Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Show Off Your Stuff!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:09 am 

greetings all
i have just had a friend complete some repairs on my car in Carbon Fibre & thought i would post up some pic's

the car is due to go to the body shop this week to be painted & as soon as its back i will post up some more pic's

i will be interested to hear your thoughts

[img][img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/rodrocket/Pontiac/DSC00012.jpg[/img]
[/img]

[img][img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/rodrocket/Pontiac/DSC00013.jpg[/img]
[/img]

here is a link for some other pictures of it

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/r ... ?start=all

regards
rod

Last edited by rodrocket on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:34 am 

It's looking good Rod.......Bringing back memmories of mine and wondering when I would have it ready for paint =; =; .

Can't wait till it's done can you O:) O:) Barry

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:42 am 

nice car rod.

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:11 am 

Nice car. You win the "biggest garage" award. =D>

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:04 am 
Site Admin

bbc572 wrote:
You win the "biggest garage" award. =D>

Actually it's a business so I don't think it meets the "spirit" of the original post. O:) If he didn't run a business out of it then he probably wouldn't have built that large a building. =;

Rod what have you done about an intake for your engine? I guess I need to dig up that old post to see if there was something I missed there.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:19 am 
Site Admin

That is going to be some rocket there Rod. =; =;

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:03 pm 

Hey Rod that Poncho is looking good. Can you tell us anything about working with the Carbon fiber? Do you use a special resin? Was the carbon fiber cloth hard to come by or expencive? I'm familiar with fiberglass repairs, even flexable bumper repairs, but never had anything to do with carbon fiber. I was reading that they made high strength parts with a vacume, to get all the air out, but with a good repair system, it could lend it'self to making medium strong parts for some of the guys in here. Like hoods made off the mold of their old hood, that isn't going to crack around fasteners or chip an edge when off ect.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:56 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Rod what have you done about an intake for your engine? I guess I need to dig up that old post to see if there was something I missed there.

Hi Ken
i bought a CFE Sheetmetal manifold for my engine, the runners arnt much larger but are about 5 1/4" long

regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:22 pm 

Bubstr wrote:
Hey Rod that Poncho is looking good. Can you tell us anything about working with the Carbon fiber? Do you use a special resin? Was the carbon fiber cloth hard to come by or expencive? I'm familiar with fiberglass repairs, even flexable bumper repairs, but never had anything to do with carbon fiber. I was reading that they made high strength parts with a vacume, to get all the air out, but with a good repair system, it could lend it'self to making medium strong parts for some of the guys in here. Like hoods made off the mold of their old hood, that isn't going to crack around fasteners or chip an edge when off ect.

i was very very lucky here in more ways that one

first off the guy who did it for me works in the Aircraft industry & works with Carbon most days, as my car is mostly carbon it was natural to do the repairs in carbon

as it was only small minor repairs he didnt need to vacumme bag any of it
but from the looks of it if you can Fiberglass well you will have no problems useing carbon

he is going to build a hood for a friend of mine & is going to use a steel hood for the plug, i was amased when he told me that if your not very carefull when you put it under vacumme you can actually crush the steel hood as it can suck the hood skin into the reinforcement frame

as for the Resin i dont know if its different to Fiberglass or not but i can find out for you, i know one thing the mixing ratio is critical & he does it on a set of scales that you can see in some of the pictures

as for the Carbon cloth he obtained that [-X & has left me what he didnt use, i think i have enought to build a car or two =;

now that the car is going to be painted i am going to get him to make me a new dash as the one from the car looks a little rough now that all the sheetmetal have been replaced & powdercoated, i am going to leave the dash raw Carbon & just clear it to show it off a little

if your going to use Carbon Fibre make sure you use a good respirator or atleast a charcoal filter when sanding it

regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:59 pm 

It would be interesting to know, never know when that knowlege could come in handy. Can you see all the forum getting out the seal a meal machines their wife never used and making their own high buck rods. lol That may be a strech, but I could think of several things it could come in handy for.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:28 pm 

Bubstr wrote:
It would be interesting to know, never know when that knowlege could come in handy. Can you see all the forum getting out the seal a meal machines their wife never used and making their own high buck rods. lol That may be a strech, but I could think of several things it could come in handy for.

i belive that the set-up takes a lot longer with Carbon

take for example the hole in the top of the guard were the Dzus fastner was, if you were useing glass you would fill it with chop strand & then maybe put one or two layers of glass over it

the way it was repaired with Carbon was a dozen or so small circles of Carbon cloth was cut out to fit inside the hole, Tape was applied to the back of the hole, the hole was filled buy putting resin into the hole then a small peice of carbon, more resin, more carbon ect until the hole was filled, it was left for two days to dry out throughly

once it was dry, the tape was remover & the complete process was repeated from the other side, i dont know if its "standard" to do it like this of if thats how its done in the Aircraft industry but the finnish & quality is awsome

go to my Photobucket link & have a look through it will give you an idea, the photos are large format so you can zoom in & still keep the quality for a clearer look

regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:54 am 

greetings all
just a further update on my car if anybody is interested

i have been at the Panel Shop most of the day & the pictures below tell the story

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:57 am 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:00 am 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:03 am 

we still have a few of the hang on panels to paint & then apply the Three layer Pearl red stripe & its done

i will have the car home next week & its all systems go

looks like Santa has headed south for the warmer climate =D>

regards
rod

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Show Off Your Stuff!