Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post subject: Geo Metro
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Well, my 1991 Geo Metro is finally going to get an engine overhaul. Got what sounds like a main bearing thumping at hot idle and it's also acting like it's got another burnt valve. Funny, first burnt valves showed up around 128K miles and here it is only 162K miles and it's got another? 32K miles and a burnt valve? No, the same guy won't grind the valves this time!!! :-

Ennywho, I've got a spare engine that came with the other Geo I bought years ago so I've got that one down now and have the parts ordered to overhaul that one then swap them. Overhaul kit was $239, which included a new oil pump and water pump and a new set of valves was $60. By the time I pay for the valve job I'll probably have around $400 in it and hopefully I'll get more than 30k miles out of the head work this time around.

Geo engine, cataract surgery, hearing aids, roof work and possibly new roof in the near future? Kinda got me "gun shy" wondering what else is going to hork up!! #-o

Post subject: Re: Geo Metro
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE: I think I may have found the problem with my Geo engine even before I pull it out.

This spare engine that I've overhauled had two pistons that had cracks running from the skirt upward about an inch beside the pin boss so I suspect that's what's wrong with the engine in the car as the guy that swapped those out for me said this is a common problem with these engines. This spare engine had 90K miles on it and the one in the car I'm driving has 160K miles on it so I guess it's overdue.

Ennywho, that fresh engine is ready to go in the car and I'll probably change them out next week and hopefully it'll be good for another 100K at least.

Having to drive that 83 Chevy truck is killing me MPG wise as it only gets about 15/18. That Geo gets well over 40 around town and I sure do miss that!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Engine swap is done except for a new O ring for the distributor housing and a new exhaust donut for that pipe connection at the mainfold. I was able to pull this engine out and put it back without pulling the transaxle so that saved me a fair amount of time.

I turned it over with the starter and got 182/190 PSIG compression so it's a good bit better than that old engine with 162K miles on it.

I'll probably test drive it tomorrow and I'm looking forward to leaving that 83 Chebby gas guzzler sitting in the driveway from now on.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I guess it's officially done as I put 45 miles on it today and it got me back home still running.

Now I got problems with my Dodge so looks like it's a never ending process when you drive junk! I guess that's why I have 3 vehicles licensed and insured, hey!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Well, the Metro has about 600 miles on the overhauled engine and I've already changed the break in oil out and refilled it with Mobile 1. I guess it's a keeper!

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog