Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post subject: Cataracts?
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Well, since I'm probably going to get hearing aids tomorrow I went ahead and scheduled appointments to have my cataracts removed in December. Left eye on the 3rd and the right eye on the 17th.

I have astigmatism and they want an additional $2000 to fix that in the process but Medicare won't pay for that so I've opted out of that part. The Dr tried to argue that the $500 cost of glasses every 2 or 3 years would over take that $2000 in a few years to which I replied, not my glasses as I get them online for $173 and that's for REAL GLASS photo gray lenses, not plastic! Dr didn't like that mumbling something to the effect of "substandard glasses" to which I replied, hey, they work for me!!

Ennywho, will see about the hearing aids tomorrow afternoon and if I get them I'll have 90 days to decide whether I want to keep them or not. For $2000 they better be damn good is all I can say!

Post subject: Re: Cataracts?
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Had the cataract removed from my left eye today and that procedure went well. The pupil in that eye is still dilated and I can't focus it yet but I'm suppose to go back to the Dr in the morning for him to check it to make sure it's OK. After that I've got drops to put in my eye multiple times a day for the next week or so then will have the right eye done on the 17th.

From what I can see out of that eye now, white things are REALLY white!! Not sure if this is from that pupil being dilated or that the new lens is that much clearer than the other one. I guess I'll know more about that in the morning.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Left eye is doing very well now as I can see better at a distance without any glasses on at all. Close up I still need a bifocal but it's nowhere near as bad as it was before the surgery. The Right eye will be done this coming Tuesday and I'm looking forward to finishing this up as all those drops in my eyes 4 times a day is a PITA!

And speaking of drops, here's a link to another thread I just posted about the cost of the drugs used after cataract surgery!!! [-( :-({|=

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10050&p=83618#p83618

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Right eye was done yesterday and had my day after checkup this morning and all is well according to the Dr. He checked my vision in that eye and it's 20/15 without any correction, ie, no glasses. The other eye isn't that good but it's better than it was before the surgery. They've scheduled my eye exam for 12/31/13 so I can get some new glasses.

Only thing I've got left to do now is use those expensive steroid eye drops in my eyes and it's going to cost me another $80 for another prescription to get to the end of that part three weeks from now. CRAP! $80 for only 10 ml and each ml = about 20 drops. I'll have to buy a whole bottle just to get enough to finish out the last week as I'm about 1 or 2 ml short. [-(

Post Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Went back to the eye Dr for my final checkup and eye exam yesterday and my regular vision is 20/20 in both eyes now with a slight amount of astigmatism in the right eye. Doc says I may not even need glasses to correct that but I do still need a 2.25 bifocal for reading.

So this morning I went to Walmart and got a pair of those "cheap" 2.0 reading glasses for $5 and I'm going to try to make do with those for now instead of buying a high dollar pair of prescription glasses. I'll get a nice pair of sun glasses for driving but that's going to be way less than new prescription glasses.

They modified the steroid drop schedule I was on and after tweaking it further myself I've found out that I can get by with a 5ml bottle of that instead of the 10ml that I originally got. The cost off the 5ml bottle was right at half of what the 10ml costs so I saved myself about $40 on that. I'll be on those drops until the end of this month, which will be a total of 8 weeks! [-(

Ennywho, in the end this whole deal is going to cost me around $700+/- out of pocket O:) OUCH!

Hummm, $2000 in hearing aids, $700 in cataract removal, $450 in the Geo engine, CHRISTMAS and still no new tires for the dragster?? ](*,)

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog