and that is only about a 100 miles for us but with fuel and a hotel room it gets there quick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:44 am 

For the last several months, I haven't used any gas but what it took to mow the lawn, and I have given serious thought to getting a goat, and renting him out.  Wife drives her Zion box van to work the auctions and picks up food on the way. Went back to riding a bicycle. They say it is good for me lol.  I'm not paying 4 dollars a gallon for gas.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:11 am 

It didn't really change my plans but we don't travel on Memorial weekend.  I don't think it would've changed my plans anyway.  My wife says she has noticed the interstate traffic seems to have slowed down.  I had the vinyl numbers made for my car Saturday morning and my sign guy does a lot of fishing. He said the fuel prices changed his Memorial day weekend routine. He said he might go for 1 day but the price of fuel to get to and from the lake and a boat that gets 2 miles to the gallon definitly limited his plans.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Well, put me in the "What Holiday" catagory cuz I'm retired and never get a day off or a vacation anyway!  O:)  =;  It's like the question, "what does a dog do on his day off?"  He can't lay around cuz that's his job!  =;

About two months ago I went and bough fuel for the tow truck and I also put 50 gal of diesel in a drum in the back, which I've been using since then.  Last week I used almost all that fuel up so now I'll have to fork over  about $.75 more a gallon for diesel and that will change my plans drastically!  Diesel here is now @ $4.59 a gallon!!  We'll probably just run at Natural Bridge from now on cuz it's only 45 miles from my house.  I got enough diesel fuel for one trip to "The Bridge" then it's pay up time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:04 pm 

We didn't have any real plans. But we found out about the Sport Nationals and National Dragster Challenge so we went to Bowling green. I'll let you know on gas for down and back. Probably $75. Race gas was $7.00 for a gal of 110. We went through 10 gallons in 2 days on 17 runs.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

On 17 passes I'd have burnt over 20 gallons!  #-o

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:35 pm 

We were complaining about 10 gal :-  I guess we also ran 2 classes and it is a long ways from the turn off to the place we pitted the back down to get in the staging lanes. Then repeat. 1/8th mile run almost one mile drive around.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:37 pm 

just fueled up today with diesel 4.75 gallon.. #-o

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:39 pm 

Gas here is $4.06 for regular unleaded and diesel is $4.71-$4.89 depending on which station you buy it at.............I'm thinking of running the dragster on E85 when I get it here.  Only $2.50 or so a gallon in Denver last time I checked.........................

Mark

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:50 pm 

Gas prices?? No it had no effect on my weekend BUT a wedding i was supposed to go to on Sat did.. I got dressed (in suit and tie) Got there on time..Waited around AND found out THE FRICKING THING IS NEXT WEEKEND  O:)  O:)  O:)  O:)  DOOOOHHHHHHH    ](*,)  ](*,)  ](*,)  ](*,)  [-(  [-(  [-(

2008 P.S.C.A B1 Champ

2010 WCHRA SPM Champ

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:47 pm 

intocarss wrote:
Gas prices?? No it had no effect on my weekend BUT a wedding i was supposed to go to on Sat did.. I got dressed (in suit and tie) Got there on time..Waited around AND found out THE FRICKING THING IS NEXT WEEKEND  O:)  O:)  O:)  O:)  DOOOOHHHHHHH    ](*,)  ](*,)  ](*,)  ](*,)  [-(  [-(  [-(
O:)  O:)  O:)  [-o<  [-o<  [-o<  =;  =;  #-o

Diesels 4.76 down here, and only heading one direction.  It's increasing better than my 401k!  Bout to go buy a thousand gallons and sell it back to them in 6 months... \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:53 pm 

Tanner wrote:
 Bout to go buy a thousand gallons and sell it back to them in 6 months... \:D/

We can call you Tanner Schumacher. =;

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog