Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Show Off Your Stuff!

Post subject: Weekend pic
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:21 pm 

Just showing off. I think i need to switch to a stiffer sidewall tire. Shakes a bit on launch.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:32 pm 

nice

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe more air pressure?  I've run some MTs at over 10psig on a 2450lb car and they worked better than they did at 8.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:36 pm 

That was at 10 psi. =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:02 pm 

Car leaves great. I would keep bumping it up till it spins or 60's go downor up depending how you look at it.. =;

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:51 am 

Used to run my MT's at 12 psi.  That's just where they were happy.  Made for long tire life too.

-Tanner

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:24 am 

I had MTs on my Vega for awhile.... 13 psi is where it stoped shaking  O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:10 pm 

Nice wheelie. I'll try them at 13psi next race. Was that with a "S" sidewall tire? I ran the "S" tires on my other car at 9psi and it never shook. The car reacted better too. I wanted "S" tires for this one but forgot to mention it when i ordered them. You said you had M/T's. What are you running now? Are other brands any better or worse? I'll need new tires for next season, just wandering if i should go with something other than M/T's.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:03 am 

jmech wrote:
Nice wheelie. I'll try them at 13psi next race. Was that with a "S" sidewall tire? I ran the "S" tires on my other car at 9psi and it never shook. The car reacted better too. I wanted "S" tires for this one but forgot to mention it when i ordered them. You said you had M/T's. What are you running now? Are other brands any better or worse? I'll need new tires for next season, just wandering if i should go with something other than M/T's.

I don't remember if it was the stiff sidewall or not :-k . Im running Hooser now on the Beretta as MT does not make a 16x33...

I ran Pheonix on the Vega before I tried the MT's. With them I only ran 6 psi in them and got over 100 1/4 mile runs with them =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:06 am 
Site Admin

I ran a set of 3088 MTs last year and the car would "dead hook" with the old engine.  Had handling problems with the car later in the year with the new bullet and thought the MTs were the problem so bought a set of Hoosiers over the winter for this year.  Handling problems were still there so can't say that the MTs were the cause.  We fixed the handling problem and I do still have those MTs and I am planning to run them again to see how the car will work with them since I've got the car where I can drive it!  

The quickest short time I've run (1.15) has been with the Hoosiers but to be fare, the gear in the car now is a 5:43 and I had a 4:86 in it when we ran the MTs.  If memory serves last year we were 1.16 or so on the short time.  Quickest the car has been was 5.52 last year on the MTs.  This year it's gone 5.53 in the heat so when the air gets better in October we may be a tick faster than last year but again, the car has a different gear and other stuff from last year.

So, having said all that, I really can't say that the Hoosiers are any better for my car than the MTs.

And on a final note.  I got my MTs from Ron Owens.  He didn't have a deal with Hoosier so I had to buy them elsewhere and they (the Hoosiers) were VERY expensive compared to the MTs!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:32 am 

I had well over 200 passes on my MTs and replaced them when I was having issues with the car going left. I replaced them with the same tire and the problem was still there and the 60' times were the same.  Depending on the track and the air the 60 is in the 1.17 - 1.19 range.  Turns out the clutch was slipping.  I use the stiff sidewall tire. The MT tech guy told me the stiff sidewall is what you want to use on a door car with rear suspension, the regular sidewall for dragsters and cars without rear suspension.  I run mine at 5 lbs, but my car is fairly light, Heavier cars will require higher air pressure.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Show Off Your Stuff!