Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Show Off Your Stuff!

Post subject: New Truck!
 Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:14 pm 

I went truck shopping last November and after talking myself out of it several times I finally ordered it last March. I picked it up yesterday after closing shop about an hour early. It's a 2012 F250 Powerstroke 4X4. The power this thing has is just off the hook. I didn't park it until I had put 120 miles on it. I went by Steve's and took him and his buddy for a ride.

Greg took some pics and uploaded them to my PB account today. Here they are.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject: Re: New Truck!
 Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Ya know, ya just can't hide money can ya! ;-) Me, I'd have problems just paying the taxes and insurance on that thing! Looking good though.

I really like my Dodge and the only thing I'd change about it would be to put an Allison automatic in it! Right about now I'm tired of working on these manual transmissions!! [-(

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:17 pm 

Very nice. I would be interested in fuel mileage while towing after its broken in of course.

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:59 pm 

It is a really nice truck! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Chuck to me and my Son in-law for a ride. All kinds of room and a nice ride. Chuck got his money's worth with this truck. Chuck had 79 miles when he got to my house. LOL

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:59 pm 

And it is really high off the ground. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:19 pm 

Nice.....very nice!

That ought to last you till you're to old to race. =;

Always good to see someone get something they've been wanting! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Congratulations!

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:25 pm 

good purchase, and support for FORD.

nice looking truck.

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:24 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Ya know, ya just can't hide money can ya! ;-) Me, I'd have problems just paying the taxes and insurance on that thing! Looking good though.

I really like my Dodge... [-(

You can't hide what you don't have. The business actually bought it and will make the payment on it so I just have to drive it =; Of course from a business standpoint it makes sense to spend a little every now and then. Insurance isn't much more than full coverage was on the old truck. The last new truck was in 1984 so it's been a while.

I really liked my old truck too but I like this one a lot more.

oldtimer wrote:
Very nice. I would be interested in fuel mileage while towing after its broken in of course.

The guys on TDS are saying it's not much better than the older 7.3 trucks were towing but are claiming low 20s empty. That seems close to what my info center is giving me but I haven't ran it enough to hand calculate yet.

Slowpoke wrote:
Nice.....very nice!

That ought to last you till you're to old to race. =;

Congratulations!

That's what I was thinking. I mentioned to the salesman that it would probably be the last truck I would buy and he said he hoped not. I'm 52 now so I'm thinking it will probably last until I'm too old to drive :-k

themadreefer wrote:
good purchase, and support for FORD.

nice looking truck.

I've always been a Ford guy and this truck has to be head and shoulders above what GM and Dodge are offering. I did keep the price down by ordering it equipped the way I wanted. Ford is not only an American company but the truck plant where this was built is about 30 miles from where I live so I feel it's a local company as well. I know quite a few people and have customers that work there so I feel like I'm giving back to some of my customers and the local economy.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:32 pm 

i teethed on a 1955 chevy my day had when i was a young lad(i think about 8 or 9 years old), and I have been a dire hard gm guy until the bail out by our so called government. hence the reason why i now drive/own a ford f250 truck now and will continue to own a ford until i am buried 6 feet in the ground

now i might be a hypocrite, but i am not getting rid of my 78 camaro. 8-[

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:54 am 

themadreefer wrote:
now i might be a hypocrite, but i am not getting rid of my 78 camaro. 8-[

That's cause it was before the bail out. ;-)

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Reefer I'm with ya on the "Government Motors" thingie. Faye is starting to look at new cars since her old Cavalier has had a major engine problem and anything GM or Chrysler is out of the question! So far it's KIA, Hyundai or Toyota as all these are produced here in the USA.

Oh, and did you know that Phord Fusion cars are made in and imported from Mexico? O:)

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Was talking to my brother in law last weekend and the subject came up with diesel trucks. He's a Phord guy and he told me that they are now producing their own diesel engines instead of using the International brand engines? According to him, the new Phord diesel is using a new casting material for their blocks. Here's the info on that CGI casting and what it means to us as racers! =;

Quote:
WHAT IS CGI?

