Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Show Off Your Stuff!

Post subject: Wire Guy's ride...
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:33 pm 

Fairly new to this forum, I'd figure I would let yall see what we put together last year...this is a 232" Harry Clack car that Bo Nickens won the 02 Comp wars in. Originally a V6 deal...we stuffed a 388" 18* motor in and went 4.83 at 141 and 4.52 at 153 with a 175 shot...enjoy!

This pic is on motor...

a '40's war bond...

I now this isn't error correct, but I couldn't get myself to do the "Army Air Corp" LOL

8 inches between the tires!!!! #-o

Post subject: Re: Wire Guy's ride...
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:21 am 
Site Admin

Jeff are those two links connected to the upper frame tubes just ahead of the foot box suppose to limit front end rise? Never seen anything like that on a car before? And is that top tube where it looks like paint is missing a front "slip joint"? Does it have one like that in the rear half near the engine?

Kind of unusual to see a car that long with the front tires up that high especially with an SBC, so I guess it works OK huh. ;-)

Those headers look kinda small? What diameter tube is that?

Nice looking ride. Different, but nicely done just the same.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:53 pm 

Ken,

Yes those are adjustable slips. The only other slip in the car are in upright right behind the front tires. The car is 232" on the long side and its all in the front...look through the pics and you can see how close the motor is to the driver. Car works very well...I went 1.055 on motor when I first got it out. Stays right around 1.07...went 1.02 on spray turning it on .250 out!!!

The builder, Harry Clack, said they have many hours of R&D time in the front half of this car. I'm adding some inches to rear in a few weeks....trying to decide if it will need a slip back there????? Any ideas?

The headers were 1 7/8 to 2" stepped Fab Shops...I have a set of 2-2 1/8 on the way for the new 15* heads.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Dunno that much about them skinny cars. I've owned two in the past and both were hard tails. The last one was a 97 235" Cameron Double Slip and it did seem to work well with the pump gas SBC I had in it. The guy that had it before I got it ran a flat tappet 540 BBC in it that went 4.80s all day long. We were 1.15 in the short times on that one with the pump gas engine and mid 5.20s in the eight mile.

There's probably gonna be some guys that will try to talk you into putting a 4 link on it but it's hard to beat a good hard tail on a decent track. I do believe that if I was going to buy a new car, it would probably be another hard tail just because of the difference in weight. That's all I've ever owned and I was happy with the last one I had. In fact, I do wish I had never sold that one!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:56 am 

There will never be suspension on this car or any dragster I own! I'm a small block guy chassis and weight are everything to me! So far I haven't had any trouble getting down the tracks we run...except when I got greedy and tried to ut the comp tires back on...it shook hard!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:31 am 
Site Admin

I raced those hard tail cars at 4 of the 7 or so tracks near me and never had a problem getting down any of'em and one of those was a little on the rough side.

The only tricky part of driving a hard tail is learning how to shut it down and keep it from bouncing. I was lucky enough to have a friend with one that taught me what I needed to know to prevent that and he also told me how to stop it if it started.

And I'm with ya on the SBCs too as I've never owned but one BBC and that was in the first digger I bought. Nothing personal, just don't like'em is all. After all, anyone can make a big engine run, hey! ;-) It tickles me now when people walk by my Camaro and see that it has an SBC in it. They usually do a "double take" and are amazed that it runs as well as it does.

Oh, and you'll be happy with what Curtis does on your heads. I had a well respected SBC builder flow one of mine after I got them back and they were within about 6cfm of what Curtis told me they were, which was probably just the difference in flow benches.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:39 pm 

I really like the paint /graphics on the car. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 pm 

WR169 wrote:
I really like the paint /graphics on the car. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

We appreciate it....it's actually a wrap! Way cheaper than paint!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:12 am 

I like the graghics I guess it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than paint. Nice job on the wiring also ;-)

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:14 am 

Very very nice digger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008 P.S.C.A B1 Champ

2010 WCHRA SPM Champ

Board index » Racing Forum » Show Off Your Stuff!