Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog

Post subject: Windowz 98??
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, Rick would be proud of me for this one. Last Wednesday morning I got a call from Kowalsky Racing Engines concerning problems they were having with their dyno computer. Keep in mind that I've never seen this one so I had no idea what to expect until I was told that it was a Windowz 98 computer that wouldn't boot?? So I'm thinking just WTF uses anything any more that requires Windowz 98?? So I made the trip over there after lunch.

What I found was an old IBM work station computer that looked VERY OLD!! Don says that he'd been using that thing for the better part of 10 years before it broke and that he'd only paid $75 for it when he bought it used. Ennywho, I had a computer here in the shop that had 98 on it so I took that with me. Good thing too as the IBM would POST but that was about it.

They had a spare XP computer I had given them a couple of years ago so we tried that and the dyno software did load in it. Don had made a call to Super Flow looking for info on whether Windowz XP would work or not but they were at lunch so he left them a message for a return call.

So I got in the car and headed home around 3pm thinking that the XP box would work as it "seemed" to be working when I left. WRONG ANSWER! Got a call later that evening and Don said that Super Flow had told him that XP wouldn't work and he did actually try it and confirmed that. So he connected up my old Win 98 box I had left there and did manage to get the pulls done that next day.

Friday evening he showed up here at my shop with 2 old computers for me to work on. One was that IBM work station and another was an old computer that belonged to his son. Mean while I had an old HP puter here in the shop that had Windowz ME on it and I had reloaded that one to try on the dyno since 98 and ME were written on the same kernal and it "should" work. More on that one later.

Saturday morning I checked out the IBM and it had lost the boot sector and the partition tables?? Ran some hard drive diagnostics on it and didn't find anything wrong?? So I formated that drive and reloaded 98 on it and it seemed to work fine for about 3 reboots, then it lost the partition tables and boot sector yet again?? DAYUMNIT! I had an extra drive in my desk drawer so I put that one in the IBM and reloaded it yet again only this time it looks like it's going to work. So much for the "diagnostics software" I guess then, hey?? I've had that thing on the work bench several times over this weekend and it's still working! Oh, and BTW, that computer is a 166 MHz Pentium I with 640 K of memory! Talk about old!!

After that one was up and running I reloaded that old computer that belonged to his son and it seems to be working fine too. So the way it stands now, Don will have 3 computers available for his shop dyno, IF, that HP I have with ME on it will work that is. The old saying is that when you drive junk you need to have more than one. I guess this also applies to Windowz 98 computers that work with Don's dyno!

I'll likely be over there tomorrow and I'll find out if that ME box will work. If it does then he'll be bad fast compared to the junk he was running as the ME box is a 750 MHz Pentium III with 256 MB of ram. Quite an increase in performance, hey!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Windowz 98??
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:06 am 
Site Admin

UPDATE: Well, that ME box had some "issues" Tuesday when I connected it to the dyno so I brought it back home and loaded Win 98 on it. Took it over yesterday and tried to use it but experienced some major problems with recording. We must have messed with that dyno for 2 hours trying to get the computer and it working correctly but every time we tried to simulate a pull the computer would loose the com port connection and then lock up.

Long story short that SuperFlow 901 has memory in it that stores xx number of runs. Once you get to the max then it won't store any more and will break the com port connection. There is a button on the console that says "Clear Memory" and I asked Don several times what that button did. He said he'd never used it so he didn't know?? Ennywho, he pushed that button and EVERYTHING WORKED FINE AFTER THAT!! Which makes me wonder if this was the problem with the ME load??

Anyway, Don now has 3 Win 98 computers in his shop so hopefully those will last him until he's done with the business! So the end of this problem brings me to the next one. A spare printer that is compatible with Win 98? O:) Yup, that one will be about as scarce as hens teeth!

Oh, and I did get to watch a pull on one of his late model engines, two barrel carb and all. I won't give the exact numbers but it was well over 400 HP on the two pulls I saw. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Ken0069's Blog