Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Show Off Your Stuff!

Post subject: Rick's Dragster
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:18 pm 

I finally made a deal on a 4-link dragster and picked it up and brought it to its new home today.

It is a 235" Mullis 4-link. Bought it rolling minus rear tires/wheels. Will be looking for some 15" Aluma-stars for it and buying new slicks. Basically everything else came with the car that was in it when they raced it then pulled the BBC and PG. Scoop and carb pan for a 4500 carb included. Its been a S/C car most of its life and when they decided to build the big 638ci to go T/D racing they bought a new longer Mullis car for that. Should work good with the sbc and be NHRA legal etc.

The paint is kinda misleading in the pic. The front/top area of car is kind of maroon with purple metallic so when you see it from different angles it looks different. In sun it looks more purplish.

Now I'll be looking for an enclosed trailer too.

Here are a couple of pics.

Rick =;

Post subject: Re: Rick's Dragster
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:53 am 

Nice looking car !!! welcome to the club ;) I've drove a mullis a few times not bad rides at all \:D/

They prob had to buy a new car for TD as you cant go faster then 7.50 with that car in IHRA

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:50 pm 

good looking "pipe rack" :-# !!!!!!

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Trust me, you're gonna love that thing! Dunno if I'd have bought a 4 link though? Those are a couple of hundred pounds heavier than a slip car and more expensive. They're also not as fast due to the weight. Might be a better deal on rough race tracks though.

My "junk" pump gas engine went 5.20s and right at 130 MPH in that Cameron car I had and you never had to worry about where it was going to go when you left the starting line with it either! Dayum, I wish I still had that car! O:)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:09 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Trust me, you're gonna love that thing! Dunno if I'd have bought a 4 link though? Those are a couple of hundred pounds heavier than a slip car and more expensive. They're also not as fast due to the weight. Might be a better deal on rough race tracks though.

Much better deal on a bad track =; I've swingarmed 2 cars .. 100lbs more but usually slow down more then a tenth due to driveshaft and shocks but well worth it for being consistent on all tracks. I've been 4.50@152 in a suspended car and 4.65@148 in a nonsuspended car felt like I got my rear whipped at the end of the day in the nonsuspended car.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:10 pm 

Congrats Rick.I like it.Mine was alot fo fun,especially since a lil ol budget 383 I built got it in the 5.40's ;-) ..So easy to drive.

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yup, the easy to drive part can actually get boring at times. The speed sensation is still there and may be amplified somewhat because you're ass is only 6 inches off the ground, but it allows you to concentrate more on doing your job on the tree and driving the finish line etc rather than having to worry about where the car is going. Like I said, wish I had mine back! #-o

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:16 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Yup, the easy to drive part can actually get boring at times. The speed sensation is still there and may be amplified somewhat because you're a&& is only 6 inches off the ground, but it allows you to concentrate more on doing your job on the tree and driving the finish line etc rather than having to worry about where the car is going. Like I said, wish I had mine back! #-o

Very true Ken,Only thing I hated about mine(both) was the small cages,squeezing my fat butt in there and not being able to move hardly at all.A 23 or 24 inch cage would've fixed that though. ;-)

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:54 pm 

traysvega wrote:
Ken0069 wrote:
Yup, the easy to drive part can actually get boring at times. The speed sensation is still there and may be amplified somewhat because you're a&& is only 6 inches off the ground, but it allows you to concentrate more on doing your job on the tree and driving the finish line etc rather than having to worry about where the car is going. Like I said, wish I had mine back! #-o

Very true Ken,Only thing I hated about mine(both) was the small cages,squeezing my fat butt in there and not being able to move hardly at all.A 23 or 24 inch cage would've fixed that though. ;-)

This one has an honest 23" inside the cage at the shoulders. It also has a seat with some type of pump up air thingie that you can adjust to make it more comfy for your back. :-$ I sat in a couple of 20-21" dragsters when looking for this one, but seemed pretty snug in the shoulders and I think resale is less on them because it reduces the potential market.

It'll be interesting to see how it feels. The quickest and fastest I've gone was the Camaro at 5.48 @ 125 and geared too steep to run a full 1/4 but ran to 1000' which was ~ 145mph. I've had the wind in my face this year with the roadster so that was different, but used to it now.

Ken069 wrote:

Actually I know a guy with a slip joint locally who was trying to sell it, but I never liked the idea of one. Seems like a bad idea to build a place in the frame that is going to bend every time you hit a bump or launch etc. I was pretty set on a real suspension ie 4-link, swingarm, monoshock etc. A hardtail would've been a lot cheaper and lighter and would have worked fine MOST of the time. I've seen a few of them bounce like a basketball in the shutdown when the driver got on the brakes too hard. What's an extra hundred pounds anyway. If I want it to be faster that's easy. I want it consistent.

nlmsc wrote:
Didn't like the roadster??

My goal is to give myself the best chance possible to win bracket racing and this looks like the tool to use for that. The view of the race will be better with this and it's already certified. I won't have time to make the roadster certifiable due to work, so I thought it was time to put that OT to good use.

Rick

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:41 pm 

Nice looking car rick, good luck with it..

I know about the bounce in the shutdown especially with a foot brake.. I've learnt to use the chute every run mind you it can still get into a bounce if its a bit bumpy..

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

I know you guys don't want to hear this but the way to stop bounce is with throttle! You can blip the throttle when it bounces and it will STOP ASAP! Trick is to ease off the throttle and let the car settle down then ease on the brake. Snap off and cram on the brake will induce bounce nearly every time.

Did I mention that I'd like to have my old dragster back? =P~

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:00 pm 

Ken, I think you should have kept your dragster. If I remember correctly you said you could not afford it. You would probably be suprised as to how much you have spent trying to get that car to do what you want. O:)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:09 pm 

A couple more pics of the dragster outside.

Rick

Board index » Racing Forum » Show Off Your Stuff!