CGI, or Compacted Graphite Iron, features a molecular makeup that creates a tightly-interconnected graphite during the casting process. CGI casts much like gray iron, but offers more hardness, more fatigue strength, superior ductility and greater tensile strength…sort of a happy medium between gray iron and ductile iron. The compacted graphite molecular shape, often referred to as “semi-nodular,” makes it less brittle and more stable than gray iron.
From a molecular standpoint, the basic difference between gray iron and compacted graphite iron lies in the graphite shape. The makeup of the graphite mix in CGI is more tightly compacted and “interwoven” (the molecular structure is similar to a bunch of tiny worms that are interlaced in a tight matrix). Gray iron’s makeup features graphite that’s similar to a mix of odd-shaped, larger and more widely dispersed flakes. Once you realize this difference, it’s not difficult to understand why CGI offers greater strength and ductility.
CGI is up to 75% stronger than gray iron. Although relatively “new” in the automotive field, CGI was actually conceived and patented way back in 1949, but its use was delayed until production manufacturing and machining techniques were developed to handle this stuff. Although not as strong as ductile iron, CGI is 500% more fatigue resistant than aluminum and 200% as resistant to fatigue compared with gray iron. In other words, it’s ideal for racing engine blocks that need to withstand tremendous pressures and thermal levels. Also, because of its increased strength, a block can be machined to reduce weight by as much as 22% compared with gray iron, if the builder so chooses.
By the way, in terms of producing the block castings, CGI is only slightly higher in cost per pound than conventional gray iron, with very similar casting techniques, so raw CGI blocks shouldn’t carry a big cost penalty. When you compare the cost difference (in base material) between aluminum and CGI, compacted graphite iron becomes even more enticing when you consider that CGI is more fatigue resistant at extreme temperatures.
In slang terms, CGI is often referred to as the “titanium” of cast iron because of its additional strength and rigidity without the detriment of added weight.
CGI blocks offer greater stability and strength, which is of particular benefit in engines that produce high cylinder pressures. CGI blocks are very popular in Pro Stock and NASCAR Cup applications. The blocks are more stable and offer much lower wear characteristics. Several OEMs are using CGI for their blocks. For example, Audi V8 diesel blocks are cast from CGI, and since the material has such excellent strength characteristics, the blocks are actually cast in place as part of the block, then laser-etched and fractured off to achieve a perfect cap-to-block fit (the same approach used in powder metal rods with fractured caps). Other OEMs (to name but a few) currently using CGI for their engine blocks include BMW, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, GM/Opel, Suzuki and Aston Martin.
The CGI 5.8L blocks used in Toyota’s NASCAR truck program, as another example, weigh a mere 195 lbs. and feature 3mm-thick cylinder walls.
In theory, a CGI block can be final-produced to a lighter overall weight than an equal-sized aluminum block with equal strength/density (although it’s suspected that not many builders take advantage of this for fear of giving up the rigidity factor).

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:53 pm 

very nice truck chuck,congratulations....hard work does pay off! =D>

I just got my first deisel (06 duramax) last fall and i love it,so i can imagine how you feel about that one.....but unlike the others i have to stay true to my roots....GM ;-)

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:11 pm 

I've read they recommend you put at least 500 miles on it before towing anything heavy and I only had 320 on it by Monday. A friend of mine stopped in Monday and told me he was going to Nashville (150 miles from here) to drop off some wheels and I suggested he take mine so it would the 500 on it by this weekend. I had him check the fuel mileage and it got right at 21. I'm pretty happy with that and it should improve some as it gets a few more miles on it. I'll make a short pull with it Friday to test at Ohio Valley then a 135 mile trip to Edgewater Saturday for our 1st UMTR event.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:08 am 

that makes sense to break it in a little before putting a load on it....but .... if your trailer and car are similar to mine the car is 2900 with me in it and the trailer i have is 3240 empty that is not much weight,i just had an 8800 pound bobcat behind mine(not counting the trailer) and the truck did not even know it was there....these deisels are amazing!

Board index » Racing Forum » Show Off Your Stuff!